PDA

View Full Version : [Game] Professor Layton & The Curious Village

CodeZTM
05-18-2009, 11:54 PM
It's not often that a video game comes highly regarded to me from my parents. Usually, our tastes in games are horribly divided over an iron gate. That's on fire. With tigers guarding both sides.

And yet, that's what Professor Layton and the Curious Village (PLCV) was. It came highly regarded from my mother who has been playing it on again and off again for a month or so now.

So, with that in mind, I picked it up.

The plot is the standard mystery fanfare. You play as the brilliant Professor Layton and his apprentice. You are called to help solve the mystery of an inheritance problem in a town that LOVES puzzles. Eventually, things go batty and you find yourself embroiled in more mysteries than you can shake a mudkip at. The plot isn't winning any Pulitzers anytime soon, and the writing is choppy and kiddish at times, but that's not what the game is all about.

The first thing I noticed about it was its unique artwork. It's quite appealing towards younger generations (a good thing considering the content), and has a cute charm appeal towards those in my generation as well. The english voice acting is hilariously Britishy, many times making me feel like I'm playing a Saturday morning PBS cartoon rather than a serious video game.

But getting around the graphics, the gameplay is the standard point and click adventure game. Point where you want to go. Click on how to solve the puzzle. Standard fare, but for a DS title, it's expected and makes good use of the stylus and the system itself. It's slighly annoying in terms of when you lose or misplace your stylus as many puzzles can't be solved with your fingers (which I comically use many a time for other DS titles :lol:). But it does what it does and does it well, so I cannot complain.

However, I have some irritations with the actual puzzles. Granted, nearly 95% of them are actually fun and intuitive and can be solved with critical thinking. However, on the other hand, there are some that can only be solved with a high school education, which undermines the target audience. One such instance that comes to mind is when the following puzzle was presented.

_____ ______ times 1000 equals _____ (or something to this effect).

Each of the blanks must be filled by one and only one letter. Process of elimination gives you a 1/26 chance of getting the correct letter. However, with a high school education, you would know that the correct answer is M. This is because 1000 Millimeters equals 1 Meter. Younger children or even those not familiar with the metric system would be impossible to solve this puzzle. There are more like this one. Puzzles should not require backhand knowledge to solve them. That throws the aspect of "critical thinking" out the window.

PLCV is a great game that I think everybody should pick up. In the time of economic downturn, it's a cheap 25-30 dollars depending on where you look and you will get days of entertainment and fun out of it. Aggrivating fun, but fun nonetheless.

Oh, and it's all the better when you seen massive emails with some of the puzzles and confound your friends and family. :mrgreen:

Rust
05-19-2009, 07:26 AM
To be honest, I hate the character designs in this game...they creep me out.

lol, and sometimes the game makes me really angry, cause it reminds me how dumb I am. :cry:

CodeZTM
05-19-2009, 11:26 AM
lol, and sometimes the game makes me really angry, cause it reminds me how dumb I am. :cry:

Oh me too. :lol: I hate it when I can't figure it out even WITH all three hints purchased.

Oculin
05-20-2009, 02:37 PM
I liked this game alot but it burnt me out on puzzles. I must admit though i really liked the story alot and all the charcters, The story was the mian thing that pushed me through the title. Maybe one day ill have some family members who are willing to play it~. Most of my family are into FPSs though.

Good review though~!

Trinton07
05-30-2009, 06:12 PM
I had been playing the game, but kept failing on all the puzzle and so I just got aggravated and stopped playing. :lol: