PDA

View Full Version : [GAME] Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift Review

BlueBlazer
05-20-2009, 08:07 AM
http://member.square-enix.com/na/blog/08043001.jpg

Iím almost positive that all of you have heard of the Final Fantasy Tactics series. It is one of the fathers of modern Strategy RPGs. The sequel to this game, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, came out in 2003. The game had punishing laws that you had to follow during battles but was still a blast. The sequel loosens up on the laws, but does it still provide a good time? The answer to that is yes. But should you buy it? Not necessarily.

This game is definitely for the hardcore SRPG audience rather than people new to the genre. It has a lot of elements that will definitely be a turn off to some people (the laws for one thing) so if youíre a hardcore SRPG fan, buy it. If not, just rent it.

The games story is basic storybook affair here. I mean that quite literally too. You are Luso, the class clown. At the beginning of the game, instead of detention, Luso gets to go and clean up the library. While there, he finds an extremely old book. He opens it up, and the pages are empty, so he decides to write his name in it. He soon realizes that what he just did was a very bad decision because he got sucked into a completely different world...inside of the book. Itís not much but it gives you the motivation to keep going through.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/thumb/c/cb/A2grimoire.JPG/200px-A2grimoire.JPG
This is the Grimoire

FFTA2 definitely has a slower pace than a lot of other strategy games out nowadays. If youíre used to Disgaea (like I was) be prepared for a change of pace. Some of the battles take up to an hour which bugged me quite a bit at times.

The law system is one of the main contributors to the slower pace. If I was trying to obey the law so that I would get the law bonus (the law bonus is a bonus you get after each battle if you obey the law, it can be gold, weapons, etc.) and so that I could revive my characters if they died (you canít revive if you break the law). Some of them are pretty easy like donít use ranged weapons, or donít use magic attacks. But others are tough like no harming males (or females at times), no attacks that knock back the enemy (which is generally completely random because critical hits happen once in a while which knocks back the enemy), or even donít attack the enemy. It was one of my least favorite elements of the game.

The battles usually consist of 6 characters on each side (sometimes you only get to pick 3 or 4 because of guest characters or if itís a speed battle against 4 others). You can pick any of the characters in your clan (although some laws forbid ranged weapons, bludgeoning weapons, etc.). If you attack from the front of the enemy, you do minimal damage, if you attack from the side you do average damage, but attacking from the back of the enemy is your best option because it provides maximum damage to the enemy. From there on itís standard SRPG affairs (which is quite fun).

http://cdn1.gamepro.com/article_img/gamepro/206519-39-1.jpg

One of the things I loved about the game was the job system. There is an incredible amount of jobs you can get. Some of them have pretty hefty pre-requisites but are definitely worth it. All of them have numerous abilities that afflict status effects on enemies as well as some that do hefty amounts of damage.

Soundtracks of Final Fantasy games are almost always the highlight for me and itís no exception in FFTA2. It has a great selection of tracks that all sound very nice (as always with DS games, headphones are recommended).

The game looks OK at times and at other times it looks great. It looks just OK when you are on the overworld map. Itís just a map of where you are with Lusoís sprite moving along on it. But when it looks great, it really shines. Later in the game when you get some of the stronger attacks, they have fantastic special effects and they really look great.

http://media.nintendo.com/nintendo/bin/TEf9F8TwC_mAY-zHe7fWwoxx-q6IRhiV/vgbh9AD40m33dndGYwNPXMe2vbki4rIl.jpg

For a handheld game, itís a beast in terms of longevity. Playing through story mode took me around 45 hours and Iím still playing it to pass by time on occasion. Iíve played completed around 120 missions and Iím at about 45 hours. Completing all of the 300-plus quests will take you well over one hundred hours.

Overall, FFTA2 is a great SRPG. I would recommend it to anyone who is a strategy enthusiast. If you donít particularly enjoy SRPGs, Iíd say go for a rent.

SilverLPJ
05-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Nice review. I loved FFTA I thought about getting this but was afraid that it woulden't be as good. I think I might get it now. I have to ask though if the job system is better in this game then FFTA?

Brineboy
05-20-2009, 02:34 PM
From what I have played in the game (only the first mission) the job system is better. This game is much better to because it introduces 1 (maybe 2) more races into the game which gives the game many more classes of jobs.

Also very nice review I have been waiting to get this game for awhile and I just need enough money to get it after I get everything else on my list.

Oculin
05-20-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm kind of sad it still holds the law system, it was helpful at times but seriosuly, no harming females/males? thats a bit trobulesome if the missions goal is defeat the enemy, i hated the no damaging monsters FFTA. Are the anti law cards stil there? Also can you save during battles? that would help with the hour long battles i would think.

good review but i think you could have gone a little more indepth.

Brineboy
05-20-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm kind of sad it still holds the law system, it was helpful at times but seriosuly, no harming females/males? thats a bit trobulesome if the missions goal is defeat the enemy, i hated the no damaging monsters FFTA. Are the anti law cards stil there? Also can you save during battles? that would help with the hour long battles i would think.

The laws in this game are no where near as punishing as they were in FFTA so I dont see the punishments being to bad if you dont follow them. Its more like you get rewarded for following them.

BlueBlazer
05-20-2009, 03:29 PM

I would have gone more in depth but I'm submitting it to Elder-Geek.com and they have a 600 word minimum and 800 word maximum I think. I don't think I'm going to keep reviewing for them though. I'm going to probably put reviews here and on GT and the occasional one on Elder-geek.

I only had one anti-law card and it was in one of the last battles.

EDIT: It wasn't an anti-law card, it protected the law instead (this girl would try to destroy the Judge's law so that you couldn't revive your party).

Richord
05-20-2009, 04:19 PM
This. Want.

Oculin
05-20-2009, 10:18 PM

I would have gone more in depth but I'm submitting it to Elder-Geek.com and they have a 600 word minimum and 800 word maximum I think. I don't think I'm going to keep reviewing for them though. I'm going to probably put reviews here and on GT and the occasional one on Elder-geek.

I only had one anti-law card and it was in one of the last battles.

EDIT: It wasn't an anti-law card, it protected the law instead (this girl would try to destroy the Judge's law so that you couldn't revive your party).
oh thats really lame, you deinflty should concider a diffrent site. 800 words is a decent amount but mine probaly wouldnt fit for the most part.

BlueBlazer
05-21-2009, 06:04 AM
They just have it like that so they don't end up with 8 page reviews. *coughIGNcough* :P

Oculin
05-21-2009, 02:00 PM
They just have it like that so they don't end up with 8 page reviews. *coughIGNcough* :P
lol i question if my reivews are too long or too short. I usually just write til i feel like ive gotten everything out, then if i did a rant or something i gerneally go back and delete it, because that isn't very professional ina review lol. Theres a reason why i removed my Shenmue 2 Review from the internet...It was 100% rant agiasnt the series not becoming popular basically... maybe one day ill reword it and put it out as a real review.

BlueBlazer
05-21-2009, 02:31 PM
lol i question if my reivews are too long or too short. I usually just write til i feel like ive gotten everything out, then if i did a rant or something i gerneally go back and delete it, because that isn't very professional ina review lol. Theres a reason why i removed my Shenmue 2 Review from the internet...It was 100% rant agiasnt the series not becoming popular basically... maybe one day ill reword it and put it out as a real review.
That's usually what I do as well. That's what I did with my God Hand review (didn't delete it, just wrote a lot into it because there is so much to talk about).

Oculin
05-21-2009, 02:55 PM
That's usually what I do as well. That's what I did with my God Hand review (didn't delete it, just wrote a lot into it because there is so much to talk about).
Well yeah, I dont mind them being long as tlong as they have approriate review material in it, Btw my freinds had this game and gave you a thumbs up for playing it and said it was awsome game lol. He was looking over my shoulder when i was reading your review D:

BlueBlazer
05-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Well yeah, I dont mind them being long as tlong as they have approriate review material in it, Btw my freinds had this game and gave you a thumbs up for playing it and said it was awsome game lol. He was looking over my shoulder when i was reading your review D:
Hahaha. Tell him thanks. :P