PDA

View Full Version : Game List

Syrup
05-22-2009, 02:41 PM
I think we should get a clarified list of metal gear games being played. Are there any others i want to know
So far the list is
Metal gear
Metal Gear:Snakes revenge
MGS1-4
Mgs touch
Mgs portableops 1-2

Haruka
05-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Well I'm sure the games will be added to the site as soon as necessary.

But why not, certainly keep it going, I personally know nothing about the MG scene.

Slowflake
05-22-2009, 03:42 PM
I doubt Snake's Revenge is going to be played, but Metal Gear 2 probably will.

whitemage730
05-22-2009, 04:04 PM
I thought that Snakes Revenge and MG2 were the same thing! Goes to show how much I know about Metal Gear XD

Slowflake
05-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Nope. Snake's Revenge is a non-canon sequel to the NES version of Metal Gear, and Kojima had nothing to do with either. Meanwhile, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake was the canon sequel of the equally canon MSX version of Metal Gear, and both were made by Kojima.

Now I imagine you're all, wait, what? Lemme explain. First there was the MSX version of Metal Gear, made by Kojima. However, the MSX only existed in Japan, so in order to make it to the rest of the world they had to port it to the NES. This was done without any involvement whatsoever by Kojima, and so the game was heavily altered, nearly every time for the worse. This is the game AVGN reviewed, and one Kojima himself qualified as "complete garbage".

Konami then made a so-called sequel to the NES version, Snake's Revenge, once again without any involvement by Kojima. As you can imagine, Kojima wasn't very happy with this, as it was made by the same folks who butchered his original vision. So he made his own, canon sequel exclusively for the MSX, which would come to be known as Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

Both MSX games would later be included in Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, while the NES games would've been wiped from history, if not for the simple fact that these were the only Metal Gear games that existed in the non-Japanese world for an entire decade, until Metal Gear Solid was released worldwide on the PS1 in 1998. So these NES titles are the games most fans remember as the originals (or, alternatively, some of them think MGS was the first Metal Gear game ever).

However, it's worth pointing out that Metal Gear Solid built on the story of Kojima's games on the MSX (such as any references to Zanzibar, for example). The link was even pushed further by implementing a lot, and I do mean a lot of level design quirks from MG2, possibly for the benefit of the non-Japanese players who never ever played MG2 up to that point.

So for all intents and purposes, the MSX games are good and canon, while the NES ones are garbage and should be ejected from our collective memories. Is that a little bit clearer?

zach2m1
05-22-2009, 05:14 PM
I think we should get a clarified list of metal gear games being played. Are there any others i want to know
So far the list is
Metal gear
Metal Gear:Snakes revenge

Syrup the NES versions are HORABLE compared to the MSX games. The MSX games ARE part of the actual story and the NES versions are actually really bad compared to the MSX games. I think the should also play the ACID games as well, (IDK really) like its not part of the actual story its a what if? scenario. And you are forgetting an amazing game called Ghost Babel! For the GBA that is the best hand held MG game. And I dont think TSG should play MGS touch it really is not that good. I played it and beat it, I would rather play the ACID series. (Yea its that bad)

windows98
05-22-2009, 05:40 PM
there is no portable ops 2. you might have been thinking of metal gear ac!d 1 and 2. you also forgot ghost babel. i think phil said he was going to play that.

Blaumagier
05-23-2009, 04:02 PM
I do believe they said they will play in chronological order,

MGS3 -> Ghost Babel -> Portable Ops -> Metal Gear -> (they didn't say it when they said this time line during the marathon but this would go here) Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake -> MGS (PS1) -> MGS2 -> MGS TTS (GCN)

They mentioned that they probably wouldn't play the Ac!d series, which is disappointing to me because that series is actually very awesome once you get over the "WHY DO THEY KEEP RUINING GOOD SERIES WITH THIS CARD GAME CRAP" and actually play it.

I'm sure that TSG has ejected the existence of the NES games from all memory banks and you should too, the actual canon games were made available to English speakers via MGS3 Subsistence.