PDA

View Full Version : [Game] Kirby's Air Ride

Remino52
05-23-2009, 08:57 AM
http://www.tycromedia.com/images/GameCube%20Kirby%20Air%20Ride.jpg

Platforms: Nintendo Gamecube
My score: 8/10
Comments: It definitely isn't as good as Mario Kart. But it is a blast with friends.

Kirby's Air Ride is a very interesting spin-off. Personally, I haven't played an amazing Kirby game since Kirby 64. (I NEVER played Amazing Mirror or Canvas Curse BTW) But this one is very good, especially for a spin-off. Similar to Mario Kart. Kirby is a racing game that uses elements from the mainstream Kirby games and makes a fun racer. Kirby's Air Ride can be played with up to 4 people. But even more with a LAN adapter, but I have NO IDEA how that works so sorry. Air Ride features 3 unique game modes, Air Ride, Top Ride, and City Trial. Also, like Nintendo's "Excite" series, it isn't the most important thing to win first place, instead you need to try and accomplish individual tasks for each mode, which you can view from the Checklist Menus.

Air Ride: Air Ride is the most basic mode in the game. The controls are simple.

NOTE: This game accelerates your vehicle for you.
A: Brake (Release A when charged to boost, SOME vehicles can't boost)
A When Near Enemy: Inhale
Control Stick: Turn/Spin (Attack) Fly by tilting down on the control stick off a slope.
C Stick: Camera

In a simple match all you do is take advantage of the enemies and environments to take first. Use all possible slopes to fly. If you have a vehicle that moves faster in air, try and find the best ways into the air. There are 8 courses plus an unlockable course. Sub-modes include Time Attack where you race 3 laps in the fastest time possible. And Free Run, where you can do as many laps as you want.

Top Ride:Some consider Top Ride their favorite mode. Not mine, but it is most certainly fun. It also uses the least amount of controls in the game.

A: Boost
Control Stick: Turn

As the name suggests, the game is played from an aerial view. Or a Table Top view. You can take control of one of two machines. I prefer the Red One, but you need to play for yourself. There are 7 unique tracks with there own theme and special events.

Fire
Grass
Light
Metal
Sand
Sky
Water

There also special items you can use to your advantage.

City Trial: This is easily my favorite mode. But hey, it is my opinion. The controls are the exact same from Air Ride. But now if you Hold A+Down on the Control Stick, you can get off of your machine. The object of this game is to break open boxes to find power-ups and items to destroy other players and to upgrade your vehicle for a special minigame at the end. There are a multitude of different minigames so it is good to make your vehicle balanced for every possible game. Also, all of the vehicles that you can unlock in Air Ride are scattered around the City, however you start with a City Trial exclusive the Compact Star which is OK at start. If you find a vehicle you like, just get off your old one and head on. The power-ups and items are different too.

Power-ups:
Boost
Top Speed
Weight
Charge
Glide
HP
Offense
Defense

Items:
Gordos (Those invincible spiky ball guys)
Rapid Spin
Rocket Launcher
Invincibility
Battery (Ultra Speed)
Sensory Bomb

Also all copy abilities from Air Ride can be obtained through Red Boxes and another special place in the city. Aside from the Air Ride machines, there are two special machines that you need to discover for your self.

Checklist: The main objectives in this game are found here. There are 120 missions for each mode. If you do simple math, you get 360 MISSIONS! These missions are used to unlock new machines in Air Ride, new items and options in Top Ride, and new games in City Trial plus many more. The missions range from ridiculously easy like finish in mid-air, to very demanding, like finish a certain track in a specific amount of time. As you work you will also unlock special purple squares, where you can place them where ever you want. But use them wisely.

Graphics: The graphics are pretty nice. They are nice and colorful, and the textures aren't too bad either. It has a very cartoony look.

Sound: The sound isn't incredible but Air Ride (The game, not the mode) offers some cool new tracks plus some older tracks to the hardcore Kirby fan.

Oculin
05-23-2009, 09:27 AM
This is a fun game, but i found it only fun when i turned health on, otherwise attacking the other players mostof the time feels like a waste of time. I might play this agian, it was a fun racer and defintly a diffrent pace then other ones, also i think other buttons can be used other then A for boost and suction if the A button for some reason doesnt suit your fancy. Good review overall~

Yuso
05-28-2009, 12:31 AM
ooooh. I simply loved racing as Meta Knight. Stay away from my sword!!!
The Trials were hard too. man. I couldn't beat Dedede for like ever.

whitemage730
05-28-2009, 06:10 AM
I was supposed to play this for the Kirby Marathon, but we had to drop it :(
Good review! :D

Zaerox Gamma
05-28-2009, 03:45 PM
KAR is absolute win. Especially Nebula Belt and the City Trial.

meta 14
06-22-2009, 11:09 PM
It's a fun game, I just liked free roming around the city but it kinda got boring

NSB
06-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Good times...
I played this game to death when I first got it... so much I broke the disk... lol

Fullsilverwolf
07-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Nice Review. I remember renting this game once, And I really liked it, too! I wonder why I stopped playing it?

Remino52
07-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Nice Review. I remember renting this game once, And I really liked it, too! I wonder why I stopped playing it?

Probably because it is hard as hell to get 100%.

otter
07-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I loooove playing the city battle mode at my firends house!
It's so unfair though because he's twice as good xD