PDA

View Full Version : Noteable Changes

TheSpeedGamers
05-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Big changes are about to happen in the forums!

We will be shifting many of the mods to staff status and making a couple additions to both the mods and chat ops.

Many of the current mods, if you weren’t aware, are the brain trust behind TSG. So much goes on behind the scenes and a lot of hard work is put into the marathons long before they ever start. We all have a strong line of communication and talk on a daily bases. These members are considered "staff". Don't think of Staff as forum based. However, of course forum members can work their way up to staff.

Moderators will take care of the forums. This wont effect how much we use the forums, we will be as active as ever. Mod is still the level above chat OP.

Chat Ops remain the same.

Each group has their own private section in the forums.

Thanks everyone for building such a great community!

P.s-extended amount of inactivity might result in repositioning of your title. For example, if you're a mod and haven't been on the forums in months, you could be demoted to chat op.

Haruka
05-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Heh, sounds pretty tasty. Many of the mods do deserve this, thought. Keep up the great job.

AlanEdgeHead
05-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Good news to hear. I hope the by the third or fourth time you guys do this again, however far into the future that may be, that I can become a chat OP. That's what I strive to be. Maybe one day a mod. And I'm on all the time. _awesome_

Hint hint. Nudge Nudge. Wink Wink. I'm joking.
Or am I?

But I prematurely send my congratulations to everyone who gets promoted in this movement. Make us proud! And help us strive to be that good and maybe one day become what we admire.

*Salutes*

kmmgreen5
05-29-2009, 11:04 AM
yes but the true question is @.@ when do we get the new forum software

localretard
05-29-2009, 12:55 PM
yes but the true question is @.@ when do we get the new forum software

Ask Gwellin... :?

Boo_24_7
05-29-2009, 01:04 PM
I noticed that Baltes has become a mod.
I bet it all has to do with the leg shaving, doesn't it. >:(

Haruka
05-29-2009, 01:08 PM
I noticed that Baltes has become a mod.
I bet it all has to do with the leg shaving, doesn't it. >:(
He actually has had that title all this time already. You seemingly just haven't noticed it. :)

capcommaster1881
05-29-2009, 01:09 PM
For a second I didnt know what was happening lol. The changes make more sense somewhat, this movement will make things better on the forums i hope :D

killerwombat
05-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Remember this, for all things tech, ask Gwellin.

I can't wait to see everything that is changed on the forums! As long as it isnt the return of the infamous Hello Kitty invasion of 4/1/09

Brineboy
05-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Does this have to do with all the mods now having their names in orange now?

killerwombat
05-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Does this have to do with all the mods now having their names in orange now?
I posted about this in the bugs section. At first I thought that it was just me. Is this going to be permanent?

kmmgreen5
05-29-2009, 02:02 PM
maybe we should have all the groups in just different shades of blue :P

Mega_Mario
05-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Hm... very interesting!

P.s-extended amount of inactivity might result in repositioning of your title. For example, if you're a mod and haven't been on the forums in months, you could be demoted to chat op.
Does this mean that Chat OPs could be demoted back to regular members?

TheSpeedGamers
05-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Hm... very interesting!

Does this mean that Chat OPs could be demoted back to regular members?

Yes, but it would take them being inactive for awhile. However all it takes is a pm if you're going on vacation ( an extremely long one), no computer access anymore , ect. and we'll make note of it so we don't mistakenly remove you.

@ everyone, I edited my original post to hopefully clarify.

The old Mods are now "Staff" and are orange. For an explanation on what being "staff" is read the Op

StopDropAndBear
05-29-2009, 02:31 PM
The forums are like a big bag of tropical Skittles now! I love it.

But this is as good a time as any to give props to our new orange overlords. I know they're such a huge part of keeping the TSG trains running on time and I love them for it. <3

CodeZTM
05-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Oooh. Yay for change. :D

nmufred
05-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Congratulations to the new staff members, I'm sure I know who they are, and they fully deserve it :).

Mega_Mario
05-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Yes, but it would take them being inactive for awhile. However all it takes is a pm if you're going on vacation ( an extremely long one), no computer access anymore , ect. and we'll make note of it so we don't mistakenly remove you.

Thanks for replying. I have already noticed three changes.

I'm still a little confused, but does the "ladder" now go like this:
Chat OP
Staff
Administrator

Slowflake
05-29-2009, 02:45 PM
For some reason this is feeling more like Diablo 2, with the blue and the green and now the orange. Now all we need is gold, and yellow, and change the regular users to just plain white.

And duped runes. Lots and lots of duped runes.

StopDropAndBear
05-29-2009, 02:58 PM

Chat OP
Staff
Administrator

That's my understanding, at least..but Gwellin did mention they are still ironing things out.

edit: oh well there ya go xD

Gwellin
05-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Chat OP
Staff
Administrator
In general, yes. Though we are moving to a stacking method where one could, for example, be a Moderator but not an OP. That would be rare though as we will try to maintain a promotion ladder.

Kylethedarkn
05-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Cool. Noticed somewhat of a bug maybe, or it could just be preference. However when you click on an orange name the person's profile page has a green name still and doesn't list them in any other group besides registered users.

Don't really know if that's a bug, but I thought I'd mention it. :)

DrewStern
05-29-2009, 03:03 PM
So Can a Mod be A Fan Artist and A Chat Op?

This Ladder Better Be Clear.

Quick Changes are Very Fun, I Wonder What TSG has in Store for the Future.

Oh, and What Does it Mean by the "Moderartor" of the Section?

Gwellin
05-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Cool. Noticed somewhat of a bug maybe, or it could just be preference. However when you click on an orange name the person's profile page has a green name still and doesn't list them in any other group besides registered users.

Don't really know if that's a bug, but I thought I'd mention it. :)
Ya, it has been noticed before. :| With this new group setup we may have to try and fix that.

fettouhi
05-29-2009, 03:04 PM
administrators are not above staff. they have a separate group to indentify them so people know who to contact if there is a bug or something. to be an admin you need high forum and homepage skills plus alot of time to spend working on the forum and blog.

TheSpeedGamers
05-29-2009, 03:05 PM

Chat OP
Staff
Administrator

That's correct. The reason for adding this last group is to separate the people who do the behind scenes stuff like planning, actually playing in a marathon, web design, ect. from our members who will be moderating the forums. A lot of people have came to me with the question of why a person who participates in our events are fit to moderate a forum. The answer is they deserve recognition, and up until now we used mod status to show this recognition. Now, they are listed as "staff"

Just to reiterate, if you wanted to work your way alllll the way up the poll you'd start as a member, then progress to chat op, mod next, and then staff (which I think will become increasingly rare).

kmmgreen5
05-29-2009, 03:08 PM
i see ........rainbow of people excellent

Gwellin
05-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Staff is involved in the planning of TSG and future marathons.

Moderator will moderate the forum, and possibly award medals.

Chat OP is as it is now, an OP in official TSG chats.

Official Artist, which will grow, will be asked directly to make art for official TSG use.

An example is Fettouhi, who (like most of the past Mods) is a part of the Staff, Moderators and Chat OP groups, all at once.

For the most part we will tack on new permissions, but the main progression ladder will be Chat OP then Moderator then Staff.

kmmgreen5
05-29-2009, 03:10 PM
kk but small question if you become a mod does that mean not eligible to win prizes @.@ ....

Gwellin
05-29-2009, 03:12 PM
kk but small question if you become a mod does that mean not eligible to win prizes @.@ ....
Ah, good question. Chat OPs can, Staff cannot.

We'll have to think on that, but as of right now I thinking Moderators will not be able to.

kmmgreen5
05-29-2009, 03:16 PM
will mods and staff use the same private section or will there be chat op, mod , and staff sections

Gwellin
05-29-2009, 03:17 PM
will mods and staff use the same private section or will there be chat op, mod , and staff sections
Mods got a new one, and the old one is only visible to staff.

DrewStern
05-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Does the Staff have Special Meetings?

Will there be even more changes soon?

Besides the color, will staff be more notable than other mods?

This will really help organize the FF marathon.

fettouhi
05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
1: we are not a cult but we do have meetings like every other normal staff

2: no comment

3: there will be no changes to how the staff will interact with the members and our viewers.

4: not only FF but all our marathons

DrewStern
05-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks Fettouhi!

More Questions:

Are More Positions Coming?
How will the new forum software effect us?
Could You Please Give us the Colors of each position??

the1stpkmnfan
05-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Oh, some new add-ins, I see? Well, this will be interesting alright. And I look forward to seeing everything then. :D

Gwellin
05-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks Fettouhi!

More Questions:

Are More Positions Coming?
How will the new forum software effect us?
Could You Please Give us the Colors of each position??
We do not plan on any more new positions yet.

The forum software will change some things, but we don't know to what extent. In general the layout and groups will be the same.

Take a look at the bottom of the Board Index page. There all of the groups are listed, in colour.

fettouhi
05-29-2009, 03:30 PM
1: no
2: no comment
3: you can pretty much see them. colors are blue for ops, green for mods, yellow for artist, staff are orange and red for admins

Brineboy
05-29-2009, 03:30 PM
1: we are not a cult but we do have meetings like every other normal staff

They do have meetings I accedently popped into one once when I clicked on the wrong link. 8-)
Then I left quickly and went to the place I ment to click on. :oops:

the1stpkmnfan
05-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Oh, that must've been a little embarrasing, huh? I'd react the same way.

Mega_Mario
05-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Take a look at the bottom of the Board Index page. There all of the groups are listed, in colour.

Actually, Staff isn't down there. I don't think it is a group yet though.

Oh and about the cult comment, Fettouhi, :lol: .

fettouhi
05-29-2009, 03:35 PM
probably a cash thing try clearing it and your cookies and it should work.

anyways if you have questions you can PM, email or post in this section

the1stpkmnfan
05-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Ill go try that, but Im sure it's not the Cookies.

And yeah, Mods group is seen empty for all I know.

kmmgreen5
05-29-2009, 03:38 PM
so on the index and other topics etc. i see moderator: moderator
does this mean modes would be divided to different sections, or does it mean "mods name" is in that section

fettouhi
05-29-2009, 03:39 PM
things are not done yet we are still in a transition so the list will be there soon

Moderator: Moderators

is a sign to who can edit this section you don't see it an all topic becuse some of them have sub sections and if you go look at them they have it too.

TwilightWarrior
05-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Hm...this all sounds a tad bit confusing. But I like this new change.

whitemage730
05-29-2009, 03:59 PM
So when will new OP's/Mods/Staff be made?

fettouhi
05-29-2009, 04:06 PM
So when will new OP's/Mods/Staff be made?

it should be up all ready

Tachyon
05-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Its not up for me

Edit: Its up!

the1stpkmnfan
05-29-2009, 04:09 PM
I checked, and It looks like Staff cant be seen yet. So me neither.

Though, I do see two of our newest Mods. So Im happy for them. :)

fettouhi
05-29-2009, 04:10 PM
just wait abit we are working on it

the1stpkmnfan
05-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about that, so I dont know why I didnt mention that earlier. :P Im sure it'll be up soon, so obviously nothing to worry about.

edit: I see it now! :D

Mega_Mario
05-29-2009, 04:13 PM
I see it. You need to get rid of the cookies, like Fettouhi said.

Oh, and congrats Bear, Jagger, and Haruka!

the1stpkmnfan
05-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Which I guess must've worked.

And is it a bit too early to say horray for our current newest Mods and Op? :P

localretard
05-29-2009, 04:16 PM
I see it. You need to get rid of the cookies, like Fettouhi said.

Actually it was a problem with a setting I had, It was a simple fix, sorry for that.

We are still working on this, nothing is permanent yet so just be patient...we will let you know when everything is set.

As for the new forum software which you guys were asking about, I'm currently waiting on Gwellin to get some free time off of work, so we can work on it.

StopDropAndBear
05-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Now with delicious lime flavouring!
I'll hold off on the acceptance speech until everything is set in stone, though. xD

Haruka
05-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Ha ha, congratulations Bear, your color looks so adorable now. And everyone else who got risen up lately. Thought, I'll just edit this post for further possible congratulations. :)

TwilightWarrior
05-29-2009, 04:21 PM
I see it now. It looks cool. I wonder what other colors may be used...Also, yay! SDB's finally a mod! :D

the1stpkmnfan
05-29-2009, 04:22 PM
And you will Haruka, but like SDB, Im gonna wait till EVERYTHING is set up. So we got more suprises to see later I guess. :)

KatTheBard
05-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Congratulations, new OPs and mods! ^_^

Sonic62
05-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Apparently I'm staff and yet still so very confused. _dead_

Exclamation Point
05-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Now all the forum needs is purple and/or pink. :3

Congratulations various promoted peoples~

Essentia
05-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Now all the forum needs is purple and/or pink. :3
I can get behind that. :D

And congratulations to the people with new power! Be sure to use it wisely. ;)

Qmiser
05-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Ah!!! So many changes! I don't what's real anymore, I can't take it!!! *head explodes!*

Seriously though, I think it's just going to take a while to get used to this change. Also I think it'd be nice if you would put "staff" between Administrator and Moderator on the bottom of the index to reinforce the hierarchy. As well as just overall moving them around.

localretard
05-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Seriously though, I think it's just going to take a while to get used to this change. Also I think it'd be nice if you would put "staff" between Administrator and Moderator on the bottom of the index to reinforce the hierarchy. As well as just overall moving them around.

We noticed this, and will get around to it soon. We just want people to get the framework set first. So far everything has been smooth. This system isn't very complex...just different.

Qmiser
05-29-2009, 05:29 PM

We noticed this, and will get around to it soon. We just want people to get the framework set first. So far everything has been smooth. This system isn't very complex...just different.
Well, if this is just the framework then I would like to suggest that you try to make it more concise. Honestly when I look at the bottom of the index, my mind explodes with all of the colors and I feel that it's hurting more than it's helping at the moment.

But like I said, may just need some getting used to, but I would like to see things a little less hectic while still giving the same information.

Essentia
05-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Ah!!! So many changes! I don't what's real anymore, I can't take it!!! *head explodes!*
Suddenly I don't feel so bad about being new around here. Since I'm not "used to" anything on this site, the changes aren't really affecting me in any way. ;)

the1stpkmnfan
05-29-2009, 05:36 PM
It really makes the forums look more colorful. Which we need. :D

Sonic62
05-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Hmm, now what positions can be made so we can use Indigo and Violet? :lol:

Mega_Mario
05-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Hmm, now what positions can be made so we can use Indigo and Violet? :lol:
Let me think... Half-OPs?
Anyways... the changes seem to be working well now.
They looks pretty cool. And they give a lot of work to do with something...

5t0k35
05-29-2009, 05:43 PM
I honestly believe we don't need all of these new positions, but what do I know?

StopDropAndBear
05-29-2009, 05:43 PM

Well, if this is just the framework then I would like to suggest that you try to make it more concise. Honestly when I look at the bottom of the index, my mind explodes with all of the colors and I feel that it's hurting more than it's helping at the moment.

But like I said, may just need some getting used to, but I would like to see things a little less hectic while still giving the same information.

It helps if you think of it as more of a relabelling than a total overhaul.
Most of the existing mods were just moved into a new category that better represents their ties to TSG and its inner workings..they really are so much more than just forum police, and the new title helps reflect that.

Sonic62
05-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Most of the existing mods were just moved into a new category that better represents their ties to TSG and its inner workings..they really are so much more than just forum police, and the new title helps reflect that.
Ah, well put. I can say that now, everything makes sense to me now. ;)

localretard
05-29-2009, 05:45 PM
If there is anymore confusion I think this will help clear things up:

Administrators - See and can do all.

Staff - Only people who help plan the marathons, they can not moderate.

Moderators - This is limited to people who we want to have moderation powers.

Chat OPs - Will be OPed in chats.

Members can be part of multiple groups, and with those groups they gain those permissions.

For instance, StopDropandBear is now part of 2 groups, the Chat OPs group and the Moderators group. She can now moderate the forums, as well as be OPed in chats. Whereas before she would only be OPed in chats.

Certain members of "Staff" do not need moderation powers as some of them are very inactive on the forums, however we do want them to be recognized as being notable members of The Speed Gamers.

The heirarchy is certainly still there but it allows us greater organization and customization in the long run. I can certainly see a time when we would need only Forum moderators, and only Chat OPs. In fact I believe that in the future both positions could grow to be big enough that a person couldn't do both.

Qmiser
05-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Ah, well put. I can say that now, everything makes sense to me now. ;)
Yea, that's how I think of it, but I guess it's just overwhelming right now.

StopDropAndBear
05-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Heh, yeah, I see where you're coming from, it's a bit of a shake-up for everyone, but I'm sure it'll all be second nature before you know it. (:
The TSG Fan (Speedgamerus Fanicus), as a species, is a very resilient creature. It can adapt and adjust to any environment with minimal effort (however, a certain subset of the genus has a distinct aversion to sparkles and pink, and will wither under these circumstances).

localretard
05-29-2009, 06:03 PM
http://www.postimage.org/gx1pQ8AS.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1pQ8AS)

StopDropAndBear
05-29-2009, 06:07 PM
_awesome_
I <3 u, Local.
And for what it's worth, I loved the Hello Kitty layout.

Mezix
05-29-2009, 06:09 PM
_awesome_
I <3 u, Local.
Same here, maybe put it back up again for a little while? 8-)

Aeronautical
05-31-2009, 08:15 PM
_awesome_
I <3 u, Local.
I still can't figure out how to get it back. Every second that it's not there my heart breaks a little more >>

whitemage730
05-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Er... the Hello Kitty layout kinda hurt my eyes :?
:lol: But it was fun, for a one time thing. Or even a once a year thing.

Sonic62
05-31-2009, 11:46 PM
Happen to have any pics of that theme? I was streaming that day and completely missed Hello Kitty.

the1stpkmnfan
05-31-2009, 11:48 PM
If this were to happen again, Ill need to report to the BFB (Better Forums Buerau). And also head for the Glasses department.

XD < See? I'm blind!

zach2m1
05-31-2009, 11:49 PM
I missed the Hello Kitty Layout. I was devastated when I heard I missed it.... :cry: Im still devastated if I could only see what it looked like..... :(

TwilightWarrior
05-31-2009, 11:53 PM
I missed the Hello Kitty Layout. I was devastated when I heard I missed it.... :cry: Im still devastated if I could only see what it looked like..... :(
You should feel lucky you missed it. My eyes still burn from that layout...ugh...MY EYES!!! I CAN STILL SEE IT! :shock:

the1stpkmnfan
05-31-2009, 11:59 PM
I cant even read what I was trying to read. Zach, if you want to see the layout, Im sure we got screenshots made.

zach2m1
06-01-2009, 12:01 AM
I cant even read what I was trying to read. Zach, if you want to see the layout, Im sure we got screenshots made.
Oooo I would like to see some of those. But man what an unlucky day for me. The only day I dont go on the forums and we get a new theme. :P

JaggerG
06-01-2009, 12:02 AM
I hope it's selectable in the next forum style. You guys changing to SMF or something? All the cool kids are doing it.

the1stpkmnfan
06-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Here you go Zach. But they're deep into the thread. This is all I can do. :P

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2044 (http://forums.thespeedgamers.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2044)

Sonic62
06-01-2009, 12:07 AM
You should feel lucky you missed it. My eyes still burn from that layout...ugh...MY EYES!!! I CAN STILL SEE IT! :shock:
I figured I lucked out then. :P

zach2m1
06-01-2009, 12:08 AM
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2044 (http://forums.thespeedgamers.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2044)

Zoh my gosh.... that is totally amazing! I don't know what you are talking about! _awesome_ Man I wish I didn't miss that, I wonder whats going to be next years April fools _awesome_

the1stpkmnfan
06-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Hello Kitty with Rust PS'd, and there's flowers and hearts?

Blaumagier
06-01-2009, 06:03 AM
I know Rust absolutely loved that Hello Kitty theme.

Anyways, I think the change is good. It's true some of the guys aren't active on the forums. Even I have seen it (er... haven't seen it?) and I'm not that observant about those things.

Does this mean there will be a Medal made for Moderators since there is one for Chat Ops and you no longer have to be a Chat Op to be a Moderator? Although that idea does sound kind of redundant to me since their name is already a different color, but the same could be said about the Chat Op medals.

Mezix
06-01-2009, 06:06 AM

Zoh my gosh.... that is totally amazing! I don't know what you are talking about! _awesome_ Man I wish I didn't miss that, I wonder whats going to be next years April fools _awesome_
At least someone liked it. I was grinning nonstop the whole time the theme was up.