PDA

View Full Version : Game Review of Shadow the Hedgehog

SonicSpeed
06-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Shadow the Hedgehog for Gamecube is a good fun action game with a variety of guns and stories based on if you choose good(hero), bad(dark), and regular(normal) missions on each level. With the wide amount of characters in the story and in 2-player battles, I rate this on the scale of 1-5.

My rating, 4 out of 5.

NSB
06-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Not much in the form of a review. If you want to write a review talk about things like story, gameplay, graphics, music, replayability, and at the very least have played the game because Shadow the Hedgehog was horrible.

Here is how reviews should be done: (A review from my site written by another staff member)
[spoiler:1fyt8ntp]Sega GT could have been something truly great, but this racing game is mediocre at best. The game is an intended Gran Turismo clone, featuring real-life cars and following the same "race with the cheap cars first and work your way up" formula. It even has annoying license tests. Unlike Gran Turismo however, Sega GT has major issues in many critical areas. To start, the game's biggest flaw is the way the cars handle. They tend to over steer and spin out of control, and massively under steer when the brakes are applied. While it's still possible to control the cars, it takes a large amount of fun out of driving when most of your focus is resting on keeping the car on the road.

Another major problem is the lack of thought put into various items in the game, most notably the course names, such as "Solid Circuit" and "Night Section A." It's like the developers didn't even try to be original. If I'm going to play a simulation of a racing career, I don't want to drive on a track that sounds like something a group of homebrew wannabe's would come up with. Another major headache is the repetitive music. Unlike Gran Turismo 2 on the Playstation, Sega's flagship racer doesn't have licensed music and instead uses generic techno music on a one-song-per-stage basis. Even the few good songs become tiring after only a few listens. For a simulator, the game doesn't take realism very seriously. I entered a race with nothing but clones of my car, right down to the same paint job, and the other cars on the track accelerated off the starting line much faster than my car did.

Another major issue is the steep curve of the game's difficulty. After buying your first car, it's near impossible to advance in the game because of the unrealistic handling of the computer controlled cars. Since it's unreasonably difficult to place in these races, the player is unable to earn money to upgrade their car, so progress is brought to an immediate haut. This is sad, because after I used an exploit to earn extra money I experimented with the game and found a few shining spots in all the rust. One of these is the carrozzeria, a tool to create your own sports cars, although somewhat limited, it was pretty fun to drive a car that I designed, painted and named. With the faster cars found later in the game, races tended to be more competitive, however the control issues I mentioned above grow as the car gets faster.

After all the bad, there is one good detail I'd like to make clear, and that is Sega GT's graphics are great for its age. The stages are nice and colorful, well detailed complete with billboards lining the roadways. The cars themselves aren't bad either, only slightly better than Gran Turismo 2 when played with Bleem. I think this is the only reason why many online critics praised the game back in the day, while making little note of its flaws. While the game is pretty to look at, it certainly isn't to play, making it a huge disappointment. If you're a Gran Turismo fan looking for realistic, fun racing action on the Dreamcast, keep looking.

4/10[/spoiler:1fyt8ntp]

Oculin
06-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Shadow the Hedgehog was horrible.

D: This forum has a huge sonic fan base. Choose your words wisely lol I know from exprience~.

Sonic62
06-22-2009, 10:40 PM
You're right, the review is too short. However, what makes you think he didn't play the game because he liked it? That doesn't make any sense.

NSB
06-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Shadow the Hedgehog was horrible.

D: This forum has a huge sonic fan base. Choose your words wisely lol I know from exprience~.

I'm a life long Sonic fan myself, but I have no trouble saying Shadow the Hedgehog was was a terrible game. I'm sorry, but that's my opinion and I'll stick with it to the end.

You're right, the review is too short. However, what makes you think he didn't play the game because he liked it? That doesn't make any sense.

That may have come across wrong. I meant it as me wondering how anyone who has played that abomination could have enjoyed it. I respect that he found playing it to be an enjoyable experience, but I myself can't see how.

Sonic62
06-22-2009, 10:53 PM
That's a good way to look at it, I myself enjoyed the game a lot. That's all that matters.

the1stpkmnfan
06-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Im still enjoying this game. But doing the stories over and over again takes up some time, just to face the final boss. :P

Sonic62
06-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Good luck getting all the stories, I tried but lost interest after a while. There is 326 after all. :shock:

BlueBlazer
06-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Not much in the form of a review. If you want to write a review talk about things like story, gameplay, graphics, music, replayability, and at the very least have played the game because Shadow the Hedgehog was horrible.

Here is how reviews should be done: (A review from my site written by another staff member)
[spoiler:2rmb8b16]Sega GT could have been something truly great, but this racing game is mediocre at best. The game is an intended Gran Turismo clone, featuring real-life cars and following the same "race with the cheap cars first and work your way up" formula. It even has annoying license tests. Unlike Gran Turismo however, Sega GT has major issues in many critical areas. To start, the game's biggest flaw is the way the cars handle. They tend to over steer and spin out of control, and massively under steer when the brakes are applied. While it's still possible to control the cars, it takes a large amount of fun out of driving when most of your focus is resting on keeping the car on the road.

Another major problem is the lack of thought put into various items in the game, most notably the course names, such as "Solid Circuit" and "Night Section A." It's like the developers didn't even try to be original. If I'm going to play a simulation of a racing career, I don't want to drive on a track that sounds like something a group of homebrew wannabe's would come up with. Another major headache is the repetitive music. Unlike Gran Turismo 2 on the Playstation, Sega's flagship racer doesn't have licensed music and instead uses generic techno music on a one-song-per-stage basis. Even the few good songs become tiring after only a few listens. For a simulator, the game doesn't take realism very seriously. I entered a race with nothing but clones of my car, right down to the same paint job, and the other cars on the track accelerated off the starting line much faster than my car did.

Another major issue is the steep curve of the game's difficulty. After buying your first car, it's near impossible to advance in the game because of the unrealistic handling of the computer controlled cars. Since it's unreasonably difficult to place in these races, the player is unable to earn money to upgrade their car, so progress is brought to an immediate haut. This is sad, because after I used an exploit to earn extra money I experimented with the game and found a few shining spots in all the rust. One of these is the carrozzeria, a tool to create your own sports cars, although somewhat limited, it was pretty fun to drive a car that I designed, painted and named. With the faster cars found later in the game, races tended to be more competitive, however the control issues I mentioned above grow as the car gets faster.

After all the bad, there is one good detail I'd like to make clear, and that is Sega GT's graphics are great for its age. The stages are nice and colorful, well detailed complete with billboards lining the roadways. The cars themselves aren't bad either, only slightly better than Gran Turismo 2 when played with Bleem. I think this is the only reason why many online critics praised the game back in the day, while making little note of its flaws. While the game is pretty to look at, it certainly isn't to play, making it a huge disappointment. If you're a Gran Turismo fan looking for realistic, fun racing action on the Dreamcast, keep looking.

4/10[/spoiler:2rmb8b16]
What is your site called?

I actually enjoyed the game. It was an average action platformer. I even got the good ending. :P

BlackExcalibur
06-23-2009, 09:33 AM
This is the only other 3d Sonic game I've played other than Adventure and I think it's just ok. I thought the story was kinda mediocre and that the guns and vehicles weren't really needed (I never used them). However I did like the good/evil branching path thing and the level design was pretty decent.

Look on the bright side, at least this game isn't Sonic 2k6.

SonikkuMan
06-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Lol BlackExcalibur. So true. I didn't actually hate it, but forced repeating annoys me (I like replay value, but repeating it 12 times forced is ridiculous). I'm amazed how easy Expert mode was with the chicken gun (you know what I mean). I actually like the guns since its a good stress reliever (especially with infinite ammo).

diddyknux
07-02-2009, 12:34 AM
As with most 3D Sonic games, this game has a pretty bad rep, and as with most, I don't see why. I found it to be an enjoyable game with gamplay that, contrary to what most say, works fine and is fun. Just the same as any game, this isn't everyone's cup of tea. But that doesn't make it bad.