06-28-2009, 12:30 AM
The Rules of PWT: Trials

Contents:

I: Positions
II: The Eight Commandments of Court RP
III: Additional Information Regarding the Calling of Witnesses

~~~~

I: Positions:

Defense Attorney: Use the evidence at hand to prove that the Defendant is innocent. Only s/he can give the opening and closing statements. (Note: This right CAN be ceded to the Assistant, if desired) This role must always be filled.

Defense Assistant: Has the same rights as the main Defense Attorney, however, only the Main Defense attorney can give opening and closing statements. This role is optional, however, it is suggested that it be filled.

Defendant: The person charged with the crime. This role may be assigned to a member OR played by the TC, however, I advise the latter.

Prosecuting Attorney: Use the evidence at hand to prove that the Defendant is guilty. Only s/he can give the opening and closing statements. (Note: This right can be ceded to the Assistant, if desired) This role must be filled.

Prosecution's Assistant: Has the same rights as the main Prosecuting Attorney, however, only the Main Prosecuting attorney can give opening and closing statements. This role is optional, however, it is suggested that it be filled.

Judge: Ensure that the trial runs smoothly, and decide the outcome of the verdict based on the evidence. This role may be assigned to a member OR played by the TC, however, unless the trial follows a strict storyline, I would advise the former, to eliminate bias.

Witnesses: Testify about the crime. Usually, there are two types of witnesses: Witnesses for the Prosecution, who testify against the defendant, and Witnesses for the Defense, who testify in favor of the defense. These roles may be assigned to players OR played by the TC, however, I recommend the latter.

Lead Investigator: Present the Autopsy report, important evidence, and testify about the crime. This role may be assigned to a player OR the TC, however, I recommend the latter.

~~~~

II: The 8 Commandments of Court RP:

1) Both the Defense and the Prosecution can call and cross-examine witnesses. The cross-examination will occur at the same time, to speed things up. See the additional rules for more on CALLING witnesses.

2) EVERY witness willing to testify must be heard from.

3) The verdict MUST be based on sufficient evidence.

4) The judge can revoke his verdict no more than 3 times.

5) Either side may resign, if they desire, however, both the Main Attorney and their assistant must agree to this. If the assistant wants to continue, they will not be stopped.

6) No outbursts in the courtroom. If it gets way too serious, you will be held in "contempt of court". If the main Prosecuting or Defense attorney is caught doing this, they will be removed from the case, and their assistant will take over. If the assistant is removed, then that side will immediately resign the case.

7) The TC will play witnesses, unless stated otherwise in the sign-up topic.

8) If a TC helps either side, the trial will be closed immediately.

~~~~

III: Additional Information Regarding the Calling of Witnesses:

In regards to witnesses, there is often confusion regarding who the witness is to testify for. To clear things up, ALL trials will be required to note which witnesses will testify for which attorney.

We will note this by placing either a (D) or a (P) to note whether they testify for the Defense or Prosecution, respectively. Here is an example:

Witnesses:

John Everyman (P): Saw the murder take place.
Billy Bob Joe (D): Claims to have seen someone else fleeing from the scene.

Furthermore, when calling witnesses, the TC (Trial Creator) can choose one of two paths:

1) Have a set order: In this case, the TC will choose a set order for the witnesses to be called. The Prosecuting Attorney and Defense Attorney will still call their own witnesses, however, they will call them in the order given to them by the TC. This allows the trial to follow a set storyline, however, it may appear to be biased towards one side.

2) Allow the attorneys to choose: If the TC allows this, then the Prosecuting Attorney will call ALL of his witnesses first, and then the Defense Attorney will all ALL of his witnesses. This allows a more realistic trial, and promotes the fact that either side has an equal opportunity to win, due to the lack of a set path in the trial.