PDA

View Full Version : [Game] Infamous

CodeZTM
06-29-2009, 01:22 AM
As you've probably noticed if you've seen my anywhere on the forum, I've been eagerly awaiting the latest adventure into my PS3. Yes.. Infamous. I have long awaited to get my hands on this game and enjoy the electro-frying [yes... A pun..] nature of the protagonist. Well, after playing through the game... Well, just read on.

The story... Well, it's less than lackluster and stuck in the paranoid "government conspiracy" realm. You play "regular joe" number six million who just happened to be delivering a "package" that blows up an entire city. AS can be expected, a riot breaks loose, and the city becomes quarantined to help keep the violence contained. Cole, said regular joe, is now tasked with one of two paths.. Path A is to save the city using holy magical lighting capable of healing and doing nice guy stuff. Path B is to make the city your slave using dark and evil lightning powers. No... No middle ground. Either horrendous evil or virtuous good. Also, I do believe it's worth a small mention, but the script... Is horrible.... -___- The dialog has been done and done before [Halo, Gears of War, Resident Evil IV, ect]. The one liners need to be shot in the head and left in a ditch. >_>

Thus brings into the realm of my first horrible critique. The "karma" gauge. Ughh... It's just horrid. Usually each mission has two choices. A good choice and an evil choice. No middle ground. So... You either have the choice, of saving kittens or burning down a preschool. The fact is that we don't really have any sort of choice. Well, that's not entirely true. We have the choice of playing the game a second time to see the other side's ending. But that's not quite appealing and you'll see why shortly.

But before I really bring on the hate, video quality and graphics were quite obviously high and beautiful, as can be expected from a PS3 title. The electric-based attacks were especially beautiful. Zapping enemies, charging yourself up.. It's all visually stunning and quite beautiful. Also, I will be happy to say that the "comic book" art styles for the intermissions between gameplay and cutscenes were quite awesome looking and more games could surely love this addition to their art styles.

Now that it's out of my system, let's talk control scheme. Two words. Scitzo mess. There are so many ranging abilities assigned to a wide variety of buttons. L1 targets while you move the cursor and attack with R1. Special attacks? A different combination of buttons. The fact of the matter is that unless you have a really good memory, you'll be spamming one attack repeatedly or pressing random buttons everywhere. What's worse is that the moving of the camera [left analog stick] and moving the aiming cursor [right analog stick] usually interferes with one and other.

Which brings me to my next point... [Please excuse the following "french"]. WHERE THE BLOODY HELL IS AUTOTARGETING? I'm all for having both autotargeting and non autotargeting for those more professional and acquainted with these types of games. But for novice gamers and those not used to these types of games [the latter which would be me], it's annoying. Very.. Very annoying. Perhaps I'm spoiled by RPG's such as Kingdom Hearts and their trageting systems, but this system is just a bit too broken.

Infamous was the world's biggest dissapointment for me this year thus far. I had such high expectations and it blew up in my face violently. BUT. This isn't my typical realm of gaming. I'm much more used to RPG games, so this is just my personal tastes clashing with things that I don't like to play game-wise. I just can't recommend it. Not now, not ever.

06-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I basically skipped over the graphics, it Doesn't add to the story line... Auto targetting is not required let's take halo for an example of that, and I was never really fond of metroid prime due to the autotargetting anyways... However, the Karma meter thing that you just described sounds like there can be at least 2 or more ending to it which adds to the game's uniqueness, in other words more bang for your buck... The controls are definitely something to complain about, but is there a way how to change them so that it fits your style a little bit better I mean most games have that luxury. Also out of a ?/10 what would you rate it?

CodeZTM
06-29-2009, 09:22 PM
I really don't [by principle] give out number rated reviews. Bu t if pressed, I'd probably give it seven out of ten. It wasn't a horrible game, I've just played so many like it that it was kind of dissapointing.

Oculin
06-29-2009, 11:38 PM
I really don't [by principle] give out number rated reviews. Bu t if pressed, I'd probably give it seven out of ten. It wasn't a horrible game, I've just played so many like it that it was kind of dissapointing.
Yeah i don't believe in numbers out of 10 too but i realized no body likes giving them, but pepole like just looking at the numbers.

I think some games need Auto-targeting, mainly just games that you're moving around alot. If theres a cover system it doesnt really matter to me. Some times the auto aiming throws me off. Otherwise i haven't played it so i cant really give an opinion.

Sub-Laguz
07-03-2009, 03:47 AM
What game were you playing before you started playing Infamous? And how did it completely overshadow the greatness that is this game. Even though most of the things you said here made sense, I still can't see how you could be this disappointed by it. Sure the one-liners were cheesy, and the story wasn't the most original we've seen, and of course I had absolutely no expectations for this while you had been anticipating for months, but to only compliment the graphics and art-style...
I hadn't been blown away by any game since... I can't even name one. I loved the control scheme, loved the Karma gauge, loved every little bit of this game.

And sorry to disagree with you like this but, I just think it deserves at least some praise. And unlike you, I CAN recommend it.

scorpius41
07-03-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm gonna have to side with Sub-Laguz on this one, I thought Infamous was great overall had a blast playing it.

Oculin
07-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Could have just been over hyping it. That happens alot with big games, Best thing to do is be excited and ready to purcahse but not freak out over a game, ive learned from that mistake.

CodeZTM
07-06-2009, 12:19 AM
I'd like to make a slight retraction.

After playing the game longer, I found it to be more enjoyable. The controls become accustomed to, powers become awesome and the story actually started to be more than cliche garbage. =D

I think I can recommend it now.