PDA

View Full Version : [Movie] Public Enemies

Rare Addict
07-11-2009, 01:32 AM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/RareAddict/PublicEnemiesPoster.jpg

Plot Synopsis:

”In the action-thriller Public Enemies, acclaimed filmmaker Michael Mann directs Johnny Depp, Christian Bale and Academy Award® winner Marion Cotillard in the incredible and true story of legendary Depression-era bank robber John Dillinger (Depp) the charismatic bank robber whose lightning raids made him the number one target of J. Edgar Hoovers fledgling FBI and its top agent, Melvin Purvis (Bale), and a folk hero to much of the downtrodden public.”

Firstly, the performances in Public Enemies are terrific all across the board. Johnny Depp (who, even despite being one of my all-time favorite actors, I was initially a bit skeptical about), especially, is perfect as John Dillinger. Literally, from minute one, you buy into his character. Obviously, we’re still far from “Oscar Season”, but I’d honestly be a bit surprised if Depp didn’t – at least – get nominated for his performance in this film. Now, Christian Bale, much like in Terminator Salvation, isn’t given as much to work with in terms of his character. Unlike his performance in McG’s latest film, however (and contrary to what most people have said), Bale does an extremely solid job here, doing the best with what he’s got.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/RareAddict/PEPIc1.jpg

The action sequences, too, are surprisingly well done. Everything is pushed just to the edge of reality, while not becoming too frenetic or too unbelievable for a film like this. However, perhaps the greatest strength of Public Enemies is how it manages to capture the feel of the 1930’s. Everything, from the settings and costume design, right down the dialogue, comes together to really bring you back to that time.

Now, on the negative side of things, I never once bought into the relationship between John Dillinger and Billie Frechette. Dillinger just looks at her once, and instantly falls in love with her. On top of that, I didn’t feel that there was any chemistry between the two of them. With love being such a huge motivating factor in what Dillinger does, it makes their lack of “spark” a real problem for me. This lack of character development carries through the rest of the film, though. Every character (excluding Depp’s) feels extremely one-dimensional, despite the solid performances of the actors portraying them.

The story doesn’t flow very well either, making the movie feel more like a series of clips (as enjoyable as they may be to watch) randomly strung together. While I still really enjoyed Public Enemies, it’s these shortcomings that kept it from being a truly great film for me.

7.5/10

swiftyislol
07-11-2009, 01:55 AM
i loved the movie.

Monk
07-24-2009, 08:44 AM
I thought this was a pretty good movie. I loved Christian Bale in it.

BlackExcalibur
07-24-2009, 09:17 AM
This was a pretty good movie but it was just missing something.

SelecaoIX
07-24-2009, 11:27 PM
I loved it. 8/10.

SilverShadows
07-24-2009, 11:42 PM
I enjoyed it quite a lot, but then again, I'm of fan of any movie dealing with organized crime....or basically anything where people are donned in trilby hats and three piece suits, go figure. It's definitely one of my favorite movies, despite its flaws, which I noticed as well but brutally ignored.

At least an 8.5 to 9/10 for me.

Cpt_Falcon
07-25-2009, 04:46 AM
Great film. Nice review, I think 7.5 is fair, although I'd probably would have given it an 8. Christian Bale's accent was a bit noticeable at times and although his acting was great, the accent dropped the score a little for me because I kept noticing it during the film.
Still a great film though.
To anybody who liked this and hasn't saw Heat. I recommend watching it.