PDA

View Full Version : Laptop problem

Sonic62
07-13-2009, 01:01 AM
It's not working at all. If I try opening anything it'll be completely frozen and unusable.

Gwellin
07-13-2009, 03:09 AM
You could try a reformat, but it's possibly a hardware issue. Do you have any warranty?

Scruff
07-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Does your computer auto update? If it does, it sometimes makes registry save points, so when you turn on your computer, if you hold, I think F8, a menu will show up and you can restore your computer to an earlier save point in the registry, without harming your files. My computer wouldn't start up to the login screen a while ago, so I did this and it fixed the problems.

Sonic62
07-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Does your computer auto update? If it does, it sometimes makes registry save points, so when you turn on your computer, if you hold, I think F8, a menu will show up and you can restore your computer to an earlier save point in the registry, without harming your files. My computer wouldn't start up to the login screen a while ago, so I did this and it fixed the problems.
My mom is bringing it in to their tech guy tomorrow. But hey, I'll give it a shot!

caramelslice
07-13-2009, 10:52 PM
I got a text from my mom saying that they seem to be having that sort of problem with my sister's laptop: when she tries to use a program, it freezes and the screen changes color. I feel bad for my mom and sister back home because they've been relying on my sister's laptop for computer-related work. One of my aunts messed up our family computer. I forgot what the problem was, but I'll ask my mom and post about it to hopefully get some solutions from you guys :3

Kylethedarkn
07-13-2009, 11:40 PM
You could try a reformat, but it's possibly a hardware issue. Do you have any warranty?
Bad Gwellin! Jumping right to reformatting. Especially when it takes a good month to get everything you had back. :P

Sonic62
07-14-2009, 12:23 AM
The only way for me to check on my files is starting up with the command prompt and opening the task manager. I wouldn't know how to save my files from there, so I'll wait and see.

Kylethedarkn
07-14-2009, 12:55 AM
The only way for me to check on my files is starting up with the command prompt and opening the task manager. I wouldn't know how to save my files from there, so I'll wait and see.
Have you tried safe mode yet?

Sonic62
07-14-2009, 02:54 AM
I thought that was implied when I said "the only way". ;)

Kylethedarkn
07-14-2009, 12:17 PM
I thought that was implied when I said "the only way". ;)
Oh, you started up safe mode with command prompt, I thought you just opened command prompt normally. :P

Anyways, if it still freezes in safe mode its most likely a hardware thing. But you should still be able to access your files in safe mode the regular way.

Exclamation Point
07-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Bad Gwellin! Jumping right to reformatting. Especially when it takes a good month to get everything you had back. :P

A reformat from a replacement Windows XP disc I had lying around only took 30 minutes on our PC. I used our laptop to download the necessary drivers, the only drivers we had were for the laptop, used a thumb drive to drop them on the PC, and it only took about 5 minutes. Add in 10 to hook up the printer, and about 10 more for all the files I stored on GMail.

Reformats aren't as awfully terrible as people make them out to be. Unless you screw up, that is.

Sonic, have you seen any error messages anywhere? When starting the computer, attempting to use files, etc. It sounds like hardware, laptops aren't the sturdiness things around, but there's also the slight possibility of a virus.
Did you drop it at all, or has it overheated a lot before?

Kylethedarkn
07-14-2009, 01:54 PM

A reformat from a replacement Windows XP disc I had lying around only took 30 minutes on our PC. I used our laptop to download the necessary drivers, the only drivers we had were for the laptop, used a thumb drive to drop them on the PC, and it only took about 5 minutes. Add in 10 to hook up the printer, and about 10 more for all the files I stored on GMail.

Reformats aren't as awfully terrible as people make them out to be. Unless you screw up, that is.

Sonic, have you seen any error messages anywhere? When starting the computer, attempting to use files, etc. It sounds like hardware, laptops aren't the sturdiness things around, but there's also the slight possibility of a virus.
Did you drop it at all, or has it overheated a lot before?

I meant in terms of programs and such, I know I have about 500gigs of important stuff that I don't want to lose in a reformat, plus not all of us have an external drive to back things up. Not to mention a lot of programs must be re-installed to work correctly. Its not something to throw around like its a walk in the park.

It's like if your house was on fire and the first thing you said was, let it burn to the ground and build a new one rather then attempting to put out the fire.

Exclamation Point
07-14-2009, 02:16 PM
That metaphor is incredibly hazy, considering my own living conditions. What with insurance, having my home burn down would be the greatest thing to happen in my life as of yet.

I understand the situation changes from person to person, it all depends on what you have and what you wish to save. However, sometimes trying to save something that cannot be, without a ton of time and effort, it's just better to start over.

But this thread isn't about reformatting arguments, so I'll be stopping here.

Kylethedarkn
07-14-2009, 02:22 PM
That metaphor is incredibly hazy, considering my own living conditions. What with insurance, having my home burn down would be the greatest thing to happen in my life as of yet.

I understand the situation changes from person to person, it all depends on what you have and what you wish to save. However, sometimes trying to save something that cannot be, without a ton of time and effort, it's just better to start over.

But this thread isn't about reformatting arguments, so I'll be stopping here.
I know, it was a horrible metaphor, however I was merely saying an attempt should be made at least.

But yes true, now back on topic!

Gwellin
07-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Okay, I meant in the general sense, where a software issue could be fixed with a reformat. If it's hardware then nothing would change. Call me crazy, but I generally assume people keep backups of their most important stuff. Does no one have external hard drives?

Scruff
07-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Call me crazy, but I generally assume people keep backups of their most important stuff. Does no one have external hard drives?
Not unless you have a Mac and a Time Machine.

Gwellin
07-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Call me crazy, but I generally assume people keep backups of their most important stuff. Does no one have external hard drives?
True. Windows is often a pain to backup. Still, it is easy to get an external drive and just toss on your important stuff every once in a while.

*looks around hoping no one is watching and hug his Mac*

Exclamation Point
07-14-2009, 06:17 PM
I was under the impression that keeping a back-up was common sense. Even my computer illiterate relatives do.

boo, macs! >:O

Gwellin
07-14-2009, 07:40 PM
boo, macs! >:O

Boo hoo. :cry:

Sonic, backup however/whatever you can RIGHT NOW. Just be careful if your computer completely dies suddenly.

Kylethedarkn
07-14-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't really expect my anything to fail anytime soon, so no I don't have a back up. I have a separate partition on a HD where I keep all my important stuff, but that's it. I know very few people who keep backups. Like the one that knows somebody at Google and gets free stuff. DAMN YOU PHILLIP!!! Uh...not you universe hat Phil.

Plus backup devices are expensive.

Richord
07-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Sonic, backup however/whatever you can RIGHT NOW. Just be careful if your computer completely dies suddenly.
I'd have to agree with Gwellin here. It's an IF your computer dies, you'll still most to all of your files you'll beable to just re-load on when you get it fixed.

Sonic62
07-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Okay, now how would I do that? Using the only way to look at my stuff, it doesn't even recognize that there's an SD card inserted.

Kylethedarkn
07-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Okay, now how would I do that? Using the only way to look at my stuff, it doesn't even recognize that there's an SD card inserted.
I think there are disc boot file programs that will let you backup files and such to a usb drive or external hard drive and the such, but I'm not quite sure. Might be a good thing to google though.

Sonic62
07-15-2009, 02:53 AM
Well, I'll wait and see what the computer guy says. Thanks for the help thus far though. :)

Luigi110
07-19-2009, 03:12 AM
True. Windows is often a pain to backup. Still, it is easy to get an external drive and just toss on your important stuff every once in a while.

*looks around hoping no one is watching and hug his Mac*
I remember when explorer.exe felt like corrupting itself after a power surge and I was still able to access my files and everything. So what I did before I found a fix, I backed the most important files up to my 120GB iPod Classic. I do plan on getting an external though.

SteveThePirate
07-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Everyone should keep a backup, this way the best way to fix any software problem can be perform straight away without any stuffing around. I can barely keep a working windows partition for more then about three continuous months. I have a (almost full) 1TB drive for ALL files. On my other drive I have a windows install that is continuously reformatted that contains only windows and programs as well as two Linux partitions, one of my now (relatively) ancient Ubuntu install and one for messing around. With this setup I shouldn't lose anything until the terrabyte dies, and should always have at least 1 working OS. External drives are so cheap these days that there is little reason to not make back ups of important data.

Sonic62
07-23-2009, 04:46 AM
I'll definitely keep a backup in mind. I should be getting my laptop back soon. I believe the hard drive was replaced.

Sonic62
07-27-2009, 02:48 AM
Got it back last week. Very few things were saved onto the new hard drive. I've still got my old one, so I just need a way to get the info.

Scruff
07-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Doesn't re-installing Windows usually work?

As for getting files saved on another hard drive, a flash drive should work.