PDA

View Full Version : [Movie] Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Rare Addict
07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/RareAddict/HBPPoster2.jpg

Plot Synopsis:

” Adolescent wizard-in-training Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts for another year of schooling and learns more about the dark past of the boy who grew up to become Lord Voldemort in this, the sixth installment of the film series that originated from the writings of author J.K. Rowling. There was a time when Hogwarts was thought of as a safe haven, but thanks to Voldemort's tightening grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds, that simply isn't the case anymore. Suspecting that the castle may even harbor an outright threat, Harry finds his investigation into the matter sidelined by Dumbledore's attempts to prepare him for the monumental battle looming ever closer on the horizon.”

Having recently watched the first five films again, I have to say that I have slightly mixed feelings about the Harry Potter film series as a whole. The first three, while still solid films, are not nearly as “amazing” as I remember them being (though Prisoner of Azkaban comes pretty damn close). Goblet of Fire, however, is much better than I remember it being, and is considered to be one of my all-time favorite films. Part five, while not as brilliant as its predecessor, is definitely among the series’ best. So, despite being a huge fan of the last few books, I’ve never particularly loved any of the Potter films, with the exception of the fourth…and now the sixth.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/RareAddict/HBPPic2.jpg

Performance-wise, virtually everybody was terrific. The central trio, as always, captures the essence of their respective characters perfectly. Emma Watson has especially improved as Hermione, delivering what I think is the most moving performance of the three. As for Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, I wasn’t a huge fan of him in films three, four, and five. In Half-Blood Prince, though, I felt he really nailed the character, containing that sense of power, wisdom, and a hint of arrogance all at once. Alan Rickman, as expected, was brilliantly chilling as Snape, and Jim Broadbent gives what it easily one of my favorite performances in the series as Horace Slughorn.

One of the complaints that I’ve heard a bit was that the movie spent too much time on the romantic relationships, and not enough on the “main plot” centered on Harry and Dumbledore. Personally, I didn’t really find that. Sure, I would’ve liked to have seen one or two more of the “memories” that were shown to Harry in the book, but for the most part, I felt that every key portion of the novel was translated very effectively to the screen.

While the visual style is absolutely incredible, and the action sequences (of what few there are) are thrilling, this is very much a character-driven film, which is really what makes it the best in the series for me. The movie also has a nice balance in tone, from portions that are light-hearted and fun, to others that are dark and somber. It’s a tough mixture, but I felt that they pulled it off extraordinarily well.

Overall, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a terrific film that, while delivering impressive bits of action and visual wizardry (no pun intended), finds the characters again. With incredible performances all across the board, a solid balance in tone, and a surprising amount of faithfulness to the source material, David Yates and his crew have put together what is my personal favorite of the six Potter films. As far as I’m concerned, the rest of the series is in good hands.

9/10

the1stpkmnfan
07-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Great review here Rare! I just saw the movie tonight, and I loved it. To be honest, I haven't seen 3-5 yet. But after seeing this movie, I'm dying to see those movies after all. I've forgotten how much I liked Hermione and Ginny. :P I may have not read the book to this film, but I can tell from a fan of the series that the ending was quite something alright.

Ruju
07-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Good review Addict. I found my heart breaking in Tan's review from all the negitivity, but I think you've summed up why the movie was good. It is really character driven and beautifully filmed, but I hum over such things cause I used to be interesting in film editing. Seeing as my two favorite characters (Draco and Snape) were part of this character explosion, I was a happy camper.

Tanexion
07-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Aw I'm sorry Ruju. I didn't mean to write such a heartbreaking review lol. I know it may have sounded like I just hated it completely but I really didn't. I did like it, I was just disappointed is all. Maybe my expectations were too high..
Anyways, great review Rare. I really liked the GoF too. It ties with PoA as my favorite.

Ruju
07-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Aw I'm sorry Ruju. I didn't mean to write such a heartbreaking review lol. I know it may have sounded like I just hated it completely but I really didn't. I did like it, I was just disappointed is all. Maybe my expectations were too high..
Anyways, great review Rare. I really liked the GoF too. It ties with PoA as my favorite.

Aw Tanexion it wasn't you *huggles* I was actually quite fine with your review. It was all the post afterwards saying it was a horrible movie.

Alveia
07-22-2009, 10:59 AM
This is the first film in the series that I've found, if you haven't previously read the novel, you will have a difficult time understanding what's happening.