PDA

View Full Version : MegaMan Battle Network: Operate StarForce-Subtitled Trailer!

Masamune
07-23-2009, 09:51 AM
I was looking up news for the Megaman Battle Network series, when I spotted this tasty little anecdote. The following is from Kombo.com:

"2009's Electronic Entertainment Expo came and went a few weeks ago with no word at all from Capcom regarding what their next plans for the Mega Man franchise are. However, in Japan, that was not the case when the World Hobby Fair rolled into town.

Though details were scarce, Dark Messiah Blog and COCOROG report that the company did reveal that they were going to release "Rockman EXE: Operate Shooting Star" (in Japan, "Rockman.EXE" is what their version of MegaMan Battle Network is called, and "Ryusei no Rockman," or "Shooting Star Rockman," is what MegaMan Star Force is known as there), a crossover between their two main MegaMan RPG franchises that is expected to hit the Nintendo DS in Japan sometime later this year. Details are to be formally announced in the September issue of CoroCoro.

According to The Mega Man Network, however, it is expected that this year's boss character contest winner, Clock Genius, will appear there. Since the very premise seems as though there could be time travel involved, it would make sense. On the other hand, MegaMan.EXE has made the odd cameo in the other Star Force titles without it. Whatever the case, we're sure to find out more in September."

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm133/sephiroths-heartless/blurb_bnsf1_20090622.png

It looks promising. Personally, I'm excited. Anyone else?

It's been announced recently that Capcom have released a teaser website. I've been on the site myself, and it's hard to discern anything from it, as it is in Japanese. However, there is a message from series producer Takeshi Horinouchi:

"As we head towards Rockman's 25th anniversary, we are beginning to work on various projects, both big and small, thinking of what activities we'd like to work on. And though the Rockman EXE series ended three years ago, we're receiving a strong sentiment from everyone saying "We want EXE!" So, we the development team are thinking of this splendid title Rockman EXE: "Let's try doing something again…" …That is, I myself wanted to see Rockman EXE and Netto one more time. Therefore, our next title is such. This game's inspiration is actually a celebratory image drawn by the designer for Rockman's 20th anniversary. From that time, I'd secretly been thinking "In time we should try something neat with 'EXE' and 'Ryuusei'." Thus, our next project "Rockman EXE Operate Shooting Star" has come to be started. Essentially, this is a Rockman EXE 1 remake for the DS, porting it and adding something extra. You the fans may be wondering, what sort of theme comes with combining EXE and Ryuusei? This is something that EXE fans of course, and Ryuusei fans as well, will enjoy. Details will be published the middle of next month, so please wait a little longer. So everybody, until it goes on sale, please look forward to seeing Rockman's and Netto's friendship! From here on, please give us your support."

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm133/sephiroths-heartless/blurb_megamen_20090715.jpg

Spectulation among fans is that the main antagonist of the game will be the winner of the last Rockman Enemy Design contest, Clock Genius. The power of Clock Genius was time manipulation (Or something to that effect) and as it appears that Star Force will have a connection to the game, it is only fitting.

Masamune
08-20-2009, 04:04 AM
*UPDATE*

Well, there are screens! Follow this link ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo6bv4zVlaY ) and chack them out for yourselves! It is a clip of info from the Japanese magazine CoroCoro.

In all of the screenshots, it shows only Geo Stellar (The protagonist of MegaMan Star Force) being played, so it is unknown if Lan and MegaMan.EXE (The protagonists of the Battle Network series) will be playable. Speculation on the fact that this is a crossover/remake of the fist Battle Network game are very likely to be right, as it shows the graphical style and the CyberWorld layout of Battle Network 1. (The layout changes with each installment of Battle Network) The clip also shows a picture of a clock type NetNavi, almost proving the belief that ClockGenius (The winner of the design a MegaMan villain held in Japan earlier in the year) will be in the game, most likely renamed ClockMan.

Well, I'll keep you updated. :D

Brineboy
08-20-2009, 07:10 AM
looks cool though i only have the first starforce game(dragon)
on a side note not sure if you mentioned this but the first Bn game is getting remade for the ds

Masamune
08-20-2009, 07:24 AM
on a side note not sure if you mentioned this but the first Bn game is getting remade for the ds

Series creator Takeshi Horinouchi confirmed that this was a remake of the first game with added content. But, it's still unsure how the Star Force elements will come into play. Alot of people speculate that it is the work of the MegaMan villain Clock Genius, as it seems that Geo Stellar has been sent back two centuries.

So, this IS the remake.

lionheart91
08-20-2009, 03:35 PM
I love both series so I can't wait for this game. Hopefully they use the battle system from the BN series and not the SF series; I never was a fan of only being able to use the back row in battles.

Masamune
09-24-2009, 08:52 AM
:shock: HAPPINESS!

A trailer has been released. And it reveals numerous things.

Firstly is that the battle style is that of Battle Network. This is wonderful as many (Including myself) detest the back row only fighting/first-person battle style.
A lot of section from the original Battle Network appear to be in this. Many may brush this off as clips from the original, but not so: it shows the characters with different portraits. Well, this is to be expected, as it was rumoured to be a remake of the original for many months. My hope is that they include the original game in all it's entirety, while adding a side-mode for the Star Force side of the game. But don't worry: the Star Force sections are also played in the original Battle Network style.

Another interesting feature I noticed was that there were NetNavis running around ACDC Town (:?) and battleing each other. This seems like a nice little mini-game, many of which were absent from the original games. (Save in the guise of annoying required story mode ones.) Another hope is that this game will be Wi-Fi enables, instead of just local.

As I do not understand Japanese ( :cry: ) it is very likely that there are many more features in the game than what I have said here.

If you would like to check out the trailer, please do so here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJFiNBjDe1A). Now, to get a hold of Ferenc.... >.>

lionheart91
09-24-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm so happy they're getting back to the Battle Network battle system. The trailer looks pretty good, and the 6 player multiplayer looks interesting, it's just a little weird that it doesn't have wi-fi.

Masamune
09-24-2009, 12:44 PM
and the 6 player multiplayer looks interesting, it's just a little weird that it doesn't have wi-fi.

It doesn't!?!? :cry: :cry: :cry: My thoughts of pwning Britt and Ferenc evaporate... >.>

lionheart91
09-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah unfortunately. It said so in the info part of the trailer page, so it looks like it's only local.

Masamune
09-29-2009, 09:01 AM
he gameplay style of the Ryuusei no Rockman games, aka MegaMan Star Force, has not always proven to be the most popular among fans of the series' predecessor, Rockman.EXE, aka MegaMan Battle Network. Rather than fighting from the side across half of a 3x6 grid, Star Force would instead place the camera behind the player, who would only have the back three squares of a 3x5 grid to move across, dodging incoming enemy attacks and using special moves to invade the enemy grid and counterattack. And believe it or not, I actually prefer the Star Force style of battle and gameplay. Nonetheless, fans of Battle Network will apparently get their wish in the upcoming crossover, dubbed "Rockman.EXE: Operate Shooting Star" in Japan, as the series returns to its roots in more ways than one. As previously chronicled, Operate Shooting Star's story seems to be based around the premise of time travel, with the MegaMan of the far future traveling back in time to the era of Battle Network, possibly during the events of the first game of the series. Not only is the year dialed back, but so too are the graphics, as the game appears visually indistinct from the nuances that would separate the original from its sequels and successive series. And, as some have expected, the Star Force MegaMan will have to adapt his tactics to a different time as well. Geo and Omega-Xis' combined form will be played in the same fashion as the NetNavi MegaMan.EXE, and both will be playable during the story, though the specifics of how this will occur remain unexplained.

Via The Mega Man Network, CoroCoro reports that while SF MegaMan will take to the same field of battle from days of yore, he will still be able to utilize his own unique abilities, such as his shield and lock-on attack. Meanwhile, MegaMan.EXE will have his own unique abilities to exploit. But like MegaMan.EXE, it seems that SF MegaMan will be able to utilize the Battle Chip system, rather than the Battle Cards from his time. This includes the "Navi Chips," which allow MegaMan.EXE to summon fallen enemies to his aid, unleashing their powerful attacks on the enemy field. But for SF MegaMan, one such Navi Chip will be Omega-Xis, the alien who allows Geo to transform into his blue-hued heroic form. For now, it remains unknown if EXE can also use this chip. On the other hand, Program Advances, which are supercharged attacks activated by using certain Battle Chips in sequence, also make their return. While these attacks can be utilized by the MegaMan of the past, it remains to be seen whether or not the future champion can master them as well.

And of course, it wouldn't be Battle Network without the ability to have MegaMen battle. As you can see at the top of this article (with larger scans at TMMN), it appears that past and future will have the chance to collide to see who the greater franchisehero is.

Other notables from the CoroCoro scans show off a mini-map, something which will no doubt be useful in navigating the old network, as well as a PErsonal Terminal (PET) screen not unlike the one from MegaMan Battle Network 5: Double Team DS. However, it does not appear that it will feature 3D representations of the characters this time.

But what about the story? Well, due to the 2chan scans being cut off, there is little to tell, unfortunately. But from what The Mega Man Network can tell, Dr. Wily's evil World Three (WWW) organization of network terrorists is mentioned, so it is expected at this point that they will play a significant role-- particularly if the game does indeed take place during the events of the first MMBN. And of course, ClockMan will no doubt factor in... but will he be an ally, align himself with Wily, or act against everyone?

More information as it comes.

http://ds.kombo.com/images/content/news/blurb_oss_20090911.jpg

This quote comes from Kombo.com. I'm very pleased with this. I detested the Battle Style of the Star Force series,and am glad to see the original style making a reappearance. Thoughts?

Ferenc
09-29-2009, 09:11 AM
OMG YEESSS! This is how you do a game right. Starforce's battle system is terrible but BN rocks. I can't wait for this now, hopefully the next starforce games following this will also go back to the BN gameplay style. I wish there was wi-fi though.

Blaumagier
10-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Eh... BN's battle system was more about dodge and strike while SF's relied more on your cards and buster equipped and what they can do. I prefer SF's system more - it creates more strategic value, albeit at the sacrifice of some skill requirements - although Best Combos destroyed all strategic value it had. I suppose that's why Best Combos didn't return in MMSF3 and they weren't usable by default in WiFi in MMSF2 (although MMSF2's WiFi was destroyed by something else entirely...)

Masamune
10-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Ok, update:

A subtitled trailer has been released! It is essentially the TGS Trailer with english subtitles, not a new trailer. The trailer can be found here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x-HbyQ5ce8)

AweStriker
10-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Eh... BN's battle system was more about dodge and strike while SF's relied more on your cards and buster equipped and what they can do. I prefer SF's system more - it creates more strategic value, albeit at the sacrifice of some skill requirements - although Best Combos destroyed all strategic value it had. I suppose that's why Best Combos didn't return in MMSF3 and they weren't usable by default in WiFi in MMSF2 (although MMSF2's WiFi was destroyed by something else entirely...)

I tend to prefer BN's battle system because there's a lot more... flexibility. Sure, a lot of it is dodging, but you don't see anyone doing Star Force challenges.

EDIT: Challenge X works like this: Get people to send you crazy challenges in your games (BN is most common due to repeatable boss fights and sheer gameplay depth). Do the challenge and put it up on the internets. SF challenges are unheard of, because the Ability system is much less deep than the NaviCust (not to mention it depending upon Link Power), the Shield is default rather than equippable, the lack of chip codes make things too easy, the lack of back-front movement is less interesting, etc. The fact that it's a DS game doesn't help either.

And on that "something else":
Wave Commands. Game=broken.

Blaumagier
10-04-2009, 02:09 PM
The ability system in MMSF3 is pretty polished when you look at the big picture - considering which abilities your noise form gives you by default and which ones make your card folder amazing. As for the lack of chip codes, the game has something similar to that already, and has since MMSF1, wherein you can pick as many of the same card type in one turn if you want. However a lot was changed in MMSF3 that really added some strategic depth to it, such as the support card system and Mega and Giga cards being much larger, thus making them or other cards you may need unusuable and creating a need to think and plan rather than spam Mega and Giga cards.

Also, that "something else" I was referring to was not WCC. WCC by itself is ok. No, the "something else" I referred to was a very specific WCC that should not have ever been in the game: Auto Tribe King. It has the ability to knock the other forms back into regular Mega Man with it's charge shot and all cards deal double damage on top of getting the boost from the individual tribes. It has been simulated on MMSF3 WiFi unfortunately, through the use of 999.9% noise to begin the battle with. However, in MMSF3 every last one of them that use it is a dirty cheater since it's an AR code - the game's normal limitations make WiFi fun (except for lag).

Ferenc
10-05-2009, 12:44 PM
At first I was not exited for this but when I heard it was brining back the old fighting style I got really exited. Now I'm not excited any more, it's just too similar. When I heard there was a trailer I was like _awesome_ after the trailer I was like :| . I dunno why I feel this way, maybe battle network just should have ended or maybe it just needs something that improves the battle system without ruining it.

Blaumagier
10-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I have to agree Ferenc. It seems like they wanted to appeal to everyone that liked either BN, SF, or both and some how managed to disappoint all with their teasers.

Masamune
10-06-2009, 10:03 AM
I know how you feel Ferenc, it does seem pretty much the same. But I'm kinda glad it's the same. The Battle Network battle system was one of my all-time favourites, and I just love it so much... That's just me though...

AweStriker
10-08-2009, 10:38 PM
...huh. Maybe if they put in a NaviCust...

Masamune
10-09-2009, 08:38 AM
...huh. Maybe if they put in a NaviCust...

The NaviCust was in all games after 3, so I suspect that it will make a reappearance in Operate Star Force.