Game release: April 20, 2004
Game system release: Play station2
ESRB rating: M for mature: Violence, blood, intensely scary moments
consumer rating: 6.7/10 (7.1/10) Fair
Game genre: Survival Horror
Developer: Sony entertainment
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv3lr-m1wvE

My synopsis:
Siren, Forbidden Siren, is a very hard and intensely scary and confusing game. The game starts off with a young man named Kyoya witnessing an odd ritual taking place ina forest... Everyone is covered in a blood red veil chanting while a young girl is walking up an aisle, quickly she turns to look at Kyoya which interrupts the ritual causing an uproar and a derangged cop quickly comes to apprehend and even kill Kyoya. Immediatly you are thrown to the wolves with absolutely no guideing text or hints on how to play the game.

The game has a complex puzzle system, some things are things while trying to survive no one would think of. An example is in a future mission you must distract a shibito, undead corpse, by knocking over a bank in the room behind it and then you must run to the other side of the house to gain access. The game is infamous for leaving players stumped, and if the puzzle isn't done with precise accuracy you must restart the level or die since then there is no way to complete the level.

The head of the game's development is the man who was incharge of the original Silent Hill game Keiichiro Toyama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiichiro_Toyama). Indeed some aspect sof Siren are close if not the same as those in Silent hill; however, only difference in my honest opinion the game is a lot harder than any of the Silent hills to date. Infact in several walkthrough posts I've read its been written in at least two or three times that the game is nearly impossible to beat without a guide.

Indeed I'd have to agree with the statement above. The game is intensely hard, including there are scarce weapons you may get for your characters, some can't even weild weapons, and the monsters will always come back to life after some time. You can absolutely not kill any monsters in the game. Often while trying to kill said monster you often may end up dieing since they may alert other shibito in the area. The game is also intensely dark, you can't see within ten feet of your own character in the game, at least ten, and the only means of knowing where shibito are is by a concept called sight jacking.

Sight jacking is the ability to see through your enemies' eyes, and to do so will leave your character vulnerable to any and all attackers. Often the game calls for hiding and sight jacking to see if you are safe to escape the area you are trapped in. Stealth is needed for this game, if you do not like sneaking around then I would say avoid this game at all costs; however, if you like challenges this game is for you.

Along side the eerie chanting music and bone chilling screeching sounds that play throughout the game to drown out the silence, you must also stumble through the dark sometimes while a shibito is trailing behind you... In some cases it might not be one or two shibito chasing after you, some times its five or six. And the game will let you know when you've been seen since the screen with suddenly glow red and a distinguished grunt and hysterical laughter will be heard.

The deeper you progress in the game though, the mor einteresting and disgustingly brilliant the plot becomes. Its similar to the plot in Silent hill; however, its a lot more fun to learn and it gives you a run for your money.

I'd give the game a 7/10 or a 3.5/5 stars. Its incredibly hard, I've never honestle beaten it, and at the same time its a ton of fun. I'd highly suggest it to those who love stealth games, and for those who want to be scared.

Oculin
07-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Me and stealth rarely go hand in hand when it comes to video games. Ill probably keep away since i never really had interest in the game and i still have plenty of survival horrors i need go grab. It sounds a little too basic though from how you described it. Also what type of environments are there? Any old houses and such or is it all just like outside areas?

Good review though~ your score sounds pretty spot on with what you said.

BlackExcalibur
07-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Your review is pretty spot on. It's an alright game but I hate that you're pretty much required to use a guide to beat it properly.