PDA

View Full Version : Moving.

Carnage
07-25-2009, 11:26 PM
For probably the 6th time. It's really difficult to adjust to every time. I get further and further away from my friends, not to mention having a difficult enough time by being alone for about 20/24 hours a day really has a negative impact on your brain...I guess the point of this thread is, do you like moving? Have you moved frequently?

someone70
07-25-2009, 11:45 PM
I've only moved twice in my life: once was only 1/4 mile from home, the other was across the country. I don't really like moving all that much because there's the packing, paying, and saying goodbyes. It's a depressing time for me. :( On the other hand, moving does present you with new opportunities to make friends and try new things. You can also come back and visit and stay in touch with your old friends as if you had never moved. So I guess it all depends on your perspective in how you weigh the consequences. Basically, moving can be good and bad.

tonyzerwak
07-26-2009, 12:03 AM
i moved once right before 1st grade, and that was an easy move because little kids are more friendly. it's a lot easier to make friends when you're a kid i guess.

and then i moved right after 9th grade which basically flipped everything lol. i kind of regret moving but that might just be because it was from one extreme to another. where i had lived before (NC) there was only 400 people are so in the whole high school and i knew all of the people in my grade by first and last name, and probably have had a conversation with each of them at least once at some point :P but i moved to Florida where there was like 3000 people in the high school or something insane before it split into another school. when a new kid came to our school in NC everyone knew about it but in FL if there was someone new, you wouldn't know the difference because you see a new person everyday lol.

but i always like to think that everything happens for a reason. i enjoyed it here and made lots of new friends, although i sometimes wonder what i would have been like if i had stayed back there.

it is fun to go back and visit though, that is for sure. you get to catch up with old times and see how everything has changed, from the area to people's faces. its an enjoyable experience if you can get back there.

Dotcom
07-26-2009, 12:08 AM
I moved from my hometown when i was 4 wasn't that bad. Then when i was 14 or 15 i think i moved to a town called crestview in florida lived there for couple years wasn't that bad then i moved to kansas and i gotta say i really dont like it here. :)

07-26-2009, 12:44 AM
i only moved once and i was 5 so it didn't really affect me (especially since i just graduated from preschool) but i may move for college depending on where i go

caramelslice
07-26-2009, 01:04 AM
Certain moves I didn't mind because I was too young to remember. The more recent moves made huge impacts on my life. I'm what some people call a military brat - my dad's in the US Navy.

I was born in the Philippines, and about less than a year after that my family and I moved to Long Beach, California. Stayed there until I was around three years old. We were stationed in Sasebo, Japan for 13-14 years. I consider Sasebo my hometown. It was interesting that we were able to stay there for so long because normally, when you're stationed somewhere you stay for one tour (roughly three years). I guess my dad was always able to extend his tour until finally, after my sophomore year we moved to Seaside, California.

The move felt so surreal. Yes, I cried during the plane ride. When we arrived in California, the first few months felt strange. I felt like I was on a long vacation and that I'd eventually go back to Sasebo. But school started, and I slowly came to terms with the fact that I was no longer living in Sasebo. My younger sister took it harder than all of us. She had this sort of "I hate this place. Japan is better" kind of attitude. And it irritated me how she made it sound like she missed Sasebo the most.

So I attended my last two years of high school in Monterey High. Made friends there, and found a close group of friends there (we still keep in touch). But when graduation came, it didn't feel as touching for me as it did for my classmates, considering a majority of them all grew up with each other. I didn't get that shared feeling of, "We made it guys!" It was more like, "Aww that's sweet."

The most recent move was a little less than a year ago - moving down to LA for college. My dad was already away in Bahrain, so it was just my mom and sister who dropped me off. They were both crying the day they got back from dropping me off. But for me, it felt like I was on a sports trip like back in high school. I appeared to be doing alright, but after a few months I started realizing how homesick I was.

But yeah, in short, I think moving is alright. I've moved four times, an average of one move every 4.75 years. The move from Sasebo to Seaside sucked though XP

Rubberduckzilla
07-26-2009, 06:42 AM
I haven't ever moved, and I kinda wish I did. I'd imagine the adventure of meeting new people would be amazing, new places and new experiences. However of the other end of the scale would be the OP who is sick of it. :/

I know a friend who is an American citizen but was born in Germany and had to move all over Europe and America with her Dad because he was in the military. She didn't really like it either and I think she likes it now she has a more stable enviroment.

Trombonus
07-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Well, I was born in England, but moved here to California when I was 7. Had my 8th birthday here in America, then moved back home to England. Had my 9th Birthday in England and then moved back to California.

I actually moved cities once during my first stay in California too. We originally moved in with my grandparents over here, but decided to move in with my Uncle. We moved back to England when we couldn't sell the house (my dad stayed behind to try and sell the house. We didn't see him for about a year). We finally sold the house and moved back in with my Uncle, then moved to a different house in the same city, but I still had to switch schools. Then a little while later we actually bought my uncle's house with him. A little while later we moved to the next town over inbetween my sophomore and junior year of high school, but my parents let me stay at my old school which I am ever so thankful for.

So yeah, I've moved a lot.

Do I enjoy it? I have to say, I do kinda enjoy the process of moving. You're going through your things and tend to uncover some memories in the process. Then venturing into that wide open space? Call me crazy, but I love venturing into a completely empty room. It's so full of...possibility.

However, having to start over at a new school sucks. I went to 5 different elementary schools (2 in England and three in California). That was not fun, but thankfully things became stable after I started middle school. Even that wasn't so fun though because most of my friends from the elementary schools were going to the other middle school in our city. This is why I'm so glad to have been able to stay at my old high school. Going in to a our main rival's school as a junior would not have been fun, although I did have to do marching band camp for both schools, and to their credit they were very welcoming and receptive to me. That's band for you though.

the1stpkmnfan
07-26-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm sorry to hear that your moving. But if it makes you feel better. I had to move twice, but they were hard for me.

During my first move in 2004, it was like the 2nd year of my mom and dads divorce. And since my mom has planned to move in with her boyfriend, which he didn't mind, I had to leave my school in Lewisville. Which I'd attend another school in NRH. I was sad to leave the place I grew up in, but I was a bit glad I didn't go to my school another year because we were gonna have uniforms for a stupid reason. But it was like a debat voting: yes or no. Yes won. So anyway, I finished up my school year in 2004, and we ended up never living in our old house ever again. The summer of 2004 is when I began living in NRH and going onto 5th grade.

Now when the time came again to move, I had to leave my school in NRH, I was in 7th grade and I was excited to go onto 8th grade at my school. But since Dec 2006 came, we met two of our close friends again! So my mom got back together with the dad of my new step sister (the two who we met again). So now that I finished the school year of 7th grade, I had to move to Denton to live with my mom and step dad. I didn't want to leave because I got use to being in the 5th-7th grade with all my new friends. I wish I didn't have to leave but I had to. So in the summer of 2007, I started to live in Denton.

So now, Im thinking I will never move again. I started going to school in Denton since 8th grade. 8th was ok, but not as great as my High School. Though, the reason I want to stay in Denton is because of my PAL I met in 8th, who met me 2 times a month till May. Which, you guys will meet Tuesday at my stream.

Though, despite the pain on moving from place to place, it's all about growing up. I didnt like that at first, but now I matured into it.

Carnage
07-26-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm sorry to hear that your moving. But if it makes you feel better. I had to move twice, but they were hard for me.

During my first move in 2004, it was like the 2nd year of my mom and dads divorce. And since my mom has planned to move in with her boyfriend, which he didn't mind, I had to leave my school in Lewisville. Which I'd attend another school in NRH. I was sad to leave the place I grew up in, but I was a bit glad I didn't go to my school another year because we were gonna have uniforms for a stupid reason. But it was like a debat voting: yes or no. Yes won. So anyway, I finished up my school year in 2004, and we ended up never living in our old house ever again. The summer of 2004 is when I began living in NRH and going onto 5th grade.

Now when the time came again to move, I had to leave my school in NRH, I was in 7th grade and I was excited to go onto 8th grade at my school. But since Dec 2006 came, we met two of our close friends again! So my mom got back together with the dad of my new step sister (the two who we met again). So now that I finished the school year of 7th grade, I had to move to Denton to live with my mom and step dad. I didn't want to leave because I got use to being in the 5th-7th grade with all my new friends. I wish I didn't have to leave but I had to. So in the summer of 2007, I started to live in Denton.

So now, Im thinking I will never move again. I started going to school in Denton since 8th grade. 8th was ok, but not as great as my High School. Though, the reason I want to stay in Denton is because of my PAL I met in 8th, who met me 2 times a month till May. Which, you guys will meet Tuesday at my stream.

Though, despite the pain on moving from place to place, it's all about growing up. I didnt like that at first, but now I matured into it.
Adjusting is definitely hard...I've cycled through at least 4 groups of friends, yet only have about 3 who I've known for a long time (9+ years). If you can adjust, anyone will be a better person for it.