PDA

View Full Version : Something you should have done when playing FF9...

Rubedo
07-27-2009, 05:31 AM
I kept trying to tell you guys to do it in the chat, but it was ignored, it would have sped things up considerably. I would have mentioned this before but I've only just remembered XD

As soon as you get the Blue Narciss (the boat), you can go to the Salvage Archipelago, which is a chain of islands near Daguerro. Bring Zidane (obviously), Quina and whichever other two characters you want. Give Quina the Coral Ring and give everybody the Antibody ability.

Fight on the beach until you encounter Whale Zombies, have Quina eat that to learn Level 5 death.

Then run on the grass until you encounter Grand Dragons, yeah, the same monsters that're up near Daguerro (but you can do this much earlier than you have access to an airship).

Have everyone guard except for Quina, who will cast Level 5 Death. Grand Dragon is level 60, instant death. You'll gain about 2 or 3 levels if you're at or below an average level for that point in the game. Eventually it'll taper off to 1 level a fight and eventually every two fights, and so on, but it's extremely fast and can get you upwards of 10 levels in like ~30 minutes.

Of course since you may not want to use Quina, you can always swap out one of your other two at some point for someone else, it'll make the party level unbalanced, but you'll still be much more powerful than you were before.

By the way, I saw how you guys were hating on Quina and saying s/he sucks... when s/he is pretty much the most powerful character in the game >_>

MSico
07-27-2009, 06:30 AM
I remember you saying to use L5Death on Grand Dragons, and I told the player this, but I suppose it didn't materialize... :?

coolasj19
07-27-2009, 06:39 AM
omg. y'all couldve gotten to guadasalam with the time saved huh?

zion777
07-27-2009, 09:19 AM
I player may not have used that strat, but I am glad you posted it, since I playing it now and that sounds like a great idea.

Essentia
07-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Something else that would have sped up the bosses considerably would have been to use the "killer" abilities, such as Bird Killer, Devil Killer, and Man Eater. Bird Killer works on anything that's flying (including Trance Kuja and Necron), and Devil Killer works on most of the bosses on discs 3 and 4. These abilities affect your damage output much more than your levels do. MP Attack also would have helped quite a bit. I was in the same boat as you, Rubedo: I saw that the player had learned these abilities, and I kept trying to tell him in the chat to use them, but it never happened. Aw well, maybe next time. ;)

TheUserless
07-27-2009, 02:07 PM
I remember this being said while the game was being played and I kinda had hope to see it but o well now gonna have to try and do it myself.

xSnappsx
07-30-2009, 06:59 AM
I've never known about that L5 Death Quina Grand Dragon thing, I'm gonna be sure to use that the next time I play through FFIX.