PDA

View Full Version : Sir Bobby Robson has died at the age of 76 =[

TourettesOnFire
07-31-2009, 07:10 AM
Former England manager Sir Bobby Robson has died at the age of 76, following a long battle with cancer.

Robson will be best remembered on the international stage for leading England to the 1990 World Cup semi-final.

At club level, he cut his managerial teeth at Fulham before establishing his credentials at Ipswich where he won the FA Cup and Uefa Cup in a 13-year stay.

Spells at PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, Porto and Barcelona followed before he managed Newcastle.

Robson, who was first diagnosed with cancer 18 years ago in 1991, fought a brave battle against the disease. He beat bowel cancer in 1992, a malignant melanoma in 1995 and a tumour in his right lung and a brain tumour, both in 2006.

R.I.P Sir Bobby.

Rubberduckzilla
07-31-2009, 07:36 AM
Upsetting, upsetting that it happens everyday to so many people who lose loved ones and a part of their lives. I was going to say that I find it disturbing that a public figure would get more compassion than an unknown figure who went through equal turmoil, but then I remembered that it was only coverage.

He seemed to live a full life, I don't watch football but he was a national figure here in the UK and although I don't agree his death should be glamorized over other people, it's sad to see another person go.

TourettesOnFire
07-31-2009, 07:46 AM
Upsetting, upsetting that it happens everyday to so many people who lose loved ones and a part of their lives. I was going to say that I find it disturbing that a public figure would get more compassion than an unknown figure who went through equal turmoil, but then I remembered that it was only coverage.

He seemed to live a full life, I don't watch football but he was a national figure here in the UK and although I don't agree his death should be glamorized over other people, it's sad to see another person go.

It always happens with celebs, look at Jacko. That was over the top.

And it's not really glamorized. It's just to pay respect to a legend in football.
I don't think another english england manager will come around for some time yet...

Plus he fought off FOUR different types of cancer. This guy was a true battler.
Just comes to show if you get diagnosed. Fight on

Rubberduckzilla
07-31-2009, 07:54 AM
It always happens with celebs, look at Jacko. That was over the top.

And it's not really glamorized. It's just to pay respect to a legend in football.
I don't think another english england manager will come around for some time yet...

Yeah, I was thinking of Jade Goody in particular. It was upsetting to see a mother and wife leave her 2 young kids and husband, but not to the extent I felt it was played.

And by glamorized, I was thinking of the people in the pub later who I'll have to serve who will think his death above that of other people. It wasn't a comment of Bobby, but the people of Britain. He was a strong and determined man to go through what he went through, cancer treatments are rigorous and I wouldn't wish it upon anybody.

TourettesOnFire
07-31-2009, 08:05 AM
I actually hated Jad Goody, and all the cancer talk in papers and everywhere was doing my head in.

She's a fake celeb, shes not done anything good in this world. Shame on her kids but that really did my head in. She didn't deserve all the condolences she got.

Sure her two kids don't have a mom. Plenty more kids in this world don't have a mum, why do we have to feel empathy for jade goody?

But anyway, back to Sir Bobby. It's shame his died but he did have a great life :]

Red Devil82
07-31-2009, 08:36 AM
R.I.P. Sir Bobby Robson

the1stpkmnfan
07-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Oh, no. :( To be honest, I never knew him, but I wish him RIP.

TourettesOnFire
07-31-2009, 11:59 AM
He was a great guy, and he got honored for his work with a knighting :]