PDA

View Full Version : LETS PLAY!!!

CommentatorGuy
08-05-2009, 11:00 AM
This new section was inspired by chuggaconroy :D This forum was created due to having no place for our Lets Play community members to share their videos with the rest of our community without it being considered advertisement. Here at TSG we fully support those taking on the challenges of being a Lets Play player and are giving you guys this section to help out. Enjoy!

Letifer
08-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Good idea~ o:
I would do a let's play if I could. But I don't have nay good equipment for that~ :3
I'll try to get my hands one some recording stuff one beautiful day. :I

Tachyon
08-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Yay! I`m the first to make a topic XD Well, I think there will be many topics here

BlackExcalibur
08-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Awesome idea! I've been thinking of doing an LP myself but I'm still kinda on the fence about it.

Bakanekokao
08-05-2009, 11:22 AM
I think there should be a thread written by Lper's, experienced ones, telling people who want to what equpiment to use and how to make the videos. I think that'd be a good idea!

CommentatorGuy
08-05-2009, 11:30 AM
I think there should be a thread written by Lper's, experienced ones, telling people who want to what equpiment to use and how to make the videos. I think that'd be a good idea!

Very awesome idea baka! Now just to get some pro LP player to do it XD

SpectacleG
08-05-2009, 11:49 AM
I've wanted to do this sort of thing for a while but my lack of a capture card is holding me back. Perhaps I'll do videos of PC games or something...

Trombonus
08-05-2009, 11:55 AM
There is a thread about this actually, and it can be found here. (http://forums.thespeedgamers.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3205) :D

Bakanekokao
08-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Well then that needs to be a sticky on here!

CodeZTM
08-05-2009, 12:21 PM
YAY. This is so neat! Especially because I've been considering doing a LP for a while now. =D This might just push me over the edge and get me to do my LP Emerald version. _awesome_

Trombonus
08-05-2009, 12:24 PM
I've been planning on doing an LP for a couple years now, but never seem to be able to get around to it. >.< I tried recording the other day but it ended up being a lot harder than I thought it would be. Luckily I figured out and fixed the technical problems I was having and now only need to sit down and record. :P

pkGamerB
08-05-2009, 12:28 PM
This section was a great idea! _awesome_ I've never been sure on where I should post things like this. This might motivate me to do my own LP as well.

Mega_Mario
08-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Looks like a great section. :D

08-05-2009, 12:54 PM
This is a very great idea. I would like to post a few things if you don't mind.

CommentatorGuy
08-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Glad to hear everyone is liking the new section!

Feel free to post away!

Raen
08-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Having this new section is a great idea. Actually, now I'm inspired to start my LP sooner than I was planning! (Probably doing The Minish Cap, maybe Ocarina of Time)

Snozberries
08-05-2009, 01:59 PM
I do LP's....but i consider myself far from a pro XD

pikminsquad2148
08-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I've been planning on LP's but I need a goodtime to do them. Summer is almost over and Im just too lazy. :?

the1stpkmnfan
08-05-2009, 05:26 PM
I always wanted to have a section for LPs now. So I cant wait to start my first LP. ^^

Raen
08-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Yay, I just finished my first part of my Ocarina of Time LP. I'll make a topic about it shortly, once it's actually up on the web.

Triforce Saturn
08-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Just gonna present a question for maybe a mod to answer. Would other types of Let's Plays be allowed in this topic, like screenshot LPs (i.e. take a screenshot of a game, provide commentary on it, rinse and repeat)?

BlackExcalibur
08-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I'd say screenshot LPs should be allowed because they work better with certain games.

CommentatorGuy
08-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I'd say screenshot LPs should be allowed because they work better with certain games.
Yes what he said :)

Who knows maybe we will change that in the future but for now there is no rules against it.

Bakanekokao
08-06-2009, 03:44 PM
I think there should be a one topic perperson rule applied here.

DrewStern
08-06-2009, 03:47 PM
what if one person makes a lets play guide and advertises there lets play?

Bakanekokao
08-06-2009, 07:23 PM
just liek streaming they can do that in their topic, otherwise it spams other topics off the page and well... people won't be happy.

BlackExcalibur
08-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Ok, I've got an idea for something, though I'm not sure if it counts. If it gets off the ground it will involve The Sims 2 and perhaps people from these very forums. I'm not technically LPing The Sims 2 but I'll sort of be LPing something using it, does that count?

Kilgard
08-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Ok, I've got an idea for something, though I'm not sure if it counts. If it gets off the ground it will involve The Sims 2 and perhaps people from these very forums. I'm not technically LPing The Sims 2 but I'll sort of be LPing something using it, does that count?

I want to see this... so it counts in my books XD

BlackExcalibur
08-09-2009, 08:02 PM

I want to see this... so it counts in my books XD

Thanks! There's a lot of preparation involved and I'm still not sure if I can pull it off.

I'm pretty sure most everyone would like it though.

NintendoCapriSun
08-11-2009, 12:08 PM
What else could be cool is to have a section where we can recommend "up and coming" LP'ers; I've discovered a few newbs in the last few weeks that could use a little love. SuperTwitterWh-re for example (obviously the dash is an "o") 8-)

Corvak
08-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Ooooh, an LP section. Usually I gotta go log into Something Awful for my LP fix. Cool :)

Omega
08-17-2009, 03:49 AM
i started my lp for emerald version finally and i'll post my link to my channel on youtube after my 5th episode

corlando1992
08-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Let's Play PokeMon Colloseum is going to be my next LP after EarthBound. My channel is in my signature. Stay Tuned and check out my stuff. PM me your youtube channel and i'll add you to my friends and sub to you.

Masamune
08-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Ohh, a LP section. :P I should have one up within the next couple of weeks, as soon as I can get my hands on some recording equipment. (A capture card and microphone. ~.~)

Omega
08-28-2009, 12:30 AM
okay well i have my youtube channel posted on my profile and if you can sub to me, i'll return the favor and i'm open to all critisim as well

ArtenXevious
09-10-2009, 09:10 AM
I know it's a little late for the 'ooh, an LP forum!' but...what they said. :D
I love these things. I have no idea why, but I just can't stop watching them. It's a bit like my unnatural love of speedruns...

Speaking of, I wanted to ask a question. I'm currently recording segments of a speedrun test run, but I'm doing it more like a LP than a serious speedrun. Sort of a 'Let's Speedrun!' but whatever. What I was wondering is if it were alright to advertise it here because as much as I love people lolling at me, I'm also bound to get serious criticisms of my speed strategies.
So, right, the question all summary like: Is it alright to put up a 'Let's Speedrun!' here?

TheSacredWolf
09-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Speaking of equipment, I'm actually using my microphone from the N64 game "Hey You Pikachu!" But I get messages about how my mic is good! :D

KoshiSushi
11-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I'm making a Let's Play of Super Mario Galaxy now, and I kinda need some advice on it to make it better. :)

SOAR
12-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I'm making a Let's Play of Super Mario Galaxy now, and I kinda need some advice on it to make it better. :)

Well where do you think it lacks luster?

finalchase11
12-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Yeah cool An LP Board! I've got 4 LPs going too and need to record some more too finals and project have taken over. I'll get back too them soon.

DSTP
12-20-2009, 09:06 PM
this thread is great. thanks for making it guys!
you can find me on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkShotThePoisoner
ive been doing lets plays and the like for a half a year now, and would love some input and constructive criticism from anyone. thanks!

Stoc15
12-21-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm probably going to spend most of my time on here posting on this forum the most. Then again, I might as well continue to post on some other forums as well. It's my choice, though. Anyway, see you guys when I start Shiny Gold X!

abyssmalstar
12-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Ive started out by doing something easy (i took on the Pokemon yellow elite four with only 2 pokemon) and asked for suggestions for an LP problem is, no one watched my vids and requested anything and i hate making decisions...

Gimmepienow
01-03-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm soon gonna begin Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team, as my first LP. I'm thinking about doing this one first because It's an easy and short game and I don't wanna jump into anything big right off the bat just in case I won't be able to handle it.
Once I get my first episode up, which should be very soon, I'll post my Youtube channel in my signature. Give me any criticism you got because I seriously wanna do good at this.

quakmastr
01-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Hey guys, this Let's Play thread is really interesting and I would like to participate.

I myself do not have the capturing capabilities to produce good-looking, quality videos. I also don't consider myself a seasoned or even moderately good player of games not to mention I am not really that funny/informative/interesting on my own.

That being said, I would gladly do guest commentary for anyone who wants to do it.

kingdomheartsfan1
01-06-2010, 03:50 PM
i need some help with getting my dazzle working. when i use i am done recording which file do I pt into windos movie maker?

satori7
01-07-2010, 05:47 AM
Anyone know a good microphone I could get for my Kingdom Hearts 2 LP?

Remino52
01-10-2010, 11:15 AM
My iMac's built-in Microphone isn't bad.

Jnooley
01-10-2010, 11:24 AM

Any microphone designed for Podcasting will do above and beyond the job you need for a LP commentary. Heres an example of a reasonably priced Mic that a quick Google search yielded http://www.alesis.com/usbmic

From that you can search reviews, opinions ect to find out which one has the features at the cost thats right for you.

Omega
01-13-2010, 05:46 PM

i use a $20 logitech one and it works wonders compared to my other one i had before, so i'd recomend picking one up

ShoddySilver
05-09-2010, 12:53 PM
I am actually gonna be doing my LP's Summer of 2010. I actually had inspiration from Chuggaaconroy. He is amazing pretty much why I got into LP's. I plan on Commentating I can actually Voice act a little. I haven't really tried but yeah. Things to use for Lp's that I would recommend would be a Dazzle (Note: I am gonna be doing Wii, N64, all those good Nintendo Console Games.) I would teake it a step up but budget is low. A good Headset would be bought from Logitech check them out amazing Quality. Anyways Yeah need help I am rather new to TSG but I do carry some knowledge :D Make sure you stay tuned to TSG and watch them marathons, amazing games played by amazing people. Make sure you donate too :D

~Sorry if I kinda Advertised but just offering some help and as well as letting people know I do Lp's :D Anyways

~ Ciao - Shoddy Silver

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShoddySilver
Chuggaaconroy's Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chuggaaconroy

BlackExcalibur
05-12-2010, 06:26 PM
I was wondering, has anyone here had guest commentary in their LP's? I don't really feel like doing an LP myself, but if anyone wants someone to commentate with I'm up for it.

ShoddySilver
05-12-2010, 07:23 PM
As much as I would like to I would want to, I am starting my own LP and I am short a Mic. I find Talking/Commentating fun but some people don't. You don't even need commentary in your videos it could just be a straight up walkthrough. You don't need commentary in order for it to be a LP. Keep that in mind :D

quakmastr
06-08-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm in the middle of a screenshot LP right now. I'm using Imageshack to host the images, but it is a bit clumsy to use and not entirely organized.

I was wondering if there was a better image hosting site I could use with an good interface and better organization.

SilverLPJ
06-08-2010, 05:26 PM
here's a topic from somethingawful with pros and cons of some image host that might help
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=353332923&forumid=191

quakmastr
06-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks a whole lot! This will definitely help me!

Torchtobin
06-09-2010, 12:30 PM
I was wondering, has anyone here had guest commentary in their LP's? I don't really feel like doing an LP myself, but if anyone wants someone to commentate with I'm up for it.

I've actually LP'd some games myself.

And in some of those LP's (More like 75% of them :lol: ), I've had someone co-star or guest commentate on it.

I find this way much more fun to do and it's always great to have a second opinion on stuff while in-game.

But, like someone had said before, you don't have to have a guest commentator or commentary at all.

Oh, and I'm Torchtobin btw. I'm new here xD

ShoddySilver
06-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Welcome Torchtobin! I'd love to Let's Play and like I said I will be. After the 23rd things kick off. I actually perfer to work alone because I am just that type XD though Co - Commentating might be a possibility. Whatever suits you best is the type of LP'ing I would do.

Ziner110
06-16-2010, 07:19 PM
i've been wanting to do an LP for a while, any tips?

xClutchxF
06-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Yay! 3 cheers for chuggaa!!

Ziner110
06-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Yay! 3 cheers for chuggaa!!

Hip Hip Horray!!! Hip Hip Horray!!! Hip Hip Horray!!!

UselessRob
07-17-2010, 01:33 AM
I guess this would be the best place to ask: what would be an ideal capture card to use? I've been seriously considering making a couple LP's of my own and i'm not sure what I should use with my Samsung HDTV. I don't know if using a Dazzle would be an injustice towards my TV, or buying a HD PVR would be overkill. I really just want something that produces good enough quality and minimal lag(though I don't know if I can control that). Thanks for any help guys.

BakedSteel
07-20-2010, 06:11 AM
I, myself use a "dazzle dvc 100", the quality is good, but it's all personal preference really.

xShadowBlitzx
07-22-2010, 03:53 AM
I also use my Dazzle DVC 100, To be honest it's all about what you want to do, I myself have a 1080p HDTV and my dazzle suit's it just fine, I'm not fussed about HD since most of the games i've been doing have been PS2 so HD hasn't been a worry but if i wanted to do 360 games HD would be a great asset with such games like Infinite Undiscovery which most people who have tried to get good quality from SD have failed as it was made FOR HD.

tucan110
07-30-2010, 08:40 PM
I would like to see a LP of a James Bond game. For any LPers out there, I would greatly appreciate it.

KDrizzle
08-01-2010, 12:12 AM
I am currently doing an LP of Cat Planet, but not the full game because I don't like it that much. Also me and my friend didn't have that much time to do the full game. It kinda sucks that I have to use the free equipment off of the interwebs... But I am content.

BakedSteel
08-05-2010, 01:08 PM
I just need to share this video with you all, simply because the nature of it is so strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKFoQKgYkP0

Have you ever heard of (or let alone played) Duel Masters the video game? I have.

pokemonmasterbab
08-16-2010, 05:47 PM
I started my own LP. Megaman starforce 3 black ace

Poke_Poacher
08-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Good idea~ o:
I would do a let's play if I could. But I don't have nay good equipment for that~ :3
I'll try to get my hands one some recording stuff one beautiful day. :I

Well getting the gear isn't very hard. If you're Let's Playing a wii game, for example, and if you already have a wii, tv, and the game, then the rest of the gear costs maybe 30$ at most. A good capture card is easycap, which is like 10 bucks on amazon, and you need an A/V splitter cable, which is like 8 bucks on amazon. The only problem may come if you don't use a mac, and may have to buy editing software, becuase macs come with iMovie, which works fine for a lot of games.

deathartic
09-26-2010, 02:44 PM
sweeet , this section i shall check it out

quakmastr
11-15-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm a bit sad that my Wario Land 3 LP didn't catch on. I suppose it was because it was screenshot. I still feel it is best if I do that style first instead of video, but I should think of another game to LP.

What do you guys think of a screenshot LP? If you guys like it, I will definitely try it again.

RaikouRider
11-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Honestly, RPGs are better suited to screenshot LPs than action games.

lottyangel4eva
12-03-2010, 05:06 PM
i started my LP in october which is super mario sunshine and i use a dazzle capture card

ShoddySilver
12-19-2010, 11:37 AM
I am currently doing an LP of Cat Planet, but not the full game because I don't like it that much. Also me and my friend didn't have that much time to do the full game. It kinda sucks that I have to use the free equipment off of the interwebs... But I am content.

I wouldn't Let's Play a game you don't necessarily like. That can create boring commentary and also bore yourself. Try playing something you enjoy instead! It creates more momentum as you talk and or commentate. I would reccomend doing that!

LoboRaptorLo
01-28-2011, 10:27 AM
LP: Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix (will begin the Story Mode once every song will have been made in Super Hard (aw come on, 29 song is not so hard !!!). Coming soon Song # 22: Midnight Drive

supersmashman50
01-30-2011, 12:02 AM
lps= awesome sauce

Bearracuda
07-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Honestly I had no idea there was such a community for LPs, but then again, I guess it is pretty popular. I ended up stumbling across this because a couple of friends and I made a channel for LPs and we were wondering how to get the word out. You don't want to be obnoxious with spamming or anything, but there's got to be a market somewhere for LPs, right? Otherwise no one would watch.

Anyway, I've done some live streaming in the past, and I've recorded a couple videos, so now we're moving on to LPs. If anyone's interested you can check it out here. (http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTaleUntold)

Our first real project so far is Trine 2. I'll be posting a proper thread about it later once we've gotten a couple more videos up.

wee187
07-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Honestly I had no idea there was such a community for LPs, but then again, I guess it is pretty popular. I ended up stumbling across this because a couple of friends and I made a channel for LPs and we were wondering how to get the word out. You don't want to be obnoxious with spamming or anything, but there's got to be a market somewhere for LPs, right? Otherwise no one would watch.

Anyway, I've done some live streaming in the past, and I've recorded a couple videos, so now we're moving on to LPs. If anyone's interested you can check it out here. (http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTaleUntold)

Our first real project so far is Trine 2. I'll be posting a proper thread about it later once we've gotten a couple more videos up.

That's cool, just we prefer that you're a little active in other parts of the forum before posting an entire new thread for an LP. Forum policy and all that. :)

Bearracuda
07-16-2012, 08:29 PM
That's cool, just we prefer that you're a little active in other parts of the forum before posting an entire new thread for an LP. Forum policy and all that. :)

Sure. I've been following TSG for ages. Got into it when I saw one of their Final Fantasy marathons a couple years back.

MegaKidicarus
06-16-2013, 02:45 PM
One Thing to note for new let's players is quality matters.