PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Checklist 09': Prize's to be won!

TheSpeedGamers
09-14-2009, 12:35 AM
We will be needing a checklist to use for our Pokemon Marathon 2, which takes place on Dec. 18th.

The checklist should be divided by game, you will have to use your opinion on which game we should catch which pokemon on if that pokemon appears in multiple games. We want to try and distribute the load fairly evenly, however if you think it would save us time by leaving out a game entirely and tacking on more Pokemon to a certain checklist, go for it.

Remember that all the pokemon must be tradeable to one cart, so using the original red, and blue wont work, must be GBA series and later.

The list of games available to us (Remember, it's probably best to keep the games we use to a minimum):
Fire Red
Leaf Green
Heart Gold (imported)
Soul Silver (imported)
Ruby
Sapphire
Emerald
Diamond
Pearl
Platinum

I want to be able to attach a checklist to each game, and all the checklists should add up to a total of 493 pkmn. Meaning, if you do a checklist that has 200 on one, 200 on another, and another 150 on another, it's incorrect. The last thing we want is people catching multiple copies of pokemon on multiple copies of the game.

If a Pokemon is only obtained through an event, make note of that on your checklist. We will gather these Pokemon Pre marathon.

Whoever's checklist we decide to use, we will send a TSG shirt and Mystery Prize.

We'd like to have all checklists submitted by Nov 5th.

Thanks guys!

Edit:
I found last years checklist that we used. This is a perfect example of how the checklist should be made. Keep in mind Pokemon HG and SS are available to us now and that is why we are wanting a new checklist.

And please...please... do not use Colosseum or gale of darkness

Qmiser
09-14-2009, 04:43 AM
This is probably the first challenge I can actually do!!! Awesomeness! I'll see what I can make between all of my school work, band practices, planning for NaNoWriMo, and overall just doing nothing. _awesome_

Slowflake
09-14-2009, 05:34 AM
No Emerald or Platinum? Ouch, this makes things a lot more difficult then.

And those extra criteria mean I'm out of the race. I can't evaluate for the life of me how much time each individual Pokémon is going to take. Sure, you can't predict that kind of stuff for the likes of Feebas and Milotic, but I still have trouble for the easier stuff.

pikminsquad2148
09-14-2009, 05:50 AM
Cool I might do this. Yeah It might be a bit hard sice were not going to play Platinum or Emerald.

So how do we submit a list? Do we just email it as a Mircosoft Word Document?

09-14-2009, 08:25 AM
i've been making one for a while i just finished Leaf Green and Fire Red Checklist, just need to make a few edits then it's off to Ruby/Saphire

Ruju
09-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Rawr I'm not into hardcore pokemon playing enough to know these things. Good luck to anyone making a checklist. You are helping TSG achieve their goal of Catching Them All!

pkGamerB
09-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Hmm...I might give this a shot when I have some free time. I'll have to wait until more HG/SS pokemon locations come out, though.

Sonic62
09-14-2009, 11:58 AM
No Emerald or Platinum? Ouch, this makes things a lot more difficult then.

And those extra criteria mean I'm out of the race. I can't evaluate for the life of me how much time each individual Pokémon is going to take. Sure, you can't predict that kind of stuff for the likes of Feebas and Milotic, but I still have trouble for the easier stuff.
Aww, really? I thought you had an excellent shot at this.

awesomedude
09-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Sounds cool, I barely know anything about pokemon so i can't help, but good luck to those that are!

TheSpeedGamers
09-14-2009, 01:22 PM
We can use platinum and emerald, but wouldnt completely playing through those games take more time since you can gather all the pokemon you need from ruby sapphire, diamond or pearl.

Ashigaru
09-14-2009, 01:22 PM
What are we supposed to do about events? I still can't figure out how you're doing Celebi, Jirachi, Arceus, etc...

DrewStern
09-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Suggestion, its a lot easier if you don't do Fire Red, so you don't have to do Fire Red, Leaf Green and HGSS, so you get each Kanto Starter, and can get HGSS done more swiftly.

Qmiser
09-14-2009, 02:37 PM
We can use platinum and emerald, but wouldnt completely playing through those games take more time since you can gather all the pokemon you need from ruby sapphire, diamond or pearl.
So only use those as back-up games correct?

gama-chan
09-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Suggestion, its a lot easier if you don't do Fire Red, so you don't have to do Fire Red, Leaf Green and HGSS, so you get each Kanto Starter, and can get HGSS done more swiftly.
well they still need a Mewtwo, and I don't know if you can get him in HG&SS. I have seen picture but I'm still not sure if he's an event only pokemon or not.

DrewStern
09-14-2009, 02:39 PM
well they still need a Mewtwo, and I don't know if you can get him in HG&SS. I have seen picture but I'm still not sure if he's an event only pokemon or not.

Curelean Cave, and we still have LG.

kmmgreen5
09-14-2009, 02:59 PM
lets make sure there's back up plans for most of the games in case *cough cough* a failure occurs

cheesecake
09-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Wow, this definitely looks like something I could do. I'll think I'll give this a shot. :)

EDIT: Should we also include where the Pokemon can be caught in their respective games?

Ashigaru
09-14-2009, 03:36 PM
I've got a preliminary one set up, but I can't complete it until I find somewhere with HGSS encounter data (and until we get some idea how they plan to do those legends you don't normally see, like Mew or Deoxys)

the1stpkmnfan
09-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Oh, I remember reading a thread about this back for the 1st Pokemon marathon. Now I cant wait to see everyone's lists. :) Ill see if I can get a shot at it.

Slowflake
09-14-2009, 04:23 PM
The major problem with Mewtwo and the weather trio in HGSS is that

[spoiler:2pfgdci6]beating Red is required in BOTH GAMES, and building a team capable of beating him would waste some time that could be better spent, you know, filling that Dex.[/spoiler:2pfgdci6]

Mewtwo should be caught with a Master Ball in FRLG in any case, but the weather trio is more of a problem. Especially Rayquaza, who's at an absurdly high level and requires climbing that /!%?&% Sky Pillar.

Now, why I'm not taking part in this contest is because my chart was more focused on what to AVOID doing, as opposed to what to do like Britt's asking. With that being said, if anyone's interested, I could do that chart anyway to assist those bold enough to try their hand at this if they want a second opinion.

And as for what Britt asks, of course Platinum and Emerald should only be played if there are enough players. With only 8, of course you'd best stay with the "core" versions. It's just that playing them on top of everything else, provided there's enough manpower, has a lot of benefits, including, but not limited to, two extra Master Balls (including one for a Rayquaza obtainable before the E4!), buyable Wiki Berries in Platinum so that evolving Feebas is less of a chore (otherwise you'd really have to pay attention to harvesting your berries), and the benefit of extra flexibility should something go horribly wrong (like the aforementioned Feebas, who can take hours to find).

StopDropAndBear
09-14-2009, 04:32 PM
If there was anyone I'd trust to know what they're talking about here, it's you, Slowflake, so maybe all that can be taken into consideration anyway. I don't think they're TOO invested in including and omitting certain games, in my opinion, one of the benefits of getting this done so many months in advance is that there is room to adjust the game list, if need be..Britt doesn't strike me as the "it's my way or the highway!" kinda guy (:

I am a complete and utter Pokenoob, though, so all this is beyond me.

Ashigaru
09-14-2009, 05:06 PM
All I was planning on using Platinum for was the third 4th gen starter, but good call on getting Milotic evolved up also. I was considering doing the same thing with Emerald to avoid having to face Red for the final 3rd gen starter.

And I didn't find Mewtwo that hard to manually catch. Sure, I had to wait out his use of Recover, but once that was done, some status ailments (I know I had Jynx with Lovely Kiss, Powder Snow, and Ice Punch to try and freeze it, and Zapdos with Thunder Wave) and a stream of Timer Balls was able to snare it.

Slowflake
09-14-2009, 05:37 PM
That's true, but still, is there anything harder to catch than Mewtwo in FRLG? It'd be dumb to let those Master Balls go to waste. I suppose one of those from FRLG could be Pal Park'd to DPP for Azelf, to compensate the loss of the Platinum one, since Azelf is more of a pain than the legendary birds anyway.

And it's such a shame that there are just a few Pokémon that stop us from ditching Ruby or Sapphire or Diamond or Pearl in favor of the deluxe versions... namely Zangoose, Lunatone, and the Glameow and Stunky lines. (Even more frustrating when the best of the lot is friggin' Zangoose.)

Besides, there's no real need to rely on Platinum to get the third starter... Diamond could pick Turtwig and Pearl Chimchar, then Diamond could sent Turtwig to Pearl, restart and pick Piplup. They won't have any choice but to do that with FRLG and HGSS anyway.

And what SDB says is true, too... there's no real need to absolutely include Emerald and Platinum if there's a lack of players, nor is there a need to exclude them even if there isn't. As I just established, the eight Britt mentioned in the OP are absolutely needed, the rest are extras, but they would be welcome nonetheless.

Ashigaru
09-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Of course, the reason I did Mewtwo manually is because I wanted to Masterball Suicune for importing to Diamond. Took...I think about 20 minutes to catch Mewtwo - I can guarantee it would have taken longer to track my dog across the map for a turn.

bobo_dude16
09-14-2009, 05:51 PM
hmmm I am on it! but wont you have to reset a couple of games? I say emerald should be used just to get the other starter out of the way same with platinum... But I am probably missing something... I will try now!

Slowflake
09-14-2009, 05:59 PM
As I said, it's possible to pick a starter, send it to the other version, then restart. No need for the deluxe versions there. It takes a bit of time, but if Emerald and Platinum aren't played the whole way through anyway it doesn't matter.

Ashigaru
09-14-2009, 06:18 PM
He's right. Functionally, there's no difference between starting Ruby, picking a starter, sending it over, and restarting and starting Emerald, picking a starter, sending it over, and shutting it off. I was purely planning that because it could be done while the others were in progress, but there's no real time savings to be had.

Saviour
09-14-2009, 06:42 PM
im just wondering if theres a pokemon that appears in two different generations for example ponyta appears in pokemon lg/fr and in diamond etc (just guessing here) should we mention that it appears in either of those games on the checklist?

Scruff
09-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Since most of my knowledge about Pokemon revolves around the 3rd gen and onward, I've got most of R/S/E and D/P/P figured out. I'm pretty sure that you can catch Rayquaza in Sapphire and Emerald, but not Ruby, as to there being rocks in the way of the area. I'm sure there's other differences I know, but I'm trying to think of them right now.

Anyways, right now I'm copying all of the relevant information for catching Pokemon from Bulbapedia, and once that's done, I'll try to streamline most of the list so that there's not much unnecessary backtracking.

Slowflake
09-14-2009, 07:25 PM
We might want to know the full list of Pokémon available in HGSS before going ahead... for gen 3/4 Pokémon, I'm under the impression that not all of them will be available. It's just a guess, though.

I'm also assuming anything that requires beating Red is out of the question for HGSS, as well. And it might be more than we think...

the1stpkmnfan
09-14-2009, 07:27 PM
I think my plan do list 'em all is making 4 seperate documents on Microsoft Word. And add some colour to make it more fun. And Ill list all four for their Region. :P Ill work very hard till Im done, hopefully before November.

Ashigaru
09-14-2009, 08:40 PM
I set out a preliminary list, but have a lot of blank spaces for 2nd gen pokemon and ones that show up literally everywhere, so I have room to shuffle things if one game looks like it's getting overloaded.

the1stpkmnfan
09-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Strike that, Im gonna use Exel to make my lists. Plus, my moms helping me. :) Though, I do wonder if I'm going to include Emerald and Platinum or not. I was planning to skip them, but Im sure I don't mind if I include them. Two more games couldn't hurt.

Plus, my FRLG list is looking good so far. That's all I can say. :P

TheSpeedGamers
09-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Like SDB said, we are not dead set on anything, and we will have all of the games available to us.

If you have a checklist in mind that you think would work best, go for it! I'm open to anything.

M2k2 gu3st
09-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Hmm can we donate prizes?

pikminsquad2148
09-15-2009, 06:31 AM
So Let me get this straight.
We basically make the checklists like this:

FR/LG
No.1....
No.2.....
No.3.....

HG/SS
No.152....
No.153.....

Right?

TheSpeedGamers
09-15-2009, 08:01 AM
So Let me get this straight.
We basically make the checklists like this:

FR/LG
No.1....
No.2.....
No.3.....

HG/SS
No.152....
No.153.....

Right?

Well, you dont have to catch the #1 pokemon on fire red or leaf green if thats what you mean. You might be talking about something completely different though.

Ashigaru
09-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Pretty sure by #1, he meant Bulbasaur (Pokedex Entry 1)

TheSpeedGamers
09-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Ya, thats what I was refering to in my post. If that's the case, then no tha'ts not what I mean by the checklist.

For example. if you feel meowth would be much easier to catch in diamond or pearl than FR or LG, then you'd put meowth and persian on the Diamond and pearl checklist. The key is also trying to keep the checklist for each game balanced. It doesn't have to be spot on even, just as close as you can get.

I'll try to find a checklist from last year as an example.

LegendOfCookies
09-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Hmm maybe i'll try to take a crack at this but i would never win :P

pikminsquad2148
09-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Ya, thats what I was refering to in my post. If that's the case, then no tha'ts not what I mean by the checklist.

For example. if you feel meowth would be much easier to catch in diamond or pearl than FR or LG, then you'd put meowth and persian on the Diamond and pearl checklist. The key is also trying to keep the checklist for each game balanced. It doesn't have to be spot on even, just as close as you can get.

I'll try to find a checklist from last year as an example.

Yes I do mean "No.1" as Bulbasaur. I am still confused. So your saying if we think that if Oddish is eaiser to catch in HG/SS and we put him on the list for HG/SS, then we can't put him on the FR/LG list?

Might as well just wait for an example.@_@

Slowflake
09-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Yes I do mean "No.1" as Bulbasaur. I am still confused. So your saying if we think that if Oddish is eaiser to catch in HG/SS and we put him on the list for HG/SS, then we can't put him on the FR/LG list?

Might as well just wait for an example.@_@

You pretty much got it right. For example, since you get a free Happiny egg in Diamond and Pearl (NOT in Platinum), and Chansey is a pain to catch otherwise, you'd put Happiny, Chansey and Blissey in either Diamond or Pearl (not both), despite the fact that Chansey and Blissey are gen 1 and 2 respectively, if I understand what Britt is asking.

the1stpkmnfan
09-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Hmm, so this means I gotta omit some of the Pokemon throughout all the games Im gonna cover...

Well, the way I'm going for, to list them all, is Pokemon by REGION for each game partners. Like, if there's Pokemon who came in the series franchise starting from Johto, and they're available in FRLG (they are), then I'd still add them to my list for FRLG; just in the Johto Pokemon section. Sounds like all 4 documents of mine are gonna be big.
But here's what Im going for. I think I'm gonna add in a *recommended* note for any kind of Pokemon. Either for quicker to get in the game or easier to get in the game. Also a note to add, I know I wont add the Johto Starters for my RSE list, because even though theyre available in those games, it'll take WAY longer than what HGSS has to offer.

Regarding Event Pokemon, I got no problem detailing those.

And Starter Pokemon, Ill make sure to add in something like "Start the game, trade that starter to the opposite version (Playing FireRed? Trade it to LeafGreen)". Repeat till at least two of those starters are in the other handheld game. And you're all set for those Region starters. Same process for HGSS, RS, and DP. Platinum and Emerald might be okay with me to include. That way you dont really have to do that trading style for the starters. Like Diamond can have Turtwig, Pearl can have Chimchar, and Platinum can have Piplup. I think that works out nicely. :) And you just have to do the trading for two game partners.

Slowflake
09-15-2009, 06:28 PM
That was what I was planning on doing, but if I got this right Britt's asking for us to split up the Pokémon between each game. So it wouldn't be enough to say Pidgey's available in FRLG, DPP and HGSS, then rule out DPP because it's too tedious; we'd have to say which of FR, LG, HG or SS would have to do it.

the1stpkmnfan
09-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Ah okay. So, Johto Pokemon in FRLG sounds too long to catch, since they're so quick to catch in HGSS. I wont disagree with that, sounds like a good plan.

Scruff
09-15-2009, 09:58 PM
When it comes to getting pokemon in ways like using items, I don't know too much about that myself, though I'm sure that it's listed online.

the1stpkmnfan
09-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Okay. Now, that I reread the 1st Post, it looks like Ill need to redit my FRLG checklist and split them if that's what Im getting. No problem. Now this means.... 10 documents for me to print, Im sure that'll possibly be easier or a bit more difficult for me to do.

Again, still gonna do my best and also make it fun. xD

Saviour
09-15-2009, 11:17 PM
wow this is turning out to be a lot of work, but luckily we got till november to complete this xD

Ashigaru
09-15-2009, 11:53 PM
It seems there'll be some arbitrariness, and the assumption that they won't be rigidly wed to it. After all, it'd be ridiculous for the Diamond player to pass on a female Combee (and therefore Vespiquen) because someone put it on the Pearl list.

Slowflake
09-16-2009, 05:38 AM
Well, there's always the trick where you can reload the game and reroll the Combee's gender until it's female... but I get what you're saying nonetheless.

MichaelDSweet
09-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Now, I wonder if SS will involve some head butting of trees or continue to use honey? I'd like to think there will be some things easier to find by repeated head butts of trees in Johto if they provide late game trees for generation 3 and others...

Scruff
09-16-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm writing down all of the catch areas in order of pokemon right now, then I'll arrange it into different games.

Slowflake
09-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Headbutting was confirmed to return several weeks before the game came out. There are supposed to be several bugs from gens 3 and 4 available this way after the National Dex, but only Combee has been explicitly confirmed by Serebii so far. With that being said, Combee might be the one exception that's actually better to hunt with honey trees, because of the rerolling gender trick I mentioned above. And if they choose to go down that path, they might encounter Burmy and Cherubi that way as well while looking for a Combee, and maybe even Heracross if they get lucky. So those bugs that are available in both ways... I'm not sure where they should go.

bobo_dude16
09-16-2009, 02:28 PM
hmmm... I cannot find a HG/SS pokedex with catch areas...

Scruff
09-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Check on Bulbapedia, the catch areas are on there.

Sonic62
09-16-2009, 03:49 PM
This should help Britt and everyone else out a bit: viewtopic.php?p=12201#p12201 (http://forums.thespeedgamers.com/viewtopic.php?p=12201#p12201)

the1stpkmnfan
09-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Ah, thanks Sonic. I was suspecting I might have to do a chronical order. From start to finish, which I would see how it can help out the gamer way more.

I hope it's alright if Im still able to do a PokeDex style list. All seperate versions of coarse. Ill just put my words in my lists for self explanitory. :P

Slowflake
09-16-2009, 04:11 PM

Even so, we should probably wait until everything's confirmed. For example, there are quite a few who are "currently unknown", and while it says Burmy's not there, it sounds to me like a great candidate for headbutting. It seems like a lot of things go solely on what Serebii's discovered thus far.

I know I'm not going to type a single letter until everything's wrapped up.

Omega
09-16-2009, 04:56 PM

Even so, we should probably wait until everything's confirmed. For example, there are quite a few who are "currently unknown", and while it says Burmy's not there, it sounds to me like a great candidate for headbutting. It seems like a lot of things go solely on what Serebii's discovered thus far.

I know I'm not going to type a single letter until everything's wrapped up.

thats a smart idea but still none the less why not catch burmy on pearl or diamond and just trade it over because chances are it might not be in either HG/SS

Slowflake
09-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Because headbutting is just so much more convenient than honey trees. The only reason why you'd go with DPP for Pokémon available in both ways, is because you want to abuse the Combee gender rerolling trick, and are expecting to find some other stuff in the meantime.

bobo_dude16
09-16-2009, 07:36 PM
So should I trust bulbapedia? It seems a little unreliable..

pkGamerB
09-16-2009, 07:40 PM
From my experience, it's pretty accurate. I'd still wait a week or two and see if any new HG/SS locations come out. For the other versions, you should be fine though. _ld_

the1stpkmnfan
09-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Yeah, Im gonna hold off on HGSS. I think Ill do those games last and start with the games we've had longer really.

Ashigaru
09-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Do they have a formatting preference? I was simply preparing a list of "In this game, you should aim to catch these pokemon," but if they want a full-blown step-by-step guide, then I'll have to do some rewriting...quite a bit of rewriting.

Slowflake
09-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Serebii says he's been working on encounter lists, so you should expect the full rundown soon. He also said Burmy was found on trees only accessible through a Rock Climb cliff, on route 38.

bobo_dude16
09-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Do they have a formatting preference? I was simply preparing a list of "In this game, you should aim to catch these pokemon," but if they want a full-blown step-by-step guide, then I'll have to do some rewriting...quite a bit of rewriting.
They need to get the location of all of the pokemon

Slowflake
09-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Okay, Serebii's Pokédex has been updated with everything BUT the Safari Zone, headbutts, and the Bug-Catching Contest. They should be expected sometime this weekend, along with a Pokéearth update. So we can start dissecting everything soon!

bobo_dude16
09-18-2009, 03:36 PM
I have about 1/5 of my list done! how about you all? (pokemon 150)

the1stpkmnfan
09-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Once Im done with my marathon, Im gonna work out finishing FR and LG. I cant wait to have that 1/6 complete. XD

Slowflake
09-18-2009, 05:25 PM
You're doing it by game and not by Pokémon? That doesn't sound quite right somehow...

Omega
09-18-2009, 08:56 PM
You're doing it by game and not by Pokémon? That doesn't sound quite right somehow...

that just seems like you'd get confused way too easily, i think by pokemon would be alot better to be honest

Sonic62
09-19-2009, 12:09 AM
If I were to make a list it would be by game too.

TheSpeedGamers
09-19-2009, 02:14 AM
You wont need to list where to get the pokemon from. For example, you dont need to put anything like Pikachu (route 33). All we need is a list for each game of which pokemon we should catch for that specific games. All the lists combined should add up to 493.

Slowflake
09-19-2009, 05:40 AM

But then you'd have to have figured out which game is best for each Pokémon before that, which amounts to doing it by Pokémon anyway. You can't just take into account the fact that the Pokémon's available, then put it into a game just because it is. For example, Tauros is a pain to catch in FRLG and Pearl, easier but still annoying in Diamond, and a common sight on route 48 in HGSS. Ruling the other games out beforehand is a much better idea, and amounts to doing it by Pokémon.

DrewStern
09-19-2009, 05:55 AM
He has a point, if you were the gamer, would you like a personal list, or a list of 493?

bobo_dude16
09-19-2009, 06:27 AM
Crud, I have put in about 10 hours on this listing where to catch EVERY pokemon >.< Guess back to step 1

EDIT: before I do, is this ok? (this is what I did)

Pokémon | Game(s) | Area

I also put it on a table thing

Slowflake
09-19-2009, 07:19 AM
What I meant wasn't the list to send to Britt, but rather how you build it in the first place. In fact it would probably be better to send the list by game to Britt, however just saying, this game will catch this and this without looking at the difficulty level for each Pokémon in each game isn't the best idea.

Edit: Just a reminder about Dusk Balls: when the Pokémon's in the red and asleep, they're a guaranteed catch on everything with a catch rate of 40 or more. So those tough to catch Pokémon might be best left for DPP and HGSS.

Scruff
09-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Yeah, it makes sense to list all the Pokemon so you can see which games they show up most in are, but then you don't need to write a list in Pokemon order, since on sites like Bulbapedia you can compare which games they show up in the most on their page. I guess I should just start writing the list that way then. :?

Slowflake
09-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Well, maybe not the most, but at least the most convenient. I imagine the Safari Zones are going to be avoided as much as humanly possible, for one.

Scruff
09-19-2009, 03:23 PM
I bet they are, I mean, the point of Safari zones are to catch pokemon without using your own which doesn't make it any easier. How is that supposed to work anyways? :?

Slowflake
09-19-2009, 05:04 PM
With balls that are only as good as Great Balls, no less.

Sonic62
09-20-2009, 12:21 AM

But then you'd have to have figured out which game is best for each Pokémon before that, which amounts to doing it by Pokémon anyway. You can't just take into account the fact that the Pokémon's available, then put it into a game just because it is. For example, Tauros is a pain to catch in FRLG and Pearl, easier but still annoying in Diamond, and a common sight on route 48 in HGSS. Ruling the other games out beforehand is a much better idea, and amounts to doing it by Pokémon.
Clearly when I say list by game, I mean the one that they will use during the marathon. In the process of making it, I would have already taken into account which Pokémon is best caught where.

Slowflake
09-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Oh, I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

KatTheBard
09-20-2009, 08:53 AM
The first thing I'm going to do is make a preliminary checklist in Excel that looks sorta like this. (this is the EXTREMELY condensed version, obviously)

pkmn|R|S|E|FR|LG....|SS

and then indicate if they are available in each version, then determine relative ease of catching, then make the checklist by game. Hopefully that's somewhat right and it helps you guys as well!

Scruff
09-20-2009, 10:31 AM
The first thing I'm going to do is make a preliminary checklist in Excel that looks sorta like this. (this is the EXTREMELY condensed version, obviously)

pkmn|R|S|E|FR|LG....|SS

and then indicate if they are available in each version, then determine relative ease of catching, then make the checklist by game. Hopefully that's somewhat right and it helps you guys as well!
So you're narrowing it down? That sounds like more work than it has to be.

the1stpkmnfan
09-20-2009, 11:34 AM
This is how I'm thinking of making my lists for each game, so that brings it up to 10 lists. Then I would compile them in a file or whatever:

Pokemon FireRed Version

Kanto Pokemon - 001-151

Pokemon | Obtain/Requirement
001. Bulbasaur (Trade one to the opposite version, LeafGreen, and begin new game with a different starter)
002. Ivysaur (Evolve Bulbasaur to Lv. 16)
004. Charmander (Trade one to the opposite version, LeafGreen, and begin new game with a different starter)
007. Squirtle (Trade one to the opposite version, LeafGreen, and begin new game with a different starter)
010. Caterpie (Catch in the Viridian Forest)
011. Metapod (Evolve Caterpie to Lv. 7)
012. Butterfree (Evolve Metapod to Lv. 10)

Scruff
09-20-2009, 11:36 AM
:o That's exactly how I'm doing my list!

the1stpkmnfan
09-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Plus, I'm giving mine some color coding to hopefully make it look extra appealing. :P

Scruff
09-20-2009, 11:43 AM
It`s going to matter on style then. 8-)

You also should remember that even if a pokemon is common in say Firered and Leafgreen, it might only be common in one of those two versions.

the1stpkmnfan
09-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Ill make sure to check that out. And yeah, if one pokemon only appears in one of the versions between the two, its going on that one list.

bobo_dude16
09-20-2009, 11:49 AM
So it is ok if we just list all of the pokemon in one group and not group them by games?

Scruff
09-20-2009, 11:52 AM
So it is ok if we just list all of the pokemon in one group and not group them by games?
My guess is yes it is alright, though it's probably easier to read and organize if you split it up for each game.

Slowflake
09-20-2009, 03:43 PM
I've always been under the impression that you had to catch the uber you chose in the HGSS Arceus event, but it turns out it's given to you! After a cutscene that never ends, mind you, but still much shorter and easier than getting them in DPP. Of course, getting Giratina out of the way in this fashion is the best thing to do because of the lower catch rate, but I also recommend Dialga for the other version. After all, you can get these before the first gym, and Dialga's typing is a godsend when it comes to helping get through the game.

Ashigaru
09-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Should we designate one of the games to be the one on which everything's compiled? When I was going through to revise it, it occurred to me that it doesn't make much sense to (for example) evolve up Wigglytuff on one game (let's just say Diamond) and Clefable on another (Pearl) if you'll then have to consolidate them anyways...if you didn't have Jigglypuff on Pearl, you'd have to redo it there.

Sonic62
09-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Diamond was used last time. Don't know if it'll be the same this year.

Slowflake
09-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Got some good news and some bad news.

Good news: Zangoose and Lunatone are in HGSS, meaning either Ruby or Sapphire could be replaced with Emerald with no consequences.

Bad news: It doesn't mean it's a good idea, though. They're in the Safari Zone, which should be avoided as much as humanly possible. Plus, the uber of the version that would be dropped would have to be caught 25 levels higher. That still means that should the deluxe versions be played, it'd have to be on top of the others, not as replacements.

Ashigaru
09-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Does anyone recall their FR/LG spending habits from last year? Whether or not I call in Platinum hinges on a single pokemon...I hate to do that, but it's oh so tempting.

Mattman324
09-24-2009, 07:10 AM
I am currently constructing a list, based on a large ammount of data... and I had some ideas about starter trading.

In FR/LG, Squirtle can easily go through the entire game by himself, with massive EXP ammounts to share (a Blastoise only run ended defeating the second E4 at level 99... but I could have done it around 60.) Therefore, Charmander and Bulbasaur should be put together. The same should be done for Ruby and Saphire/Diamond and Pearl, but replace "Squirtle" with "Torchic/Chimchar". Heart Gold and Soul Silver are diferent, because while Totodile is the best starter by far, Gyarados outdoes it, meaning Cyndaquil should be best... but then, why use Gyara if it doesn't evolve?

My brain hurts...

Slowflake
09-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Let me answer that question for you. While this is, indeed, the best course of action for a speed run, this is NOT a speed run where they try and blaze through the game in the shortest time. Of course, unlocking areas with higher-leveled wild Pokémon quickly helps for grinding all those armies of Pokémon, but they could beat the E4 on Sunday morning for all we care. The focus is on catching all the Pokémon.

Besides, they have only one chance at doing everything. In speed runs you can always restart if things go south. Not here. That's why building a well-balanced team really helps. And besides, leveling up more Pokémon to fight means they too get crossed off of the checklist without even having to spend a minute grinding them on Victory Road or Mt. Silver or Sky Pillar or wherever.

Here's what I do personally, and what I think could be done in the marathon: plan a team of six Pokémon to fight the E4, raise them, and not bother with anything else (unless they're grinding Pokémon they'll never use to evolve them, which is one of the special circumstances of this marathon). That means, if you want to use one of the pixies on your final team, don't bother with Alakazam or Gardevoir if you plan on ditching them before the E4. I've seen quite a few people use the Luxray line early on, to ditch them when they reach Canalave, which is where it begins to fall apart. Well, all that experience Luxray got is gone, and the remaining team members might've liked it.

But that's just my opinion, anyway. What it all boils down to is one simple, yet major, detail: this is not a speed run.

Mattman324
09-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Let me answer that question for you. While this is, indeed, the best course of action for a speed run, this is NOT a speed run where they try and blaze through the game in the shortest time. Of course, unlocking areas with higher-leveled wild Pokémon quickly helps for grinding all those armies of Pokémon, but they could beat the E4 on Sunday morning for all we care. The focus is on catching all the Pokémon.

Besides, they have only one chance at doing everything. In speed runs you can always restart if things go south. Not here. That's why building a well-balanced team really helps. And besides, leveling up more Pokémon to fight means they too get crossed off of the checklist without even having to spend a minute grinding them on Victory Road or Mt. Silver or Sky Pillar or wherever.

Here's what I do personally, and what I think could be done in the marathon: plan a team of six Pokémon to fight the E4, raise them, and not bother with anything else (unless they're grinding Pokémon they'll never use to evolve them, which is one of the special circumstances of this marathon). That means, if you want to use one of the pixies on your final team, don't bother with Alakazam or Gardevoir if you plan on ditching them before the E4. I've seen quite a few people use the Luxray line early on, to ditch them when they reach Canalave, which is where it begins to fall apart. Well, all that experience Luxray got is gone, and the remaining team members might've liked it.

But that's just my opinion, anyway. What it all boils down to is one simple, yet major, detail: this is not a speed run.

That's not what I ment. If, say Blastoise ends up being able to get through the second E4 at around level 60, and it can get to level 99 easily WITHOUT WILD POKEMON, then you can shave off all of that extra experiance on, say, Parasect or something else to catch wild pokemon. Therefore, Blastoise can get the team that catches more.

However, Charizard and Venusaur require more support, so they should be in the same game. I mean, in you're Red LP (not exactly FR... but Venusaur and Charmander are better) you hardly used Venusaur in the Elite four. You used Gengar and Alakazam, and the legendary birds. The starters will be 2nd most hard thing to do IF we choose not to use them, because they evolve in the thirties in level, and are obtained below level 5. The demi-legends can be caught at a higher level (expecially Garchomp), and Legendaries, when spread between a potential 10 games, aren't TO TERRIBLY hard. The hardest, without a doubt in my mind, is going to be Metagross. You get it at a low level, it takes HORENDOUSLY long times to level up, and stinks until level 20.

The point of this is not to be a speedrun, but to be quick, so as to catch and raise many pokemon.

Oh, and I've finished the first 151 on my checklist.

Scruff
09-24-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about that though, since Britt said he just needed to know which game they should catch each pokemon in, I'm pretty sure they'll figure out teams and stuff like that themselves.

Slowflake
09-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Okay, I apologize for that misunderstanding. I really thought you were suggesting a Blastoise solo run.

Anyway, I checked for fun what could be done with the 600ers to keep their grinding to a minimum, and it seems Dragonair can be found in the Dragon's Den (3% chance of appearing with the Super Rod), BUT all of them are at level 40. There are also wild Pupitars on the third floor of Mt. Silver (5% chance of appearing), and they're level 45. Bagon's only in Meteor Falls, and comes at levels 25-35. Gabites that evolve almost instantly can be found in Victory Road, BUT only in Platinum, which isn't likely to be played... other than that, the best you can do is a level 15-17 Gible from Wayward Cave. Ouch. Not quite as bad as Beldum, though. Sure, if you get one in DPP you can get it to Metagross in two levels, but it's a swarm in a sandstorm route and with a catch rate of 3.

Still, just those five lines is going to be a lot of effort no matter how you slice it. At the very least some Pokémon can gain levels while searching for Dragonair and Pupitar... it seems that all the easy options are in games that aren't being played (Platinum for Garchomp, Colosseum for Tyranitar and Metagross, XD for Dragonite and Salamence).

Mattman324
09-24-2009, 07:09 PM
It's OK Slowflake, I don't expect omnipitance. Just compitence (and you are VERY competent, unlike some noobs I know...) and understanding.

You know, while I'm posting, why don't I make a threat list?

LEGENDS: All are threatening and run breaking. Specifically, the runners.
BELDUM: Obtained at a low level, or found in a swarm with a catch rate of 3. And it's a steel type in a sandstorm. Ow.
FEEBAS!:The threat was so big, I needed an exclamation mark and a bold. It is nigh on impossible to get Feebas in the new generation, and if you get it in the old one, you need some of the best pokeblocks there are. Once, I knew a way to get -natures into a Milotic without the best berries, but I've forgotten...
Starters: Low level threat. Should easily be handled.
Leutenant Surge's gym: I've heard of perfect speedruns broken because this thing is random. However, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes.
Sky Pillar: Whomever catches Rayquaza should do so on the GBA, not the TV. Should be fine otherwise.
D/P fossils: Again, random. If only I could be the one mining... my friend let me borrow Platinum (since I don't even have a DS to play it on), and I found large speres, at least one of most of the plates, and a few fossils... couple of stones as well.

Maybe one or two I'm missing?

Slowflake
09-25-2009, 05:37 AM
Feebas and Milotic are probably more dangerous than all of them combined, I think. If they can get these two, they can get them all. As I've said before, they should obviously be caught in RSE where they're more common, but evolving them is another problem. They'll need to harvest Wiki or Pamtre berries in advance, and those aren't exactly the easiest berries to find - unless Wikis are bought in bulk in Platinum. Another problem which would be solved by a game that's not being played... (Speaking of which, Surskit wouldn't be an issue at all in Platinum either)

Mattman324
09-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Oops, how could I forget that? I'll edit that post for them. And, you might be right about surskit.

Maybe I should add trade evos. How easy would you say trading is on the DS? I haven't gotten to know, and that MASSIVELY alters the list.

TheSpeedGamers
09-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Edit:
I found last years checklist that we used. This is a perfect example of how the checklist should be made. Keep in mind Pokemon HG and SS are available to us now and that is why we are wanting a new checklist.

Slowflake
09-25-2009, 08:17 AM
I'm not even worried about these. Wireless, Wi-Fi, doesn't really matter. And for the GBA games, I imagine that they're gonna have link cables.

Speaking of trade evos, one thing to keep in mind, since Platinum isn't going to be played, is that Electirizers are much easier to find in Diamond, whereas Magmarizers are easier to find in Pearl. In Platinum they're just lying around, but in the other two you have no choice, you must steal them.

09-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Edit:

Darn economy i can't download the checklist ;.;
*kicks the RAR file*

Slowflake
09-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Hmm, those are some nice lists there. I tried to find out who was in charge of Feebas last year out of curiosity, and it was PEARL? Tsk tsk tsk. No wonder no attempt was even made in that department.

Ashigaru
09-25-2009, 06:59 PM
If nothing else, it gives you formatting. I am *so* not looking forward to assigning Feebas...you can bet the game that doesn't draw that is getting extra work to make up for it.

Slowflake
09-25-2009, 07:36 PM
It's going to be either Ruby or Sapphire anyway, just flip a coin. Milotic, on the other hand, is a different animal... you can only get Wiki berries in R/S from a girl on route 120, and only if your trainer ID ends in 1 or 6. Pamtre berries aren't much better... you need to have beaten the E4, then go to the Berry Master's wife on route 123 and say "Challenge Contest" to get one. D/P has it easier: Wikis can be found lying around on routes 210 and 215, before the third gym. Pamtres are obtained via Amity Square, which isn't an appealing option. So the best thing to do is to have Ruby or Sapphire catch Feebas, and Diamond or Pearl to start harvesting Wikis ASAP until they've got like 20 of them (just to be on the safe side), make Pokéblocks out of them, Pal Park the fish and evolve it.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's worth noting that once a Feebas tile is found, that the player should catch two or three Feebasses, just in case the first one has a -SA nature, which makes it nearly impossible to evolve.

Tachyon
09-25-2009, 07:48 PM
I have created a .zip for the checklist, for all who dont have winrar

(Tell me if there any problems)
[attachment=0:35ufad9m]check_list.zip[/attachment:35ufad9m]

the1stpkmnfan
09-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I havent been working on my lists since day one of this thread. >< Homework and theater have been taking the hours away from me. Hopefully sunday I can work on getting FR and LG done.

Sonic62
09-25-2009, 11:47 PM
I have created a .zip for the checklist, for all who dont have winrar

(Tell me if there any problems)
[attachment=0:1axrocy6]check_list.zip[/attachment:1axrocy6]
That's very nice and handy of you, thanks! :D

pikminsquad2148
09-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Edit:

How do we open up rar file?

I tired opening it up in Microsoft Word and it came out all weird looking. Q_Q

Slowflake
09-27-2009, 12:50 PM
...with WinRAR?

Gwellin
09-27-2009, 01:09 PM
...with WinRAR?
I suggest 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org/).

Sonic62
09-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Edit:

How do we open up rar file?

I tired opening it up in Microsoft Word and it came out all weird looking. Q_Q
Or you can use the zip file Easy provided.

the1stpkmnfan
09-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Finally! Just want to make a small update, my FireRed and LeafGreen lists are nearly complete. I suppose I could add the location to all of them, but I just wanted to add in the important key notes to certain Pokemon. Which I've done by far. I think Im good with 2/10 right now. Hopefully next weekend I can start on RSE and see how that goes.

Mattman324
09-28-2009, 09:06 AM
I've still only got up to 151... but I'm finished with a lot of things. Maybe we won't need emerald and platinum... but then we'd have to handle a lot of things harder. Hmm... if I can come up with a good reason for Platinum (likely will, cause of Milotic, Surskit, and Garchomp) it's going on, but I don't think we're using Emerald.

Slowflake
09-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Don't forget Electivire, as well. If push comes to shove Magmortar could be handled by HGSS, since the Magmarizer's on Cinnabar Island (presumably in one of those Rock Climb areas), but the Electirizer's in Cerulean Cave, and I'm going to go out on a limb and suppose you need to have beaten Red to go there. Otherwise, with no Platinum, the only way will be to steal one from an Elekid in Diamond (or catch a few Elekids, maybe three or four, if that's more convenient). With FR in the GBA slot, just to hog time on two games instead of one.

Regigigas and Heatran would also be considerably easier in Platinum, since their levels are much lower than in D/P.

the1stpkmnfan
09-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Wooho! Today I finished up pretty much my Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald lists. Along with my FRLG lists, that's 5/10 complete. I'm halfway there. :D Wow, Im really picking up my pace. Next up will be DDPt for me, and Ill see how that goes.

Mattman324
09-29-2009, 05:53 AM
Hey guys, I'm here for an IMPORTANT NEWS BRODCAST! What is it? The HG/SS Pickup items have been confirmed, and at level 31-59, you can get a... wait for it... LUCKY EGG! We'll probly keep a Phanphy, Meowth, or Teddyursa in the Daycare just to get them to that level, cause a lucky egg can cut down on times by A LOT.

EDIT: Oh, and with the almost-unlimited apricorns, I think it's safe to say that Milotic could easily be handled by HG/SS. Yet another reason why not to use Platinum.

Ashigaru
09-29-2009, 08:37 AM
By my calculations, there will be an extra Masterball available for Heatran or Regigigas. And the thing I was thinking about using Platinum for was Porygon, unless there'll be enough money saved up to buy it on Leaf Green.

Oh, and it would also get you your last Eevee without having to breed.

TheSpeedGamers
09-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Just remember we are trying to keep the games to a minimum. For example, if you're adding a game just for a few additional for Pkmn, that probably wouldn't be the most efficient stratgey, especially if you have to beat the game in order to get those Pkmn. That would add an additional 15-20 hours just to take complete the story line.

Ashigaru
09-29-2009, 09:38 AM
I know, and I'm trying to avoid it. Since I now also see that Porygon can be bought in HGSS, I suppose it's more likely that you'd have the cash on hand there to buy the coins in Celadon. But the alternatives are Trophy Garden in D/P post-National (unreliable), buying in LG (only 6500 coins, but less cash on hand), buying in HGSS (cost unknown, but you'll have the entire Johto bankroll at your disposal), or advancing to Veilstone in Platinum. How much does Porygon cost in HGSS anyway?

Shiron
09-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Porygon's 9999 coins, in HGSS, I believe.

Mattman324
09-29-2009, 01:38 PM
9999 coins, just like in the first generation. And it is safe to say that there is just about no good reason to use Emerald. Platinum might have a reason, but Emerald? Nope.

Slowflake
09-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Yeah, but the problem is that there's no Vs. Seeker in HGSS, either. So unlimited cash? Doesn't look like it.

As for the apricorns... what does this have to do with evolving Feebas? It needs beauty to do so, and apricorns don't do anything there. AFAIK Milotic is unobtainable in HGSS.

Oh, and the Lucky Egg... 1% chance of finding one, and that's only if Pickup even triggers (25% chance). So it's actually a 0.25% chance of finding a Lucky Egg, that's once every 400 battles. And that's if you grind only one Pokémon to level 41... sure, it goes down to 200, 133, 100, 80 and 67 with more Pokémon, but grinding SIX Pokémon to level 41 to find a Lucky Egg in a reasonable of time is not all that reasonable. Trading those 600ers to another game to evolve them might be a much better idea.

the1stpkmnfan
09-29-2009, 05:26 PM
If I recall correctly, FireRed is showing Porygon at a sale of 6000 pokes.

Slowflake
09-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Porygon's 6500 in LG, and 9999 in FR. This makes LG the clearly superior choice, with the presence of the Vs. Seeker and an awesome moneymaking spot near Five Island.

the1stpkmnfan
09-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Oh yeah, that's right. I knew to note that out on my lists for FRLG. Porygon obviously went in my LG list.

Mattman324
09-30-2009, 06:51 AM
As for the apricorns... what does this have to do with evolving Feebas? It needs beauty to do so, and apricorns don't do anything there. AFAIK Milotic is unobtainable in HGSS.

WRONG! The Apricorns ALSO raise ONE beuty stat each, via shakes. Black and White are useless, but the other ones all raise one contest factor. Meaning Milotic IS avalable in HG/SS.

Sonic62
09-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Says here the Apricorn Juice raises Pokéthlon stats.
http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsil ... orns.shtml (http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/apricorns.shtml)

Mattman324
09-30-2009, 12:59 PM
But if you notice, there are flavors to each one. I could be wrong, but maybe if we raise... *looks at page* the Technique of Feebas, then it will evolve. Could someone test this?

Sonic62
09-30-2009, 01:15 PM
The flavors are there for the same reason they are for other things like Poffin. It just raises something else; Pokéthlon stats.

Ashigaru
09-30-2009, 05:57 PM
I guess it would make more sense to send LG to the Seven Islands instead of FR, wouldn't it...

the1stpkmnfan
09-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Just got through with my DPPt lists just now. So that brings me to 8/10 done. Probably not the best detailed, now that I look at them, but Ill be sure to edit before I send in.

Slowflake
10-01-2009, 05:35 AM
I don't think raising Feebas' technique will work, for one simple reason: regardless of how you cut it, it starts out at max, or close to max. The idea is that Feebas' max Technique is one star. Now, I know nothing about where the stats begin or how quickly they grow with the shakes, but if they start at one star Feebas' Technique can't be increased right off the bat. If it starts at zero and you only need one shake to get a star, that would mean feeding Feebas just one single shake would evolve it. And even if it takes more than one shake, it still starts too close to max, and it wouldn't take too many shakes to evolve it no matter how you look at it.

So I'm fairly certain shakes have nothing to do with Feebas' evolution.

Ashigaru
10-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Well...I guess if all else fails, they can have a Platinum game pre-loaded with monies at Veilstone for the sole purpose of feeding it Poffins.

Slowflake
10-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Wiki Berries are fairly easy to come across in D/P, though. It's just that growing them will be slightly tedious, even if it's not too time-consuming. Catching Feebas will be a lot more complicated, if they can get one (that doesn't have a -SA nature, that is), they'll be in the clear.

Edit, October 3: It's confirmed, Cerulean Cave requires beating Blue, not Red. I'm not expecting this to change anything, since Mewtwo's best caught in FRLG anyway, but that's just so you know. So the only things that do require Red are the gen 1 and 3 starters, and the weather trio.

pikminsquad2148
10-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I have yet to work on Gen II. I really got to stop putting it off. @.@

Can someone please tell me if Im doing this correctly?
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JEJNJZXT
sorry i couldn't upload the file here but the exetension .doc is not allowed. @.@)

the1stpkmnfan
10-03-2009, 10:16 PM
I am DONE DONE DONE with all 10 of my lists. But, I dont believe I'm ready to send it all in yet. First, gotta make some edits and add some clarification just in case. Once that's taken care of, Im ready to enter. :D

Jran Sakarra
10-07-2009, 03:01 PM
With HG/SS more Pokemon will be available to get.
Also I have a LEGIT Japanese Areus I can trade to you guys.
It starts the event in HG/SS that allowa you to get a Lv.1 Dialga, Palkia, or Giratina.
If you guys want it let me know.

Slowflake
10-07-2009, 07:23 PM
I think everything's been covered already, but don't quote me on that.

the1stpkmnfan
10-07-2009, 07:26 PM
I think I've already posted a few months ago we've pretty much got all Legendaries covered, especially the ones that have an event. I believe Britt has already accepted my Movie 12 Arceus. Just have to mail him my Ja. Platinum.

Jran Sakarra
10-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I think I've already posted a few months ago we've pretty much got all Legendaries covered, especially the ones that have an event. I believe Britt has already accepted my Movie 12 Arceus. Just have to mail him my Ja. Platinum.
Why not Wifi it over?

the1stpkmnfan
10-08-2009, 03:52 PM
I believe the rules for the Pokemon marathon were not to trade with others outside of the house. So, instead (IIRC), donating the cartridge with the event Pokemon is the best next thing.

Sonic62
10-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Why not Wifi it over?
*Drops giant rule book*

1. No outside trading
2. Raise money for good cause
3. Gengar is pure ghost :P

Jran Sakarra
10-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Okay that makes sense.

Slowflake
10-11-2009, 06:14 PM
After doing some research, I found out that only two lines were only accessible through Safari Zones, those being Skorupi and Croagunk. And unfortunately, they're extra painful, as they're either binocular Pokémon in DPP, or require items in HGSS (Skorupi's been found with rocky items in the Saharah sector, and Croagunk may be obtainable with leveled-up items, which is a no-no).

But the rest can, and should, be obtained elsewhere... keep that in mind!

Shiron
10-11-2009, 06:21 PM
After doing some research, I found out that only two lines were only accessible through Safari Zones, those being Skorupi and Croagunk. And unfortunately, they're extra painful, as they're either binocular Pokémon in DPP, or require items in HGSS (Skorupi's been found with rocky items in the Saharah sector, and Croagunk may be obtainable with leveled-up items, which is a no-no).

But the rest can, and should, be obtained elsewhere... keep that in mind!
Hmm, perhaps that provides another reason to use Platinum then (in addition to stuff like getting an easy Porygon), as Croagunk can be caught in the route west of Pastoria in it. I've tested that myself and know it to be true. For some reason though, Serebii doesn't mention that on Croagunk's main page, but does on it's detailed locations page:
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/locat ... l#platinum (http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/location/453.shtml#platinum)

That would leave it down to just the Skorupi family that's needed to be caught in a Safari Zone, which is very nice (though of course it would have been even nicer if we didn't have to go there at all).

Slowflake
10-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Yeah, but Britt's adamant (+Atk, -SA, good choice!) on keeping it to eight games and players, and neither Diamond nor Pearl can be shafted for Platinum, no thanks to Glameow and Stunky.

TheSpeedGamers
10-15-2009, 11:03 AM
I believe the rules for the Pokemon marathon were not to trade with others outside of the house. So, instead (IIRC), donating the cartridge with the event Pokemon is the best next thing.

I think since this an event pokemon, it will be fine for you to send the ARceus over wifi, and it will save you some trouble.

the1stpkmnfan
10-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Don't see any harm in that, alrighy Britt. I guess I'll chat with you later about that then.

Also, about my list... uh, Im not sure If Im up for submitting them in anymore. It's just that it's pretty confusing sometimes in each lists, to be honest. xD But, if I want to, Ill go ahead and send it in. So long I might find the time to edit them. :?

Slowflake
10-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Hey, no one said it'd be easy ;) Optimizing performance is bound to make things messy at times, and that was enough to discourage me from doing a list of my own.

Blaumagier
10-17-2009, 11:31 AM
I think I would like to suggest a check list, but what I personally think to be the fastest way to catch them all with the least number of games possible is not possible without Colosseum and XD due to the fact that those with those two games you can get all of the GBA pokemon, minus event only pokemon, with only one Kanto game and Emerald, and HG/SS wouldn't be necessary at all.

I suppose you guys must be frustrated over Colosseum's Ho-oh and just want to play HG/SS during the marathon anyways since its new, though.

Ashigaru
10-19-2009, 03:28 PM
How do we submit our lists once they're complete?

TheSpeedGamers
10-19-2009, 04:29 PM
How do we submit our lists once they're complete?
You can post it here, or email me at Britt@TheSpeedGamers.com

Slowflake
10-19-2009, 06:25 PM
I'd personally recommend the latter, if only to avoid plagiarism.

Mattman324
10-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Good news everyone!

The pokewalker-only list has come out for HG-SS. I didn't think much about it at first, but then I reilised: Feebas and Spiritoum are on that list.

Someone's gonna have to bring jogging shoes to the marathon, methinks.

Slowflake
10-20-2009, 12:30 PM
I seriously doubt they'll use the Pokéwalker. Besides, the presence of these two has been known for weeks.

Snowy620
10-21-2009, 06:36 PM
If you guys want, I have an extra Darkrai I don't need.

Want it for the event?

Mattman324
10-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Oh my... they've ripped the Pal Park! Look at it, you can send as many pokemon as you like per day now!

That should speed up the endgame of HG/SS by a lot. Take the biggest, baddest legendarys from Ruby and Saphire, Fire Red and Leafgreen, and use them.

Maram123
11-01-2009, 09:24 PM
I wish I could help with this, but I don't know nearly enough about most of the games, so I'd just like to say good luck to those who want to take on this task!

SeriousKano
11-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Oh my... they've ripped the Pal Park! Look at it, you can send as many pokemon as you like per day now!
Is that a new thing? You could do that since D/P with a trick.

Shiron
11-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Is that a new thing? You could do that since D/P with a trick.
Yeah, but now you don't need to use the trick to do it, since the limit was removed, which is nice, especially for those who only have one GBA game and so couldn't use the trick. And it's still nice even if you can, since you don't have to keep switching between cartridges each time anymore.

SeriousKano
11-02-2009, 03:27 PM
I don't understand why they put the limit in there in the first place. It doesn't prevent you from trading all your Pokémon, they just delay it.

KatTheBard
11-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Ohh...I'm SO close to being done. I have it down to a grand total of five games to collect a large amount of Pokemon in, and actually beat (but the others can be run simultaneously, right?). But I keep coming up with a grand total larger than 493, and I dunno what I'm repeating. Bleh. I'm tired...

(hopefully I have it set up in a way that TSG can do....... ;w;)

mr-saturn
11-07-2009, 11:15 AM
well i forone have never been able to catch em all but im happy to see so many people trying :D

the1stpkmnfan
11-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Oh yeah, I havent sent mine in yet, so Ill send 'em in hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

KatTheBard
11-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Oh yeah, I havent sent mine in yet, so Ill send 'em in hopefully tonight or tomorrow.
I htought they were due Thursday :?

Ashigaru
11-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Well, they said they wanted the submissions in by Thursday. Whether or not they'll accept ones after is up to them.

the1stpkmnfan
11-07-2009, 09:34 PM
/facepalm

I forgot that it was Nov. 5 they wanted them in. I kept thinking it was till Nov. 9. >< Me Fail. Ah well, it wasnt the best set of lists anyway.

Sonic62
11-08-2009, 09:54 AM
They probably aren't going to be too overly strict on the date. Guess there's no harm in trying to send them in.

DrewStern
11-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Is the title like a puzzle or something? "Prize's" to be won

Mega_Mario
11-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Is the title like a puzzle or something? "Prize's" to be won
Um.... What? I think that is just informing people that the winning checklist to be used for the marathon will win a prize. Unless Britt had some type of cryptic message in it. o_O

DrewStern
11-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Is Prize's a person maybe...

Panda
11-08-2009, 04:20 PM
He was confused as to why "prizes" was spelled in the possessive form, "prize's".

Mega_Mario
11-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Is Prize's a person maybe...
I think it might just be a typo. -_-
A lot of people use an apostrophe "s" to show a word as plural even when not meant to show possession.

So, back on topic. I don't believe I read earlier, but will the winning checklist most likely be available for viewing?

Slowflake
11-08-2009, 08:31 PM
I was thinking about that just now, coincidentally. Yeah, I'd like to see it too.

KingBroly
11-11-2009, 11:41 PM
I had this crazy idea for a checklist, but I have neither the funds nor the willpower to make it. Basically, it'd be a giant white marker board with all the pictures and numbers of the Pokemon on it. And basically whenever a Pokemon was caught, you'd put a giant Poke-ball magnet over it.

But like I said, it's just an idea, and I'm not making it.

Ashigaru
12-03-2009, 10:38 AM
I wonder when they'll announce the winning checklists. I mean, we're only two weeks away...has anyone heard anything yet?

ditto493
12-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Any ideas on the winning checklist?

the1stpkmnfan
12-13-2009, 08:57 PM
I think well all know the winner once Friday arrives and at 6. :P

Sonic62
12-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Probably seen it already, but here it is again. http://www.thespeedgamers.com/prize-upd ... ist-winner (http://www.thespeedgamers.com/prize-update-3-and-checklist-winner)

Slowflake
12-14-2009, 04:53 PM
I wanna know who drew Feebas... knowing Phil's luck in marathons lately, it's gotta be him.

Haruka
12-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Sounds good, a decided checklist is decided. Not to mention new prizes..

TheSpeedGamers
12-14-2009, 05:00 PM
I wanna know who drew Feebas... knowing Phil's luck in marathons lately, it's gotta be him.

That would be Erik (Diamond) and Oscar (Pearl), whomever decides to tackle that task. It's listed fpr Ruby and Sapphire but they each have caught him before on D&P.

However, last year they caught him fairly fast.

Player list

Fire Red: Chugga
Leaf Green: Hoover
Soul Silver: Britt
Heart Gold: compilation of players
Ruby: Bud
Sapphire: Daniel
Diamond: Erik
Pearl: Oscar

the1stpkmnfan
12-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Lets just hope we do catch Feebas fast like last year. :P

The Gamers list looks excellent cant wait for everyone to start their games. :D hmmm...

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN... START YOUR VIDEOGAMES"

Maram123
12-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeah, the player list just gets me a bit more excited then the over-flowing pool of excitement already formed.

Sonic62
12-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Fun fact: I was planning on playing in this marathon, but alas...

Opario
12-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Fun fact: I was planning on playing in this marathon, but a lass...

Girl problems, eh? That's tough.

YalWerdna
12-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Fun fact: I was planning on playing in this marathon, but alas...
Aww, Sonic. Here's a heart to make you feel better. <33

Sonic62
12-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Fun fact: I was planning on playing in this marathon, but a lass...

Girl problems, eh? That's tough.
:lol: I see what you did there!

Slowflake
12-14-2009, 07:22 PM
I see. I'm surprised it's going to be caught in D/P, since it's found in four tiles out of 800 instead of six out of 400 (not to mention, tiles are easier to keep track of in RSE), but hey, if they're competent hunters, I say go for it.

Ashigaru
12-14-2009, 09:11 PM
If they want to take on some self-inflicted punishment, more power to them. But, as noted, it had been assigned to Ruby.

Maram123
12-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I'm sure they've come up with a good method, and I'm sure there's a reason to catch it in D/P. Chances are they've already practiced cathing most of the poekmon before hand, anyhow.

YalWerdna
12-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I'm sure they've come up with a good method, and I'm sure there's a reason to catch it in D/P. Chances are they've already practiced cathing most of the poekmon before hand, anyhow.
This is TheSpeedGamers, after all ;)

Sonic62
12-16-2009, 04:47 AM
Practicing luck sounds fun! :P

Slowflake
12-16-2009, 06:31 AM
To be fair, yes, practicing catching Pokémon is like practicing rolling a die. But there are some, like Feebas, that require something else than just chucking balls until it stays in.

Sonic62
12-16-2009, 02:07 PM
To be fair, yes, practicing catching Pokémon is like practicing rolling a die. But there are some, like Feebas, that require something else than just chucking balls until it stays in.
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing or not. I was referring to the luck of finding Feebas in the first place.

Maram123
12-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Haven't YOU every practiced luck before? >_><_< _dead_

Panda
12-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Haven't YOU every practiced luck before? >_><_< _dead_
You mean studying for my Wildlife Management class? Now THAT was a bundle of fun right there, let me tell ya... _dead_

cocowoushi
12-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Really curious how they're going to get Jirachi because I want to donate for his name! I hope I'm around for it.

Ashigaru
12-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Anything that's not catchable in-game was preloaded in. So it's probably not nameable.