PDA

View Full Version : [Movie] Zombieland

Rare Addict
10-03-2009, 07:03 PM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/RareAddict/ZombieLandPoster.jpg

Plot Synopsis:

”A cowardly shut-in named Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg) is forced to join up with a seasoned zombie slayer named Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson) in order to survive the zombie apocalypse. As Tallahassee sets out on a mission to find the last Twinkie on Earth, the duo meets up with Wichita (Emma Stone) and Little Rock (Abigail Breslin), two young girls who have resorted to some rather unorthodox methods to survive amidst the chaos. Reluctant partners in the battle against the undead, all four soon begin to wonder if it might be better to simply take their chances alone.”

Arguably one of the finest horror comedies of all time is Edgar Wright’s Shaun of the Dead, and since its release in ’04, there have been a good number of wannabes. Based on the trailers for Zombieland, however, I thought that the film had some serious potential to match Shaun in terms of quality, possibly even usurp it. Having seen the film, I’m happy to say that Zombieland does just that.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/RareAddict/ZombieLandPic1.jpg

Unlike many comedies in recent memory, in which the majority of laughs are already provided by the trailer, Zombieland is filled to the brim with laugh-out-loud moments, thanks largely to the brilliant cast. Eisenberg is awesome as the main protagonist, Columbus, portraying that sense of vulnerability and awkwardness, without becoming too Michael Cera-esque. Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin are also terrific as the sweet, yet tough Wichita and the more-mature-than-she-seems Little Rock, respectively. The real stand-out performance, though, is Woody Harrelson as the Twinkie-lovin’, zombie-hatin’ Tallahassee. Next to that of Woody Boyd on Cheers and Frasier, this is definitely the best performance of his career. There’s also a painfully hilarious cameo appearance about mid-way through the film that would be a crime to spoil. Suffice it to say, this is – hands-down – the best cameo that I’ve ever seen in a film.

The most surprising aspect of Zombieland, to me, is how much heart there is. All of the characters feel warm and alive, and what drama there is to be found feels extremely sincere. Ultimately, you feel invested in the story and the characters, which – I think – is the most important thing any film of any genre can do.

Zombieland has instantly become a horror favorite of mine (comedic or otherwise). The – for the lack of a better word – quotable dialogue, consistently hysterical tone, and endearing characters, all come together to create a film that will undoubtedly become a cult classic.

9.5/10

Marche100
10-04-2009, 04:17 PM
I just saw it today. Hilarious movie, it was one of the best zombie movies I've been to in a long time, and it didn't have to have gallons of blood caking all of the main characters and the zombies just to prove that. I reccomend it for anyone who loves zombie comedys or just comedys in general, because it's really a good watch.

Sonic62
10-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Great review as always. This is one movie I want to see.

kmmgreen5
10-10-2009, 12:33 AM
i saw that movie today and i have to say its the greatest movie i've seen all year

Marche100
10-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I went to a haunted house the other night and one of our favorite radio stations was set up there. We had a thing too so we got to get a free thing, and the thing that I immediatley saw and grabbed was a Zombieland hat. Just goes to show how much this movie can impact your decisions.

Wallace
10-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I haven't seen it. I want to, but I'm going to disagree with something you wrote. Cult Classic movies are usually movies that didn't make it big in the box office, but they obtain a following during the DVD release of the movie. I hate to nit pick (if you know me you know that's not true) but, I would say from what I have heard about the movie it will obtain classic status, not cult classic.

mac8936
10-20-2009, 12:46 AM
saw it a few days after it came out and i gotta say it was amazing

caramelslice
10-20-2009, 06:12 AM
I just got into Left 4 Dead recently, so when I saw ads for the movie, I wanted to see it. And I did get to see it several hours ago. It was very enjoyable :3

[spoiler:2egayvq0]For most of the movie, I was wondering, "where's the horde and machine gun?" And I finally got my horde and machine gun near the end XD[/spoiler:2egayvq0]

Dotcom
10-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I saw the movie during midnight release I thought it was really funny. Liked it so much saw it twice that night.

GrimsChild
10-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Ended up seeing this and UP today. Thats an experience I'm never going to forget.

Anyways, awesome movie. Can't really compare it with other zombie movies since the only other zombie movie I've seen is Shaun Of the Dead.

Oh yeah, the zombie kill of the week was awesome.

Marche100
10-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Can't really compare it with other zombie movies since the only other zombie movie I've seen is Shaun Of the Dead.

No worries, just rent Dawn of the Dead and you've seen the best 3 zombies movies in existance.

GrimsChild
10-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Can't really compare it with other zombie movies since the only other zombie movie I've seen is Shaun Of the Dead.

No worries, just rent Dawn of the Dead and you've seen the best 3 zombies movies in existance.

Original or Remake? Heard the remake wasn't too bad as far as remakes go.

Marche100
10-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Original or Remake? Heard the remake wasn't too bad as far as remakes go.

Actually, I didn't like the original as much, but it's still a good movie. I'd suggest picking up both, because both are revolutionary as far as zombie movies go. In the remake the zombies are fast, and I mean fast, which is far different from other zombies movies where they move like slugs.

dryuriev7777
10-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Awesome review!

I just saw this last night, and it was a lot better than what I expected. I went into the movie thinking it would be a complete bloodbath like every other zombie movie (not that there's anything wrong with watching a horrible death-fest for 2 hours) except Shaun. Suffice to say I was pleasantly surprised.

zach2m1
10-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Awesome review! I saw the movie last Friday and I have to say I loved it. One of the best movies I have seen in a while with out a doubt!

coolasj19
10-31-2009, 09:02 PM
oh yeah. just finished it last week. i LOVED it. comedy evenly strung throughout.

Ravasin
11-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Nicely done review.

I loved this movie. It was one of the best I've seen in a long time.

lazerlighting
12-20-2009, 07:38 PM
It was a hilarious movie which was followed by me watching Wall- E for the first time and about a week after I saw them I realized the irony of watching them back to back.

Great Review

kittycabaret
12-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Hysterical movis... I lol'd in the theater

lazerlighting
12-20-2009, 08:30 PM
If a zombie apocalypse actually did happen, I would probably look for Twinkies lol