PDA

View Full Version : [Movie] Where the Wild Things Are

Rare Addict
10-18-2009, 10:19 PM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/RareAddict/WildThingsPoster.jpg

Plot Synopsis:

”Misunderstood at home and at school, mischievous Max (Max Records) escapes to a land populated by majestic, and sometimes fierce, creatures known as the Wild Things. The Wild Things allow Max to become their leader, and he promises to create a kingdom where everyone will be happy. However, Max soon finds that being the king is not easy, and that his relationships with the Wild Things are much more complicated than he originally thought.”

Wow, what a tough film to review. Its main focus is certainly not of a grand adventure, with some moral that’s easily digested. With that said, this film isn’t for everyone. In fact, in order to get the most out of Where the Wild Things Are, you really have to put yourself in Max’s shoes. And if you can do that, then you’re in for one hell of an emotional rollercoaster ride.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa201/RareAddict/WildThingsPic1.jpg

The live actors in this film, of the virtually two that exist, are a perfect choice. Young Max Records as the film’s protagonist excelled in a way that, I think, no other child actor could. This kid carries the film for a good 90 minutes, proving to be both likable and relatable. As a friend of mine said, he’s “basically a stand in for your inner child and all those feelings that you thought you forgot.” Catherine Keener is also terrific as the mother, playing the part of the “everyday mom” just about perfectly.

The voice actors, too, are perfectly cast. James Gandolfini gives a powerful performance as Carol, ranging from kind and innocent to unpleasant and frightening. While all of the Wild Things are ids of Max’s imagination, it’s through Carol where Max views himself. However, as much as I hold Gandolfini’s performance in high regard, it’s Lauren Ambrose as KW who really stole the show; she’s the character everyone most wanted to love and be loved by.

As much as I love Where the Wild Things Are, I don’t think my feelings on the film will be fully understood until a second or third viewing. Again, this is not a straight-forward, easily digestable fantasy adventure. In fact, the closest thing that this film has to a weakness is its being – at least to some extent - more suited for adults than for children. Right now, this film stands as a 9.5/10 in my book, but much like the majority of my all-time favorite films, I can see Spike Jonze’s latest only getting better with age.

the1stpkmnfan
10-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Awesome review here Rare! :) Like I said before, Im dying to check out this movie.

Marche100
10-19-2009, 03:45 PM
I agree, this isn't as much of a children's film than an adult film. Of course, that won't stop thousands of parents across the country from bringing their kids to it, when I went to see it half the theater must have been kids under 10 years old. There was alot of 'scary' (to kids) parts in the movie, and a good bit of shouting in it, so that probably scared some kids out of their wits. Still, I wouldn't say that's as bad as to not see it, I think kids get more out of the film than adults. But, just a little caution when thinking about bringing 3 year olds to it would be advised. :x

Kylethedarkn
10-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Wonderful Movie. :P

Dotcom
10-19-2009, 04:58 PM
wasn't there like a short book about this I can't really remember if there was or not.

Kylethedarkn
10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
wasn't there like a short book about this I can't really remember if there was or not.
Yup there was. Used to have my Mom read that to me like every night when I was little.

Marche100
10-20-2009, 05:12 AM
Yup there was. Used to have my Mom read that to me like every night when I was little.

Wow, every night. I don't believe I was read it, or read it at all when I was little. A bunch of people in my school say that they remember reading it in 1st grade, but I don't believe that I did. I'm sorry to say I didn't. The only chance I got to was when I was in our local bookstore the other day and I saw it, so, knowing how short is, I just picked it up and read it right there on the spot.

irishwinger10
10-20-2009, 06:56 PM
argh i need to see this movie ive heard its amazing!!! I remember i used to have my parents read me this book all the time :)

Remino52
11-03-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't want to break the chain here, but I thought this movie was......decent. I felt somethings weren't elaborated enough.

Also, I REALLY don't like the plot. (Which is weird because I haven't read the book in ages.)

[spoiler:1jvpgwit]Max risks his life at least 3 times, makes everyone mad and goes home. All of this happens just because....his mom was doing her job, he doesn't like frozen corn, and he LIED. THE END[/spoiler:1jvpgwit]

Kylethedarkn
11-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Also, I REALLY don't like the plot. (Which is weird because I haven't read the book in ages.)
The plot really wasn't as important as what the actions symbolized. It was supposed to seem like a typical conflict at the beginning and through that showed the pure id of a young child and how he copes with it.

If you already got that and still didn't like it then oh well. XD However if you didn't pick up on that I recommend re-watching that and picking out the specifics. :P

Remino52
11-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Good point, well made.