PDA

View Full Version : Speech about The Speed Gamers

Blaumagier
10-27-2009, 09:06 PM
[note: If this is the wrong section for this, please help me out - I couldn't find one I thought fit better]

I already talked with Britt a little behind the scenes about a speech I am doing for my college speech class about The Speed Gamers. When I picked The Speed Gamers as my topic, I did so for two main reasons: 1. I know a lot about TSG and can easily talk about it for the required time frame and 2. I hope to be able to use this to promote TSG for those people in my class, but also people on the internet when I (eventually) post the video of my speech on my YouTube channel. I'm also going to give Britt a copy of the video (maybe it will show up on TSG replay if it's good enough? Who knows...)

Anyways, I got done doing my visual aids for my speech tonight, since I have to give the speech tomorrow. I already know that you guys won't be able to clearly see the visual aids from the video when I get it, and they are so well done that I decided to take pictures of them and upload them, as a small treat until I get the video of the speech.

I designed the layout for both posters as well as drew in the graphs, hunted down pictures, and typed up the printed text while my friend, Sarah, did all the coloring and creative control (she did such a fantastic job too!)

I'm not sure how long it will take to get the video of my speech, but given my teacher's snail-like pace at grading things, I will estimate at least 2-3 weeks.

Without further ado, here are the pictures of my visual aids:

[spoiler:3mnxmtoq]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/MysticShadow73/Random%20Junk/donationgraph.jpg[/spoiler:3mnxmtoq]

[spoiler:3mnxmtoq]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/MysticShadow73/Random%20Junk/gamecharitylist.jpg[/spoiler:3mnxmtoq]

EDIT: The speech is live now! It can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fglul40ftYI

Q&A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVct2h-EmBQ

gama-chan
10-27-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm still shocked whenever I see the FF marathon results :D and to see it in chart format is shocking still.
Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in this, I'm sure you'll do awesome!!

pkGamerB
10-27-2009, 09:15 PM
That's really cool, Blaumager. 8-) If you don't mind my asking, what class is this for?

the1stpkmnfan
10-27-2009, 09:16 PM
OMG Blau, that's seriously an amazing job. Just to let you know, I did my few current events on this back in 9th grade. So it's definitely good to get the word around like this. :)

Blaumagier
10-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

The class is Fundamentals of Oral Communication - SPH106 (or more commonly known as simply "Speech Class")

nmufred
10-27-2009, 09:24 PM
I love the visual aids Blumager! Something tells me that you have invested a TON of time into this. Good luck with your speech, I hope you get an A!

Sonic62
10-27-2009, 10:23 PM
That's really well done! I love how the FF marathon donations can't fit on the graph! :lol:

Nashzilla
10-27-2009, 10:44 PM
this is great...i'd love to see a speech transcript of this

DeaPGalaxy
10-28-2009, 03:38 AM
That's awesome Blau, you're putting a lot of effort into it! =D

Skeletor1991
10-28-2009, 05:28 AM
Very good work Blau! Very creative. :)

Koji45
10-28-2009, 07:33 AM
Awesome work Blaumager!!!
Love those visual aids! holy crap, I know the Final Fantasy marathon got so much, but it looks even more amazing in the chart form. |D

Good luck with you're speech!!

CommentatorGuy
10-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Ah, this is pretty awesome! I can't wait to hear the speech =)

Blaumagier
10-28-2009, 02:51 PM
The speech has been done! I'm not sure when I will get a copy of it, but I will give the teacher a DVD on Monday. I'm expecting the first class period after Thanksgiving is when I will get it.

I have decided that I will put my final speech outline up here due to the fact that I could not go through all my points due to time constraints. I had to cut out my last 2 points and the B. of my third point.

Here's the outline: http://ifile.it/3p7zs8j/tsgspeechfinaloutline.rtf

GoldGameMaster
10-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Wow can't wait to see this speech of yours. :D

nmufred
10-28-2009, 03:35 PM
The fact that your speech potentially was TOO long is usually a good thing, it means you know what you are talking about and have plenty of material to share :). I bet it was great, now it's all in how you delivered it to the class :).

Blaumagier
10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
I always suffer from what I call "William Shatner Syndrome" which causes me to have frequent awkward pauses when I'm thinking before I speak. I guess this is because I usually just say whatever comes to mind first and that thinking first is just so unnatural for me. I know I did this in my speech but it wasn't a nervousness or anything because it also happens in my casual talking when I stop to think. Also, I really didn't get a chance to practice my speech before I gave it because I had to study study study for my Federal Aviation Administration Oral & Practical for my Airframe Mechanic's Certification which was Monday and Tuesday this week, while the speech was today - so I was really thinking about what I was wanting to say the entire time.

I still did the absolute best I could, given the circumstances, and think I delivered it well enough.

ck14500
10-28-2009, 11:26 PM
wow looking at all the visuals you had, things looked really great, hopefully you did really well on the assignments and pull off an A!

AsherXII
10-29-2009, 04:39 AM
As everyone else has said, Blau, I can tell that you really put a lot of effort into this. Very nice job! I'm sure your presentation was awesome, I hope you get an A! :)

nmufred
10-29-2009, 04:57 AM
I always suffer from what I call "William Shatner Syndrome" which causes me to have frequent awkward pauses when I'm thinking before I speak. I guess this is because I usually just say whatever comes to mind first and that thinking first is just so unnatural for me. I know I did this in my speech but it wasn't a nervousness or anything because it also happens in my casual talking when I stop to think. Also, I really didn't get a chance to practice my speech before I gave it because I had to study study study for my Federal Aviation Administration Oral & Practical for my Airframe Mechanic's Certification which was Monday and Tuesday this week, while the speech was today - so I was really thinking about what I was wanting to say the entire time.

I still did the absolute best I could, given the circumstances, and think I delivered it well enough.

It sounds like you had your priorities straight when you did this. Good job on all of this, and hopefully you receive a good solid A!

pikminsquad2148
10-29-2009, 05:25 AM
You do deserve an A! You put alot of effort and work into this! Perhaps you could post your speech here. I'd love to read it sometime. :)

Blaumagier
10-29-2009, 05:34 AM
The outline is as close as you can get to reading my speech because I never wrote it out word for word, but the actual speech was recorded and I will have a video as soon as the teacher gets it back to me. I will post the video on my YouTube channel.

Blaumagier
12-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Good news everyone! I've got my video back and am getting ready to do whatever I need to upload it. Not sure if I've got to do any kind of conversions first, but when it is uploaded I will post the link in the first post. For those that are interested, here's the grading sheet (i made a 74, most of the point deduction was for taking too long though).

http://ifile.it/iry91m7/dropbox_files_view.doc

Note, the teacher was very demanding and particular about what she wants for the entire course, as such, I feel her grading was incredibly strict and don't agree with some of it (particularly the "average" score for the visual aids or her complaint of a lack of enthusiasm...)

TheSpeedGamers
12-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Good news everyone! I've got my video back and am getting ready to do whatever I need to upload it. Not sure if I've got to do any kind of conversions first, but when it is uploaded I will post the link in the first post. For those that are interested, here's the grading sheet (i made a 74, most of the point deduction was for taking too long though).

http://ifile.it/iry91m7/dropbox_files_view.doc

Note, the teacher was very demanding and particular about what she wants for the entire course, as such, I feel her grading was incredibly strict and don't agree with some of it (particularly the "average" score for the visual aids or her complaint of a lack of enthusiasm...)

I wish I could have been there to see it. I feel very honored that you did your presentation over us.

GoldGameMaster
12-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Considering its TSG you should have had 105%. Later i'll be sure to watch it.

Blaumagier
12-14-2009, 02:38 PM
I wish I could have been there to see it. I feel very honored that you did your presentation over us.

The good news there is that watching the video is practically like having been there. Although the last few sentences of my conclusion and I think the first question of my Q&A were cut off due to the camera's limitations.

I just hope that my speech did at least get some of those people to show up for the Resident Evil marathon and perhaps even sign up for the community and show up for the Pokemon marathon too.

Sonic62
12-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Considering its TSG you should have had 105%. Later i'll be sure to watch it.
In before over 9000% joke. ;)

Blaumagier
12-14-2009, 04:05 PM
The speech is uploaded. I'm uploading the Q&A portion right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fglul40ftYI

For those who are curious, the line that was cut off was "...or just to see to an awesome game's release outside of Japan. There will always be causes that need fighting for, and for now, The Speed Gamers are there for them."

The Q&A is up too now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVct2h-EmBQ

GoldGameMaster
12-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Thats was an epic speech. Makes me want to do something similar.

CommentatorGuy
12-14-2009, 05:24 PM
This speech was AWESOME! Wow very well written and very well spoken. You went above and beyond here Blaumager! Just freaking awesome!!!

Haruka
12-14-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm going to agree with pretty much everything Chase stated there, that speech was magnificent. Also, I loved the beginning with the hand raising, that was powerful and smart in my opinion, the subjects mentioned really seemed to affect many people there.

YalWerdna
12-14-2009, 05:38 PM
That was great, Blau! Now I've been inspired for my English class :D

Blaumagier
12-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Thank you, everyone, but the real credit goes to TSG. The Speed Gamers are the ones that came up with the idea of gaming for charities and are the ones orchestrating all this, it's them that deserves all the credit. All I did was try to spread the word.

About the hand raising, by the time I said diabetes, everyone in the room had their hands raised, and I would've too if I wasn't giving the speech. TSG is doing big things, big good things, that affect everyone I know and most of them don't even know it. Again, I am proud to be a part of this community.

Maram123
12-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Man, I almost forgot about this, I'm sure it'll be great, I'm going to watch it right now!

awesomedude
12-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Wow that was great! Nice job! It seemed like people were pretty interested. And I agree with Haruka, the thing in the beginning with the raising hands was a good idea. Got people involved with subjects that most of the had to deal with.

Aeronautical
12-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Oh wow! That's really really cool ^_^ I wish I could be that good of a speech giver o.o

mr-saturn
12-15-2009, 09:03 PM
awesome job i would have never thought of this!

Blaumagier
12-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the compliments guys. Clearly you all know talent better than the teacher did haha. I'm just surprised nobody caught my "OVER 9000!!!" that I tried to subtly throw in there.

cracklecloud
12-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Great job...! It was quite impressive but was anyone listening that was there? i saw like three people? but Hey that was cool! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

shionpaula
12-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Great job! :D

Blaumagier
12-28-2009, 08:08 AM
There was a lot more people than that, but most of them weren't seen on camera. Probably about 12 or so people.

SpaceGoo
12-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Wow, that was a really great speech. :D Hope you get an A!

I believe I caught 'it's over 9000' in there. :lol: