PDA

View Full Version : Sonic The Hedgehog Topic

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Sonic62
11-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Surprised I hadn't done this yet. Whenever something new comes up or you just want to discuss past Sonic games, TV shows or whatever, it can go here.

Note: Overly negative posts will be deleted, don't push it! Anti-Sonic will not be tolerated.

Alright, I've recently discovered a new album coming out; True Colors: The Best of Sonic The Hedgehog Part 2.
http://www.famitsu.com/image/4495/YItzU ... g8QG9.html (http://www.famitsu.com/image/4495/YItzUabvvWv11pco1JL77PEd3J1g8QG9.html)

solidmatt56
11-04-2009, 02:31 PM
oh sonic. where has the series gone wrong? i miss the days of sonic adventure 1 and 2 =(

GoldGameMaster
11-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Ah good ol Sonic. That guy hasn't let me down yet.

PK_Koopa
11-04-2009, 03:07 PM
The series is pretty over hated, I mean yes I didn't really like sonic heroes and hate Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 but Sonic unleashed(played the PS360 version) was actually a lot of fun....when you weren't playing as the werehog.
Apparently Sonic and the black knight was decent but I haven't heard anything that has convinced me to buy it.

Oh and the soundtrack is always awesome(not counting Chronicles of course) that being said I wasn't a great fan of Endless Possibilities.

Oculin
11-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I don't really know what to say about Sonic that I already haven't said, butthe other day I was thinking about looking into grabbing a copy of Sonic Shuffle. I remember playing it back in like 2000 on Dreamcast but I don't really remember much about it minus some kind of RPG battle system and at the end of a level you would surf out of a book or something...it was strange lol.

We shall see though, my wallet is frowning at me right now as i continue to pluck it's innards for my own personal gain.

Surprised I hadn't done this yet. Whenever something new comes up or you just want to discuss past Sonic games, TV shows or whatever, it can go here.

Lol i was actually incredibly surprised too. Thought maybe someone bumped a old topic that just happened to never take off.

solidmatt56
11-04-2009, 03:32 PM
i agree that the day stages of sonic unleashed were amazing but i'm sick of all the gimmicks sega feel like they need to add. i just want some good old platforming like the original sonic games!!!

KingBroly
11-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Honestly, if Sonic Unleashed was just the day stages and $40, and if those day stages were a bit more polished because of the lack of night stages (to be fair, some of those day stages weren't very good), I would've bought it Day 1.

Sega just needs to make a good Sonic only game. Secret Rings is the best 3D Sonic game IMO. Yes, the gimmick of him being in a storybook is stupid, but it's the most limited gimmick they've done.

DeaPGalaxy
11-04-2009, 05:38 PM
I got unleashed lately, I havn't had much time to play it but I'm loving the stages at least! =D

pikminsquad2148
11-04-2009, 06:41 PM
I <3 the Sonic Franchise. The only game I don't like is Sonic Heroes. If ask mne thats where the series started going downhill. I had mixed feelings about Sonic Unleashed. The werehog was a bad idea if you ask me.
-
Another thing,IGN gave a Sonic & the Black Knight a 3.5/10. >_< I that Sega did a pretty good job with that game. >_>

Sub-Laguz
11-04-2009, 07:03 PM
I am by no means an avid Sonic fan, and have yet to play most of the series, but I just love Sonic Spinball, if only for the title screen theme.

Slowflake
11-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I mentioned this before... I'm one of about pi/10 people who liked Heroes. If anything treasure hunting was much less of a chore there than in the Adventure games. But after that... I'm not going to go any further, since I'm pretty trigger-happy when it comes to nerdrage.

I'm honestly not sure why they can't seem to do a straight-up, no-nonsense platformer like the Genesis ones. Oh well, at least no matter what we think of the recent ones we can fall back on gems like Sonic 2 and S3&K. That they can't take away from us! EVER!

Also, MBM TAS from an interwebz buddy of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38y3ljRuVqw&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEsWN_QHJj4&fmt=18

Worth watching, if only for what he points out in the first part's movie description. And come to think of it, the second one's too. All that was missing was, I HAAAATE THAT HEDGEHOOOOOG!!!

Carnage
11-04-2009, 07:58 PM
I <3 the Sonic Franchise. The only game I don't like is Sonic Heroes. If ask mne thats where the series started going downhill. I had mixed feelings about Sonic Unleashed. The werehog was a bad idea if you ask me.
-
Another thing,IGN gave a Sonic & the Black Knight a 3.5/10. >_< I that Sega did a pretty good job with that game. >_>
Meh, to be honest I didn't really like S&tBK. Some of the levels were just ridiculously easy. There is a video posted on YouTube of somebody playing through one levels, not facing or looking at the TV, and just holding up on the analog stick on the nunchuk and waggling the remote, and he beat it in less than three minutes.

NicoCW
11-04-2009, 08:27 PM
The very first Sonic game for the Genesis was the very first game I played. I still, today, love the series up to Heroes and the DS games except Chronicles. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is my favorite of the whole series. I also LOVE chao. So many hours in Adventure 2 spent raising them!

I also like Sonic Heroes. It was a good game. Team Chaotix was my favorite Team, but unfortunately, I hated their missions. Destroy every single enemy in Grand Metropolis? What a pain.

I'm really hoping that game announced for 2010 will truly bring Sonic back to his routes. We got fooled with Unleashed. Everyone was all like "Sonic's back! Sonic's back!" but no. I didn't like or hate Unleashed, I thought that it fell straight into mediocrity. I haven't tried '06 or Black Knight. I'm sure that IGN is still wrong for giving it a 3.5. There's no way any Sonic game can be that bad.

As for this whole voice actors debate, I have an opinion: I don't give a flying crap. Drummond and Griffith sound nearly identical, and we're supposed to be playing the game, not buying for the sole purpose of the cutscenes. Voice acting in Sonic games don't bother me at all, but all the whining that people do sure does. In fact, why don't they just say "Screw you" to both groups and bring back Jaleel White?

Oculin
11-04-2009, 08:28 PM
There is a video posted on YouTube of somebody playing through one levels, not facing or looking at the TV, and just holding up on the analog stick on the nunchuk and waggling the remote, and he beat it in less than three minutes.
Are we sure we aren't talking about Castlevania Judgement here?

Carnage
11-04-2009, 08:40 PM
There is a video posted on YouTube of somebody playing through one levels, not facing or looking at the TV, and just holding up on the analog stick on the nunchuk and waggling the remote, and he beat it in less than three minutes.
Are we sure we aren't talking about Castlevania Judgement here?
There is a video of it on youtube, however it does contain swaring and some inappropriate content [language, mostly] so I cannot provide the link. :3

irishwinger10
11-04-2009, 08:54 PM
i agree that the day stages of sonic unleashed were amazing but i'm sick of all the gimmicks sega feel like they need to add. i just want some good old platforming like the original sonic games!!!

This. I feel like sega's felt the need like their game won't be liked if there isn't some interesting gimmick to keep gamers entertained, but i think that's what most sonic fans (or me at least) want: a simple platforming sonic game. Like it was said earlier, if sonic unleashed was only day stages and those stages were a bit more polished i think it would make a really great game.

Other than that, I feel like the only "gimmicked" sonic games (if you wanna call them that) that i've really liked was the Sonic Riders series. I mean come on, who doesn't like flying around on hover boards doing cool tricks _awesome_

Sonic62
11-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks for keeping it civil guys!

I also LOVE chao. So many hours in Adventure 2 spent raising them!

Voice acting in Sonic games don't bother me at all, but all the whining that people do sure does. In fact, why don't they just say "Screw you" to both groups and bring back Jaleel White?

Yes! I love Chao as well. Like you said, a ton of my play time went into raising them!

So true on the voice acting, couldn't agree more. Jaleel White doing Sonic again would be hilarious!

solidmatt56
11-04-2009, 09:31 PM
oh i didn't even think of chao! i spent sooo much time between sonic advance and sonic adventure 2 battle! good times, good times.

Slowflake
11-05-2009, 08:56 AM
I'll be honest: the only reason why I even bothered with Chao was for the emblems. To be fair, I was playing the Dreamcast versions, and it lacked the improvements the GCN ports got. But otherwise? Meh. Pokémon spoiled me, what can I say?

the1stpkmnfan
11-05-2009, 11:51 PM
The Sonic the Hedgehog games have a warm spot in my heart. :) How I love playing Sonic Heroes, Adventure 1-2, Advance 1-3 and especially classics like the fighters and R. I really dont have a problem with any of the games in the franchise.

lewigi2012
11-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I grew up playing the Sonic and Mario games and although I preferred the Mario games, the Sonic games were always great fun to play. I also played Sonic Adventure 1&2 which were awesome and my favourite in the series.
I got Sonic Heroes but didn't enjoy that too much and I haven't played any new Sonic games since. I'm glad he's being reborn in 2d though in Sonic Team's next project :D

Skeletor1991
11-06-2009, 09:55 AM
God I LOVE the Sonic series. All the way from the very first game, to Adventures, to...all the othjer crap XD I think if I could just sit down and try, I could easily speed-run Sonic Adventures 1 and 2

diddyknux
11-06-2009, 01:45 PM
I obviously love the Sonic series and hope this can be an upbeat discussion after this, but I need to get the negative part out of the way so I can push it to the side and never speak of it again... In this topic... Hopefully... This better be my only rant against Sonic haters for this topic.

If the Sonic series isn't the game franchise that people treat with the most bipolar attitude, I don't know what is. Are people who played the Genesis games honestly that obsessed that a Sonic game can only be good if there is nothing classic running and platforming? If a Mario or Zelda game uses a gimmick, its commended for trying something new. If a Sonic game does, its automatically condemned as sucking, without regard as to if it actually does suck or not!

The most blatant examples of this would be Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Unleashed. "OMG, a Sonic game with guns? Series ruined forever!" Gimme a break. The actual gameplay and controls were fairly tight there. The vehicles didn't control very good, but the gun gameplay worked well. I've never had a problem with aiming or whatever excuse anyone gives to call it bad. And as far as Unleashed goes, I think the game would honestly get boring quick if it were just day stages. What exactly is bad about the werehog? Its a stupid idea? Well, Link riding a train isn't the most conventional thing ever, either. It controls badly? How so? Maybe in the 360 version it does, but on the Wii, the controls work just as well as either Sonic Adventure game. And then of course, there is Sonic & the Black Knight, but, I'm not even going to start on how dumb people were over that!

My main point is this: Don't you haters think its a bit of a double-standard to be okay with other franchises when they try something different, but to freak out whenever this series does? Face it, its not the gimmicks that are the problem, ITS YOU!

Whew... Please understand that the previous post was directed at no one person, but more towards the general crowd who are of the mind that anything that is not classic-style Sonic is automatically bad. I just thought it needed to be pointed out how inconsistene some gamers can be.

I'd rather this topic be more about the awesomeness this series has, and the praise it is deserving of. Not rants like the former.

diddyknux
11-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Now for the fun part. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was my first Sonic game, and still my favorite overall (with 3&Knuckles as a close second). Just everything about that game is awesome. A fantastic soundtrack (yes, even Rouge's stages have good music too me), a cool story ("Save the world... Or conquer it!" is still one of my favorite taglines ever!), fun stages (mostly :evil: ), Chao (oh yes, Chao!), and 2 player action!

All of this on top of the fact that you really have to work for 100% completion. I've only gotten all 180 Emblems ONCE, and you better believe I still have that file, which alone has over 150 hours clocked in. I can't tell you how many times I've sat down and said "I'm gonna replay this, and get 180 again!" and then pitter out around 100. In a weird way, I admire how difficult it is to get them all. And its hard to pull off enjoyable difficulty.

Sonic62
11-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Diddyknux, will you be my best friend? :lol:

I highly suggest fans follow Sonic Retro's Twitter. There's some really cool concept art posted, among other things. http://twitter.com/sonicretro

GoldGameMaster
11-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Now for the fun part. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was my first Sonic game, and still my favorite overall (with 3&Knuckles as a close second). Just everything about that game is awesome. A fantastic soundtrack (yes, even Rouge's stages have good music too me), a cool story ("Save the world... Or conquer it!" is still one of my favorite taglines ever!), fun stages (mostly :evil: ), Chao (oh yes, Chao!), and 2 player action!

All of this on top of the fact that you really have to work for 100% completion. I've only gotten all 180 Emblems ONCE, and you better believe I still have that file, which alone has over 150 hours clocked in. I can't tell you how many times I've sat down and said "I'm gonna replay this, and get 180 again!" and then pitter out around 100. In a weird way, I admire how difficult it is to get them all. And its hard to pull off enjoyable difficulty.

Yeah another guy who wallows at 100.
A few years ago I had about 173 then my memeory card got corrupted. All those chao raising hours gone! Having to do route 101 and 209! Ugh.

irishwinger10
11-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I

If the Sonic series isn't the game franchise that people treat with the most bipolar attitude, I don't know what is. Are people who played the Genesis games honestly that obsessed that a Sonic game can only be good if there is nothing classic running and platforming? If a Mario or Zelda game uses a gimmick, its commended for trying something new. If a Sonic game does, its automatically condemned as sucking, without regard as to if it actually does suck or not!

I agree that people are very bipolar about this wonderful series, but i think the difference between mario/zelda gimmicks and sonic gimmicks is that mario and zelda games, with the gimmick, still keep the usual playing that they're known for. But i think that the sonic gimmicks usually directly affect the best-known gameplay that sonic games are known for. I agree, though, I like most of the sonic games :D

Omega
11-06-2009, 06:36 PM
okay let the record show that sonic games rule as we all already know but the last two i played kinda disappointed me, those being sonic and the secret rings and even though i loved the music for it, the controls aggravated me so much that i actually quit playing my wii for a month and the other one being sonic the hedgehog on the 360, again i loved the music but the camera was awful and i can't tell you how many times i died when the camera slightly shifted and those two games kinda made loose a little faith in sega but hopefully this new sonic game comming out won't be all hype and sorry if this seemed kinda negative

Skeletor1991
11-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I still crossing my finger for a Sonic Marathon. *PRAY*

diddyknux
11-06-2009, 07:06 PM
okay let the record show that sonic games rule as we all already know but the last two i played kinda disappointed me, those being sonic and the secret rings and even though i loved the music for it, the controls aggravated me so much that i actually quit playing my wii for a month and the other one being sonic the hedgehog on the 360, again i loved the music but the camera was awful and i can't tell you how many times i died when the camera slightly shifted and those two games kinda made loose a little faith in sega but hopefully this new sonic game comming out won't be all hype and sorry if this seemed kinda negative

While I generally defend Sonic games, I do have to admit that Sonic 360 does deserve most of the hate it gets. I don't think the story as bad as people say (Shadow's anyway. Sonic's is way too repetitive, and Silver's could have been better if Silver was a better developed character and didn't try to shoe-in Blaze) and the music is amazing, but most of its hate is deserved (though some players can make it look fun in the right YouTube vids...)

Secret Rings, the big problem is that you have to level up Sonic. Once you do reach a high enough level to unlock his better skills, any control issues there are (and they aren't as bad as people say) become a moot point, as you can almost god mode your way through anything.

Since I'm on the topic of Secret Rings, I must admit how fun (despite the difficulty) the final boss was. Something about shaking the Wiimote seems silly, but also strangely entertaing, and Darkspine Sonic is every bit as awesome as Super Sonic. When he just goes postal on the energy ball/the actual boss it just looks sweet! Its like if Super Sonic were Goku, Darkspine Sonic would be Vegeta....

I think that would rank as one of my top 5 bosses in the series.
1. The Doomsday
2. Perfect Chaos
3. The Finalhazard
4. Alf Layal al Waya (or whatever the name is!)
5. Super Mecha Sonic/Egg Viper (tied)
(NOTE: I have never played Sonic CD ( :shock: is the face readers now have!) so that's way Metal Sonic isn't on here, if you're wondering)

I wonder if my posts in this topic are a tad bit too long... ;)

Oculin
11-06-2009, 09:00 PM
I obviously love the Sonic series and hope this can be an upbeat discussion after this, but I need to get the negative part out of the way so I can push it to the side and never speak of it again... In this topic... Hopefully... This better be my only rant against Sonic haters for this topic.
See last response

If the Sonic series isn't the game franchise that people treat with the most bipolar attitude, I don't know what is. Are people who played the Genesis games honestly that obsessed that a Sonic game can only be good if there is nothing classic running and platforming? If a Mario or Zelda game uses a gimmick, its commended for trying something new. If a Sonic game does, its automatically condemned as sucking, without regard as to if it actually does suck or not! Because they do a bad job blending them into the sonic formula and disrupt the gameplay or change the game so it isn't looked as a sonic game anymore. Where as games like Mario and Zelda work them into their already previous playing experience and keep the classic feel.

And as far as Unleashed goes, I think the game would honestly get boring quick if it were just day stages. What exactly is bad about the werehog? Its a stupid idea? Well, Link riding a train isn't the most conventional thing ever, either. It controls badly? How so? Maybe in the 360 version it does, but on the Wii, the controls work just as well as either Sonic Adventure game. And then of course, there is Sonic & the Black Knight, but, I'm not even going to start on how dumb people were over that!
Link's train is almost identical to his boat minus one thing, he is on a preset path between areas(plus he can lay down his own track). Werehog is, Hey lets take the main thing people like about Sonic and remove it. Make him a slow moving juggernaut.

My main point is this: Don't you haters think its a bit of a double-standard to be okay with other franchises when they try something different, but to freak out whenever this series does? Face it, its not the gimmicks that are the problem, ITS YOU! Same as before,, it is probably the gimmicks. People who dislike sonic don't dislike him for no reason.

Whew... Please understand that the previous post was directed at no one person, but more towards the general crowd who are of the mind that anything that is not classic-style Sonic is automatically bad. I just thought it needed to be pointed out how inconsistene some gamers can be. I personally don't like the classic ones, but I think Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 + Secret rings were pretty awesome.

I'd rather this topic be more about the awesomeness this series has, and the praise it is deserving of. Not rants like the former.
Then why make this post?

Omega
11-06-2009, 09:04 PM
I wonder if my posts in this topic are a tad bit too long... ;)

a little but no complaints here and the reason i really didn't like sonic and the secret rings controls because at times they were either a bit unresponsive or not at all but it was still a fun game none the less, i even like the multiplayer mode as bad as it was

solidmatt56
11-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Diddyknux has some really good points. i've never heard a hardcore sonic fan defend themselves so well before!

diddyknux
11-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I've said what I said, and that's that. Let's move on. I'm not commenting any further on it here.

Skeletor1991
11-06-2009, 10:08 PM
I've said what I said, and that's that. Let's move on. I'm not commenting any further on it here.

Oh but Knux, it seems like everyone loves you :lol:

Omega
11-06-2009, 10:19 PM
lol well if he wants to move on i say we let him even though i actually find what he has to say well thought out

diddyknux
11-06-2009, 10:22 PM
lol well if he wants to move on i say we let him even though i actually find what he has to say well thought out

You guys talk like I hijacked the topic.

Sorry if it came off that way, Sonic62.

ANYWAY, just to nudge this forward, so... I gave the story of my first Sonic game. What about the rest of you guys?

Skeletor1991
11-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Well I guess if we are looking for other peoples thought, I must say, out of all the series, the Adventures series was BY FAR my favorite. It introduced the Sonic series to the 3-D (No no, 3-D blast did a bad job at that) and really revolutionized how the games are made. I loved how the stories were done, though of course, pretty much the same as all the other games, Eggman wants some emeralds, blah blah blah, SUPER SONIC, game over. But I just felt like these games had a little something more to them. Not too sure exactly what that is, but I know it just made me enjoy the Adventure games alot more. Now don't get me wrong, I love all the others games, just the Adventure games are special to me.

Omega
11-06-2009, 10:27 PM

ANYWAY, just to nudge this forward, so... I gave the story of my first Sonic game. What about the rest of you guys?

lol diddy its cool like i said i actually commend you on your points but anyways my first sonic game of course was the orignal and it still to this day remains my favorite of the series

diddyknux
11-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Well I guess if we are looking for other peoples thought, I must say, out of all the series, the Adventures series was BY FAR my favorite. It introduced the Sonic series to the 3-D (No no, 3-D blast did a bad job at that) and really revolutionized how the games are made. I loved how the stories were done, though of course, pretty much the same as all the other games, Eggman wants some emeralds, blah blah blah, SUPER SONIC, game over. But I just felt like these games had a little something more to them. Not too sure exactly what that is, but I know it just made me enjoy the Adventure games alot more. Now don't get me wrong, I love all the others games, just the Adventure games are special to me.

The way Adventure 1 handled it was so epic, though. The whole backstory with Chaos and Tikal, and the way all the character's stories weave together. HellfireComms once said they think SA1 has the better gameplay, and 2 has the better story, but I actually feel its the other way around.

Omega
11-06-2009, 10:36 PM

The way Adventure 1 handled it was so epic, though. The whole backstory with Chaos and Tikal, and the way all the character's stories weave together. HellfireComms once said they think SA1 has the better gameplay, and 2 has the better story, but I actually feel its the other way around.

well i think both we're equally as good as far as story goes and although if SA2 played like SA1 it might have had a little more replay value but that still doesn't take away from how good the games really are

Skeletor1991
11-06-2009, 10:37 PM
It's really hard to tell, if you were to ask me, I liked 1 better. It just was such a special game to me. I spent summer after summer with my cousin going through that game and seeing how fast we could beat it. It just became very special for us on the Dreamcast. And it's kinda funny now adays. When I look back, it use to take us...oh a month or so to beat the game. Now if I really try, I could probably speed-run the game in a matter of hours :mrgreen:

Sonic62
11-06-2009, 10:58 PM

:lol: No problem at all, I love what you said! You pretty well read my mind.

MiniKitty
11-07-2009, 01:22 AM
I just want to say that I think they should make a new Sonic Adventure-esque game that's as awesome as its predecessors. Also, it should definitely have Chao in it, as that was seriously one of my favorite aspects of any Sonic game. Ohh the hours I spent raising and breeding those little buggers.

irishwinger10
11-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I just want to say that I think they should make a new Sonic Adventure-esque game that's as awesome as its predecessors. Also, it should definitely have Chao in it, as that was seriously one of my favorite aspects of any Sonic game. Ohh the hours I spent raising and breeding those little buggers.

I agree. I think the adventure games were probly my over-all favorite games of the series. And yes, i vote for chao to be in the game, or even make an entirely seperate game for chao!!!

Skeletor1991
11-07-2009, 10:44 AM
I thought I heard of "rumors" about a Sonic Adventures 3 possibly. But it's just a rumor.

irishwinger10
11-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I thought I heard of "rumors" about a Sonic Adventures 3 possibly. But it's just a rumor.
:o I sure hope it's real and not just a rumor! _awesome_

Oculin
11-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Wasn't Sonic 06 like Sonic Adventure? In terms of how its set up at the least.

Skeletor1991
11-07-2009, 01:07 PM

I remember watching a video about that game and how many issues were with it. I don't think that counts if you ask me.

Scruff
11-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I've always had fun with the Sonic games, though the last time I really enjoyed one all the way through was Sonic Heroes. Team play is a good game mechanic if done right, I also just loved the look and music for the stages. :) I don't think anything has beat the Genesis games yet but I have very high hopes for project Needlemouse, as long as they keep the awesome gameplay and music of the originals then I'm happy.

diddyknux
11-07-2009, 02:42 PM

I remember watching a video about that game and how many issues were with it. I don't think that counts if you ask me.

He's got a point though. I hate to admit it, but Sonic 06 basically was Sonic Adventure 3, the way it was built. I'm glad they didn't use that name, though, as it would have left a huge stain on the Adventure series...

I did hear that Unleashed was named Sonic Adventure 3 in pre-production phases.

GoldGameMaster
11-07-2009, 03:57 PM

He's got a point though. I hate to admit it, but Sonic 06 basically was Sonic Adventure 3, the way it was built. I'm glad they didn't use that name, though, as it would have left a huge stain on the Adventure series...

I did hear that Unleashed was named Sonic Adventure 3 in pre-production phases.

Actually it was Sonic World Adventure. Might have been SA3 in some very early stages back when the game was unknown to the public.

the1stpkmnfan
11-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Im just looking forward to the upcoming Sonic game, so long hopes dont get crushed this time. :P

Sonic62
11-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I think you're talking about hub worlds right? I can't be completely sure as Sonic 06 is one of the few I haven't played.

GrimsChild
11-08-2009, 10:04 AM

I recon Heroes was more like SA3, Dont really know WHAT Sonic 06 was trying to be. (I am guessing It was trying to be more like Sonic 1 since they had the right idea about the speed with the Sonic & Shadow section just with horrible execution)

And I think the rumours of another Sonic Adventure 1 remake are more convincing than the ones of SA3

Anyways, While I never played the original sonic games when I was young, I still enjoyed the old Sonic games (Especially Sonic CD & Sonic and Knuckles). Although I still pray every night for Ristar 2.

Skeletor1991
11-08-2009, 10:09 AM
It's really hard to tell what's going to happen to the Adventures series. Sega really likes to screw with its gamers minds.

the1stpkmnfan
11-08-2009, 10:32 AM
I know originally that SA3 was mean to actually be Sonic Heroes. But then I read that they didnt want Heroes to be for hardcore fan gamers only (I think), and instead have it for all ages.

diddyknux
11-08-2009, 03:17 PM
I know originally that SA3 was mean to actually be Sonic Heroes. But then I read that they didnt want Heroes to be for hardcore fan gamers only (I think), and instead have it for all ages.

If nothing else, Heroes did have a lighter tone than the Adventure games did.

Not that that was bad. It felt like a 3D version of the Genesis games, and worked pretty well. Probably my least favorite Sonic game (out of the ones I like, which is most), but its good.

Skeletor1991
11-08-2009, 08:05 PM
God, my favorite moment in the Sonic series....has to be the final boss of Sonic Adventures 2. The fight is SO perfect and the music worked to set the perfect tone.

Oculin
11-08-2009, 08:11 PM
And I think the rumours of another Sonic Adventure 1 remake are more convincing than the ones of SA3

Hopefully it will have less glitches lol I love that game but the glitches try my patience at times.

Slowflake
11-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I've long gone past the point where I get angry at glitches in this game, and laugh at them if they're silly enough. Sonic especially can go so fast at times that some really ridiculous stuff happens, especially in Speed Highway. Well, I might get annoyed if I was on a particularly good attempt for the A-rank emblem, which for my money is one of the tougher ones in the game.

solidmatt56
11-09-2009, 11:01 AM
wasn't sonic unleashed called sonic world adventure in japan or something?

Sonic62
11-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Yep, that's right. Also, Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity is Sonic Riders: Shooting Star Story in Japan.

Skeletor1991
11-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Yep, that's right. Also, Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity is Sonic Riders: Shooting Star Story in Japan.

Don't they use the phrase "Shooting Star" a bunch in Japan?

pikminsquad2148
11-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Meh, If you ask me Japan has no creativity in the names of their games. IE:Mario & Luigi RPG 3, compared to the North American title, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

But I must say Japan does use "story" alot to name their games.

Talking about SoTH, makes me want to do glitch hunting in SADX again.

aStupidGecko
11-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Meh, If you ask me Japan has no creativity in the names of their games. IE:Mario & Luigi RPG 3, compared to the North American title, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

But I must say Japan does use "story" alot to name their games.

Talking about SoTH, makes me want to do glitch hunting in SADX again.

ahh glitch hunting...good times

diddyknux
11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Played some Knuckles in Sonic 2 the other day. Now that features an annoying glitch! We all know Knuckles doesn't jump as high as Sonic, so in the fight with Eggman on the Death Egg, you've gotta wait for the Eggrobo to bend down. The problem is, sometimes on the last hit, Knuckles doesn't bounce off when he hits the boss like he usually does, so he hits the claws anyway. :x

Omega
11-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Played some Knuckles in Sonic 2 the other day. Now that features an annoying glitch! We all know Knuckles doesn't jump as high as Sonic, so in the fight with Eggman on the Death Egg, you've gotta wait for the Eggrobo to bend down. The problem is, sometimes on the last hit, Knuckles doesn't bounce off when he hits the boss like he usually does, so he hits the claws anyway. :x

okay now that would be annoying but at least you get knuckles as choice instead of just either sonic or tails

Slowflake
11-11-2009, 07:35 PM
I usually wait for the robot to bend over when playing as Sonic too. While he can jump high enough to land a hit when the robot's standing up, there's zero room for error. And between my overall incompetence and being forced to redo Metal Sonic, I rarely feel like risking everything on such a tight jump.

Tails? He's great in S3&K... but not here (http://theslackerz.com/Comics/046.gif).

NicoCW
11-11-2009, 07:51 PM
I hate the last boss in Sonic 2. I either suck, or always die spontaneously. I also wait until he's bent over to hit him. I feel like a wuss, but hey, I still beat him that way.

diddyknux
11-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Well, at least Sega decided in final boss fights for games after that to actually give the player Rings.

Sonic62
11-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Oh wow, I hate that too! As if waiting for it to bend down didn't make it long enough, you glitch and have to start over!

Skeletor1991
11-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Oh wow, I hate that too! As if waiting for it to bend down didn't make it long enough, you glitch and have to start over!

Wow I forgot all about that glitch. That was always a pain.

Slowflake
11-13-2009, 06:52 PM
<3 <3 <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHJHzVwY ... ity&fmt=18 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHJHzVwYXeU&feature=subtivity&fmt=18)

<3 <3 !!!

diddyknux
11-13-2009, 10:41 PM
<3 <3 <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHJHzVwY ... ity&fmt=18 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHJHzVwYXeU&feature=subtivity&fmt=18)

<3 <3 !!!

:shock: So... epic. It kind of sounds too overlayed at some points, but for the most part its amazing! Its totally getting downloaded, like, right now!

Slowflake
11-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Of course it's going to be overlayed a bit, that kind of thing happens when you mash up three different songs. Nonetheless, this is extremely impressive not only to the ear, but from a technical standpoint as well. It must've taken forever to make, and I don't even want to think about how many programs were needed.

diddyknux
11-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Was just replaying S3&K as Tails.

*sigh* I sure do miss the Super Emeralds, but I've pretty much accepted that they've fallen out of continuity, along with the previous robotic Sonics and a few other plot points. Which majorly sucks, but, no point crying about it. :cry:

Sonic62
11-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Was just replaying S3&K as Tails.

*sigh* I sure do miss the Super Emeralds, but I've pretty much accepted that they've fallen out of continuity, along with the previous robotic Sonics and a few other plot points. Which majorly sucks, but, no point crying about it. :cry:
Ya, I know what you mean. I also wonder if Nack or Mighty will ever come back.

Slowflake
11-16-2009, 10:10 AM
For my money, Super Tails was vastly superior to Hyper Sonic and Hyper Knuckles. But I do miss all three of them. (Please, no one bring up "Hyper" Shadow.)

Sonic62
11-16-2009, 10:46 AM
For my money, Super Tails was vastly superior to Hyper Sonic and Hyper Knuckles. But I do miss all three of them. (Please, no one bring up "Hyper" Shadow.)
:lol: That takes me back to the big arguments over what Super Shadow was called way back when.

Slowflake
11-16-2009, 06:18 PM
I heard it was because of a mistake in a strategy guide...

Yuso
11-18-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm honestly not sure why they can't seem to do a straight-up, no-nonsense platformer like the Genesis ones. Oh well, at least no matter what we think of the recent ones we can fall back on gems like Sonic 2 and S3&K. That they can't take away from us! EVER!

I totally agree with that as well. So much time spent on S3&K gather the emeralds and super emeralds. Playing through all the adventure with all the characters and the level engine was very good. crafty traps and like the point of Sonic, run by very very fast. In the Sonic Adventure games, they got too techie with all the power ups. Not saying that they weren't fun, but the primitive Sonic games are different, they are 'to the point' of Sonic the Hedgehog.

aStupidGecko
11-18-2009, 07:32 PM
My friend drew a picture of a Mint Oero and Sonic as if they had a baby
I'll try to get a picture of it

diddyknux
11-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Have you guys seen the Tails in Sonic 1/Knuckles in Sonic 1 hacks? All the speed and powers of 3&K, none of the pallete problems of Sonic 1. I watched videos of them at http://tasvideos.org Kinda cool, plus tool-assisted speedruns are usually entertaining.

Sonic62
11-19-2009, 03:00 AM
Have you guys seen the Tails in Sonic 1/Knuckles in Sonic 1 hacks? All the speed and powers of 3&K, none of the pallete problems of Sonic 1. I watched videos of them at http://tasvideos.org Kinda cool, plus tool-assisted speedruns are usually entertaining.
Oh I've "seen" them alright! :D

TPadz
11-20-2009, 07:07 PM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/9/2009/11/500x_sonic_sackboys.jpg

Should be released next month.

diddyknux
11-20-2009, 09:58 PM
That's so awesome! :mrgreen:

Sonic62
11-21-2009, 01:17 AM
http://www.thespeedgamers.com/take-clas ... intendo-ds (http://www.thespeedgamers.com/take-classic-sonic-games-on-the-go-with-sonic-classic-collection-on-nintendo-ds)

Just read this, consider me super excited! :D :D

Sonic62
11-25-2009, 03:59 AM
So I was checking out the Japanese Sonic site and came across Sonic & Knuckles. Seems they've put it out on the Virtual Console there on October 27th.

On Sonic Channel: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... 9QHyhu823Q (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://blog.sonic-channel.jp/&rurl=translate.google.ca&usg=ALkJrhivAkvblp-fJyOhV01n9QHyhu823Q)

S&K VC Site: http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl ... c_sandk%2F (http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvc.sega.jp%2Fvc_sandk%2F)

Or if you just want to see it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTy77euSyHk

diddyknux
11-25-2009, 10:44 AM
That's cool, hopefully we get it here soon, too. Not that I need it, since I have Mega Collection, but it'll still be cool.

DavyBones24
11-26-2009, 09:39 AM
http://www.thespeedgamers.com/take-classic-sonic-games-on-the-go-with-sonic-classic-collection-on-nintendo-ds

Omg! i would buy that in a blink of a eye if that came out in the usa! XD

Also i found this neat little video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeMeMFHLmQ

a bunch of songs from Sonic Adventure are actually remixes of songs from Sonic on the Megadrive and 3-d blast.

GoldGameMaster
11-26-2009, 11:49 AM
http://www.thespeedgamers.com/take-classic-sonic-games-on-the-go-with-sonic-classic-collection-on-nintendo-ds

Omg! i would buy that in a blink of a eye if that came out in the usa! XD

Also i found this neat little video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeMeMFHLmQ

a bunch of songs from Sonic Adventure are actually remixes of songs from Sonic on the Megadrive and 3-d blast.

Wow you learn something new everyday. :waiting:

NicoCW
11-26-2009, 07:44 PM
I seriously never knew until now that Tails' theme in Adventure was actually a remix of Bridge Zone... wow... Now I feel like finding more reused themes...

Slowflake
11-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I still don't see the resemblance TBH. I knew about all the others, though.

Sonic62
11-28-2009, 01:55 AM
Ah yes, speaking of the Bridge Zone, it's supposedly reminiscent of a Janet Jackson song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlMxnhJ3uvk

Slowflake
11-28-2009, 08:13 AM
And Carnival Night, Ice Cap and Launch Base supposedly sound like Michael Jackson songs. Rumor has it that's the reason why those songs were changed in the PC version.

GoldGameMaster
12-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Sorry to change the converstation but check this out. Its pretty neat.
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/12/07/se ... ic-statue/ (http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/12/07/sega-us-offices-get-new-sonic-statue/)

Skeletor1991
12-07-2009, 04:44 PM
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/12/07/se ... ic-statue/ (http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/12/07/sega-us-offices-get-new-sonic-statue/)

Wow....how come I can nice things like that in my house :lol:

GoldGameMaster
12-08-2009, 02:18 PM

Yeah, I'd love to have one too. _awesome_

Skeletor1991
12-08-2009, 03:13 PM

Yeah, I'd love to have one too. _awesome_

You have a spare couple thousand dollars I can borrow? :lol:

Vyse
12-08-2009, 07:23 PM
I'd get all excited about the Sonic Collection on the DS, but I recently got the Mega Collection Plus for the PS2. So far I've completed the 1st 2 games, and I'm currently playing Sonic 3. And is it just me, or is the A.I. in Mean Bean Machine cheap?

Skeletor1991
12-08-2009, 08:23 PM
I'd get all excited about the Sonic Collection on the DS, but I recently got the Mega Collection Plus for the PS2. So far I've completed the 1st 2 games, and I'm currently playing Sonic 3. And is it just me, or is the A.I. in Mean Bean Machine cheap?

It is in all games like that.

diddyknux
12-08-2009, 10:15 PM

It can be pretty cheap. At least they give you infinite continues. :fail:

Sonic62
12-08-2009, 10:41 PM
And is it just me, or is the A.I. in Mean Bean Machine cheap?
Ah jeez, don't remind me. :shock:
Oh man, I want one!

Omega
12-09-2009, 04:34 AM
okay first off i must start by saying that statue is EPIC and second i'm sure everyones heard about the whole Micheal Jackson writing the soundtrack for Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and if you haven't heres a video about it thats quite intresting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbVM-l2Oku4 but anyways what do you guys think since its not proven that he was

Oculin
12-09-2009, 12:39 PM
okay first off i must start by saying that statue is EPIC and second i'm sure everyones heard about the whole Micheal Jackson writing the soundtrack for Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and if you haven't heres a video about it thats quite intresting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbVM-l2Oku4 but anyways what do you guys think since its not proven that he was
Does the music stay the same in the GCN's Sonic Mega Collection version of Sonic 3? or was it replaced by the Sonic and Knuckles soundtrack?

Omega
12-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Does the music stay the same in the GCN's Sonic Mega Collection version of Sonic 3? or was it replaced by the Sonic and Knuckles soundtrack?

okay intresting enough about the whole subject is that drossin is given a special thanks to in the credits and only some of the songs that a bare a striking resemblance to MJ songs were replaced in the sonic 3 pc rom and as for the sonic mega collection, i'll have to go back and look and one other intresting thing to note is in sonic's ultimate genesis collection, in the sonic 3 museum section it does say he was contracted to do the soundtrack but no one at sega recalls that he actually was in fact called in

Slowflake
12-09-2009, 06:23 PM
I've played S3&K on a lot of different systems, and the new tracks are ONLY in the PC version.

Omega
12-09-2009, 11:25 PM
ah okay and check these out, who wouldn't want a pair of these http://www.myairshoes.com/wp-content/up ... ckles2.jpg (http://www.myairshoes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/sonicvsknuckles2.jpg)

Sonic62
12-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Not that I had any doubt, but it's confirmed!
http://www.sonicretro.org/2009/12/micha ... confirmed/ (http://www.sonicretro.org/2009/12/michael-jackson-involvement-with-sonic-3-confirmed/)

Skeletor1991
12-14-2009, 01:47 PM
http://www.sonicretro.org/2009/12/micha ... confirmed/ (http://www.sonicretro.org/2009/12/michael-jackson-involvement-with-sonic-3-confirmed/)

I think the first time we really hear it is in the first stage of the game.

NicoCW
12-14-2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.sonicretro.org/2009/12/micha ... confirmed/ (http://www.sonicretro.org/2009/12/michael-jackson-involvement-with-sonic-3-confirmed/)It's about time!

I was actually expecting a "Nope, Michael Jackson wasn't involved!" but I guess I was wrong. Glad all of that was explained.

diddyknux
12-14-2009, 07:37 PM
*Deep, dramatic voice* And so a long-standing urban legen of gaming is proven as true. :lol:

YalWerdna
12-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Well, isn't that something? It's amazing what you can find in even the most unexpected of places.

SonicSpeed
12-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Sonic games are great. My favs are Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Adventure 2

GoldGameMaster
12-15-2009, 02:21 PM
The whole MJ thing was true? :o

Omega
12-15-2009, 03:52 PM

lol well now i can sleep easy knowing it wasn't a myth

ChaosLink93
12-21-2009, 12:32 PM
I personally don't understand why people hate on Sonic just for him being Sonic these days. Okay, Sega screwed up with Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 but come on, that one game doesn't mean every following Sonic game has to suck. Those who weren't already set against Sonic loved Unleashed and rightfully so. Unleashed for 360 is personally my favorite Sonic game of all time even beating SA2 in some ways. That's just how good it actually is.

ChaosLink93
12-21-2009, 12:33 PM
And personally, I'm pumped for Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing in February. I was even more excited to hear that Banjo and Kazooie will get representation as random as that is. XD

TwilightBlade
12-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Besides Sonic Next Gen 06 (horrible loading time), I support all main Sonic games because Sonic is my childhood! I loved playing the Genesis, mostly as Tails. My all time favorite would be Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. I must have about 200 chao across 5 memory cards. ^___^

FallenBlaze
12-21-2009, 06:26 PM
i loved ALL of the sonic games, i dunno why but i thought Sonic 06 was really good, its really an underrated game, load time wasnt that bad for me, but my fave game has to be sonic adventure 2 :)

i loved all the music for the games too :D

cracklecloud
12-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Ohhh I loved Chao! Escpecially from Adventure 2 battle. Those games were so fun I can't believe it! I loved Sonic as a kid but now...eh its great but I'm Into my Avatar and my Signature now. Times change but hey! You can still love things from the past! Hahaha! See ya! :yay: :yay: :yay:

pikminion
12-21-2009, 09:25 PM
I remember my first time playing sonic, on the sega CD, back when the times were good. Then we got the dreamcast, and I played the demo for Sonic Adventure over and over and over, hoping to maybe somehow break the game to go to the next level. (I was young and stupid then) Then adventure 2 blew my mind, and I thought that sonic would never be topped. Then when sonic heroes came out, my mind was blown again...until the fifth level or so on, where it became glitchapalooza. Then I got shadow the hedgehog, and although its strange seeing guns with a sonic game, if you avoid them, it plays very well. After that, I got Sonic for the 360 and...well...I was VERY dissapointed.

Aside from the obvious problems (Like some seriously BROKEN gameplay) I just couldn't stand anything in that game. Especially certain parts suggesting beastiality, but that's an entirely different problem.

I then pursued sonic and the secret rings, and I stopped collecting 3D sonic games from there. It wasn't that I didn't like the game itself, it just wasn't the type of game I was willing to play with the wiimote's controls.

After that I was in a slump, and sadly, deprived of sonic for a good few years. Then my brother told me "I hear sonic unleashed has levels that have awesome 2d segments, like the old days.

Then an idea had hit me, I had an old sonic 3 and knuckles collection CD in my house. So I went ahead and popped that **** in, and had the most fun Sonic experience of my life. After that, I bought the sonic collections, and continued to play his games in all of their 2D glory! Sonic was a major part of my videogaming life again, and I was happy. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is now my favorite game COMPILATION (its still technically 2 :P) and Sonic 2 is my favorite game.

That doesn't mean that the 2D sonic are necessarily better than the 3d games, but they have a different feel. Sonic adventure and sonic adventure 2, are old 3d gems, but the sonic 2d series, is one of the greats, and was able to actually beat nintendo out once upon a time. YES, sega has had troubles with making reasonably pleasing Sonic games recently, and though I cannot speak for us all, I feel like they just need more time to produce their games.

The pattern I've noticed is that, nintendo produces their mario 3d games about once every console (mario galaxy 2 will be an exception) However, sega pushes out 4 or 5 per console, and that is their trouble. They are rushing their development, and rushing games. This is what creates such gameplay abominations as Sonic 06, and this is what they have to stop. That's where I currently stand in the whole Sonic predicament.

...Sonic rush on the DS is awesome though, which is a perfect example of how they can still keep classic sonic, but update him :)

Also, is it just me, or has every sonic final boss since Sonic Heroes been Super Sonic/Super (other main story character) vs. GIANT MONSTER IN A BLANK DIMENTION!!!!!

...and whatever happened to the hyper emeralds? :\

FallenBlaze
12-25-2009, 08:37 AM
but you gotta admit about the super sonic part of the 06 game was pretty epic, in fact all of the super sonic parts were epic, and so was the music

quakmastr
01-05-2010, 03:51 PM
I honestly feel that after Sonic Adventure 2, the sonic franchise was like a skier going downhill on a huge, snowy slope with the skis mounted to his face. Sonic Unleashed was the point where the skier managed to remove the skis from his face and got them on his feet, but the track downhill was still as fast as ever.

I, like many of you here, grew up with the 2D Sonic games. I also was a slave to the Dreamcast Sonic Adventure demo before my parents bought me the full game. Sonic Adventure 2 was also a beauty in my eyes (until an unfortunate accident with my memory card). I played a section of Shadow the Hedgehog and it was the one of many later games that suffered from control and camera issues. I haven't played Heroes or 2006, but I have heard they were also frustrating.

The daytime, not werehog stages of Unleashed were exactly what I wanted from a 3D Sonic game. It didn't kill you because of terrible controls and glitches and wasn't extra finicky about movement. It was manageable, fast, and fun. The only real complaint I have for the day stages is the lack of sight from oncoming obstacles. Although they didn't kill you right away, they really kill your speed.

I really hope it Sonic isn't a lost cause. Unleashed showed me that Sonic Team is starting to figure things out, but there is still alot of polishing left to do.

One positive thing that has been consistent throughout the games is the music. Crush 40 has been great.

kevinj2010
01-05-2010, 05:46 PM
I must say, Sonic is an amazing character, a great rival to Nintendo's Mario. And my favorite video character EVER! the games were great, the 3D games were quite underrated i find, sonic adventure 1 and 2 were both amazing games, i never play 06 maybe its bad maybe its good, i wouldn't know.

The originals are classic, the original and all the 2D ones.

The spinoff ones were weird to say the least.

chaotix, fun
R, OMG FAIL

and there were A LOT more, but those were the two that stood out to me.

Anyways, as for other media, i LOVED watching the shows, i enjoyed them, Jaleel White (AKA Urkel) actually had a good voice for sonic, at least for the sound childish side of him. the original show was very, awkward, just random road runner like episode, jus with alot more random jokes.

Sonic SatAM, was amazing! well written, cool characters, and the coolest looking robotnik EVER! too bad it only had one season, but they left off on a great note for more seasons. i guess the story will never be continued... :(

Sonic Underground, I dunno, i actually liked this show, i admit the idea of instruments was like, WHAT? but still the songs were catchy and i loved wacthing the show. I don't why they decided to make 2 new characters, but i guess, they needed more hedgehog.

Sonic X, by far the most on topic of the shows, it had the most relevance to the games, in fact it actually had scenes from the games! I still don't understand why he has any of his human friends, they didn't show much purpose, they were very bland characters. At least Christopher had feeling though so i guess he was ok.

BTW i love chili dogs :P

Now on to movies. yes there was a sonic movie. it was based on the genesis games, and although robotnik looked like his game sprite, round and not very evil. but the story was actually really good, the voices were very bad, but they say a few choice words actually. its actually is a good movie, way back in the times of VHS.

Finally, Comic books, I loved them, i had a subscription, they were quite fun to read, had a lot of good stories, but i must admit i didn't read many comic books so i don't have a lot to compare it too.

In the end i love Sonic the hedgehog, great games and all forms of media.

(man i wrote a fair bit :P)

NicoCW
01-05-2010, 06:18 PM
chaotix, fun
R, OMG FAILOther way around for me. I liked R. It was nothing close to a masterpiece, but still a fun game. Chaotix felt far from complete. Having 5 acts in each stage and a half-hearted final boss sequence was a huge turn off. I think it might have been related to the 32x's short life span.

I'm still waiting for that Project Needlemouse thing. I really hope it's either a sequel to Sonic 3, or a sequel to Sonic Adventure 2.

diddyknux
01-05-2010, 10:59 PM
If anyone here has NOT played the fan game Sonic Robo Blast 2, you really need to. Sweet single player, addicting multiplayer, and tons of addon files including characters and level packs. You can find the download for the main game at www.srb2.org (http://www.srb2.org) and the forums there features a section where you can find extra user created content.

Sonic62
01-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Speaking of games like that, Sonic 1 Megamix is amazing!
http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Megamix

It's actually still being worked on, you can find updates here: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=14121

Araman
01-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Hmm, Sega is going to pull a fast one on us all...

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/11/pr ... own-day-1/ (http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/11/project-needlemouse-character-countdown-day-1/)

GoldGameMaster
01-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Hey I got a sweet update about Project Needlemouse right here.
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/11/pr ... own-day-1/ (http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/11/project-needlemouse-character-countdown-day-1/)

And wait.. i'm not the only Sonic Robo Blast 2 Player out there? Sweet! _awesome_

Araman
01-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Jinx 1,2,3! (no jinx back!)

diddyknux
01-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Hey I got a sweet update about Project Needlemouse right here.

And wait.. i'm not the only Sonic Robo Blast 2 Player out there? Sweet! _awesome_

Is Goldgamemaster the netgame handle you use, or is it something else? I just go by diddyknux, same as here.

Also, YES! The journey to Needlemouse begins!

GoldGameMaster
01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Is Goldgamemaster the netgame handle you use, or is it something else? I just go by diddyknux, same as here.

Yes I do use GoldGameMaster.

NicoCW
01-11-2010, 03:30 PM
DUUURRR I TINK FROGGY IZ GOING 2 B PLAYUHBUL!

Obviously not. Froggy, Shade, Chip and Tikal will definitely not be playable.

Just who is this Mr. Needlemouse? Is he a new hedgehog? Or is he a porcupine. That would be cool.

GrimsChild
01-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Hmm, Sega is going to pull a fast one on us all...

Well... That's definatly an interesting way of doing a countdown.

Why Vector and Charmy are Potential playable characters and not Espio I don't know (Also surprised by lack of Tails and Knuckles).

Araman
01-11-2010, 03:33 PM
You guys, no need to wait for the countdown to end, I've figured it out...

[spoiler:2kvgau92]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/cuso26/pikainsombrero.jpg[/spoiler:2kvgau92]

I totally did not see that coming!

GrimsChild
01-11-2010, 03:37 PM

[spoiler:1c1tqmiz]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/cuso26/pikainsombrero.jpg[/spoiler:1c1tqmiz]

It's obviously Ristar 2 godammit!

GoldGameMaster
01-11-2010, 03:44 PM

[spoiler:2ahwnneh]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/cuso26/pikainsombrero.jpg[/spoiler:2ahwnneh]

It's obviously Ristar 2 godammit!

Or Ristar 2: Advenuter with Pikachu in a sombrero.

DavyBones24
01-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Hehe, oh Sega, you never cease to surprise me....

Also, back in the japanese side of Planet Mobius, Sonic Channel got a major design change, looks pretty cool to me.

http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicChannel/index.html

GrimsChild
01-12-2010, 01:33 AM
I'm surprised no-one's bought this up yet.

http://kotaku.com/5445868/sonic-adventu ... -xbla-port (http://kotaku.com/5445868/sonic-adventure-rumored-to-be-next-dreamcast-to-xbla-port)

Sonic62
01-12-2010, 01:41 AM
Speaking of not bringing things up, I've got this:
http://www.sonicretro.org/2010/01/proje ... ble-title/ (http://www.sonicretro.org/2010/01/project-needlemouse-a-downloadable-title/)

Sonic62
01-12-2010, 11:45 AM
It's day 2 of the Project Needlemouse Countdown! Today is on Facebook.
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/12/pr ... own-day-2/ (http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/12/project-needlemouse-character-countdown-day-2/)

The Needlemouse Challenge has arrived on Facebook! The trivia questions for today are:
1: What was the general name for the robot enemies in the early Sonic games?
2: 50 Rings is always nice, but 100 is even nicer - why so?
3: In Sonic 2 for the Genesis / Mega Drive, how many lives was a 'continue' worth?

GoldGameMaster
01-12-2010, 05:21 PM
It's day 2 of the Project Needlemouse Countdown! Today is on Facebook.
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/12/pr ... own-day-2/ (http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/12/project-needlemouse-character-countdown-day-2/)

The Needlemouse Challenge has arrived on Facebook! The trivia questions for today are:
1: What was the general name for the robot enemies in the early Sonic games?
2: 50 Rings is always nice, but 100 is even nicer - why so?
3: In Sonic 2 for the Genesis / Mega Drive, how many lives was a 'continue' worth?

Their goes Charmy and Chip. I still have hopes Froggy will be playable. :lol:

Sonic62
01-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Their goes Charmy and Espio. I still have hopes Froggy will be playable. :lol:
Actually, it's Charmy and Chip that were crossed off. Espio was never on the list to begin with. ;)

Calum
01-13-2010, 11:55 AM
I predict that they will all be rejected aside from Sonic.
You know, to please the old-skool fans and also to majorly troll the newer ones.

GrimsChild
01-13-2010, 11:58 AM
I predict that they will all be rejected aside from Froggy.

My prediction.

And yeah, Space Channel 5 & Crazy Taxi now in Sega All star Racing.

Looks like SEGA's going to make some CRAZY money today!

Calum
01-13-2010, 12:21 PM

My prediction.
Well of course. Froggy is the greatest Sonic character ever. If they really want to please the fans, this'll be HIS game.
I seriously DO like Froggy. And Big. There's something endearing about the two of them which I find... endearing. When my dreams come true and SEGA finally purge the majority of Sonic's cast, I want them to be two of the select few survivors.

GrimsChild
01-13-2010, 12:25 PM

My prediction.
Well of course. Froggy is the greatest Sonic character ever. If they really want to please the fans, this'll be HIS game.
I seriously DO like Froggy. And Big. There's something endearing about the two of them which I find... endearing. When my dreams come true and SEGA finally purge the majority of Sonic's cast, I want them to be two of the select few survivors.

I'd quite like to see Team Chaotix have their own game (K&C didn't really count as Knuckles was the main character). I actually though out of the supporting cast, they were my personal favourites (especially Vector).

Calum
01-13-2010, 12:29 PM
My prediction.

I'd quite like to see Team Chaotix have their own game (K&C didn't really count as Knuckles was the main character). I actually though out of the supporting cast, they were my personal favourites (especially Vector).

Meh. Team Chaotix are... ok. I like Espio a reasonable amount. Another survivor of my dream purge, probably.
Vector was cool in Sonic Heroes but annoyed the hell out of me in Shadow the Hedgehog. Aaand those were the only two games he was in IIRC.
But Charmy...
Brrr.
I want to put a bullet in his head. Now.

GrimsChild
01-13-2010, 12:32 PM

Meh. Team Chaotix are... ok. I like Espio a reasonable amount. Another survivor of my dream purge, probably.
Vector was cool in Sonic Heroes but annoyed the hell out of me in Shadow the Hedgehog. Aaand those were the only two games he was in IIRC.
But Charmy...
Brrr.
I want to put a bullet in his head. Now.

Huh, didn't remember Vector in Shadow the Hedgehog.

And Charmy was annoying but thats the whole point. He was a bee. He's SUPPOSED to be annoying. Unlike Silver the hedgehog AKA the ultimate third wheel.

Calum
01-13-2010, 12:39 PM

..."find the computer room!"?

GrimsChild
01-13-2010, 12:41 PM

..."find the computer room!"?

Oh yeah, Surprised I actually found him so tolerable then. Probably because I was glad it wasn't someone even worse coughOmochaocough

Calum
01-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Omochao

...the pain...
...the unbearable pain...
http://www.court-records.net/animation/karma-break(b).gif

GrimsChild
01-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Omochao

...the pain...
...the unbearable pain...
http://www.court-records.net/animation/karma-break(b).gif

My new fail gif.

[spoiler:2dfc3k2t]http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters3/solbadguy-owow.gif[/spoiler:2dfc3k2t]

On topic: What games would you like to see represented in SEGA racing? I would quite to see Vyse flying the Delfius, or maybe Gilder in the Claudia.

NicoCW
01-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Where the heck is Mighty? C'mon, Sega!
http://ui20.gamespot.com/915/mightychaotix_4.png

Calum
01-13-2010, 03:35 PM

The current Sonic character count is big enough as it is. There's no point in reviving a forgettable one just for the sake of it, really.

GrimsChild
01-13-2010, 03:51 PM

The current Sonic character count is big enough as it is. There's no point in reviving a forgettable one just for the sake of it, really.

Hey! Mighty was cool!

Sonic62
01-13-2010, 03:51 PM

Because Mighty is all sorts of awesome!? _awesome_
I wish Ray and Nack would make a return as well. They keep making new characters when there's so many at their disposal.

Omega
01-13-2010, 05:12 PM

Because Mighty is all sorts of awesome!? _awesome_
I wish Ray and Nack would make a return as well. They keep making new characters when there's so many at their disposal.

one word and that is fanbase, sega's fanbase when it comes to sonic i noticed is they'd rather see new characters instead of side character which is downright sad to be honest

diddyknux
01-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Eh, its more of Sega's Broken Fanbase, (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrokenBase) really. Some people only love the current or old school cast, some want to see only new characters.

...I probably didn't need a link for that, but I love tvtropes so...

NicoCW
01-13-2010, 07:55 PM
I completely forgot about Nack/Fang. He was one of my favorite classic characters. I would love to see him in a future game.

Sonic62
01-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Final Day is today! _awesome_
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/14/th ... final-day/ (http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/14/the-needlemouse-challenge-final-day/)

It's on Twitter today, which I'm sure many of us have, so get to tweeting! Be sure to have #SEGA and #Needlemouse to get trending topics for a bonus!

1: If you locked Sonic 3 onto Sonic and Knuckles, what was the largest amount of emeralds you could collect from special stages?

2: Yuji Naka is credited with much of Sonic’s history, but who is the man that actually designed Sonic?

3: During his creation, what was the Japanese name originally given to Sonic?

GrimsChild
01-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Big the Cat AND Froggy are still on there.

They are going to be the only two names left.

GoldGameMaster
01-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Can't believe Amy was kicked off. :shock:

Now if you excuse me, i'm gonna spam #SEGA and #Needlesmouse and make them trending topics.

Calum
01-14-2010, 02:54 PM

Well duh.

Also if Shadow IS a character in the game I will ragequit life.

GrimsChild
01-14-2010, 03:00 PM

Well duh.

Also if Shadow IS a character in the game I will ragequit life.

Yeah, he REALLY should have stayed dead in SA2 while he was still a decent character.

And £5 that if Mr Needlemouse is a confirmed character that its Ristar.

NicoCW
01-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Pfft, Shadow's gonna be in there although I think his first game should've been his last game, where he was actually cool. Now they're just milking him for what he's worth.

But where's Tails and Knuckles? AT LEAST put them in there! When was the last time we ever got to play as them in a Sonic platformer? Instead, toss them and throw in Shadow? Geesh...

I swear, if Mr. Needlemouse is anything at all like Shadow or Silver, I'm going to give this game up without even trying it.
(Okay, not really.)

Calum
01-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Pfft, Shadow's gonna be in there although I think his last game should've been his first game, where he was actually cool. Now they're just milking him for what he's worth.

But where's Tails and Knuckles? AT LEAST put them in there! When was the last time we ever got to play as them in a Sonic platformer? Instead, toss them and throw in Shadow? Geesh...

I swear, if Mr. Needlemouse is anything at all like Shadow or Silver, I'm going to give this game up without even trying it.
(Okay, not really.)

The whole point of this blog... thing is to troll the fanboys into thinking that all their favourite characters are there, but then the only character on that... thing that will still be in the game will be Sonic.
So even though they're not on that... thing, Tails, Knuckles, and Robotnik are insta-confirmed anyway.
Or that's just my take on it.

GrimsChild
01-14-2010, 03:08 PM
I think his last game should've been his first game, where he was actually cool.

Mind explaining that to me? Because the last Sonic game I remember him being was 06 which was FAR from cool.

Sonic62
01-14-2010, 03:08 PM
I figured that Mr. Needlemouse was just a joke. Mr. Needlemouse being Sonic's first name early in development.

Calum
01-14-2010, 03:09 PM
I think his last game should've been his first game, where he was actually cool.

Mind explaining that to me? Because the last Sonic game I remember him being was 06 which was FAR from cool.
I think he means SA2 should have been the last and only game that he should have been in.
Which is agreeable on every level.

NicoCW
01-14-2010, 03:11 PM

Mind explaining that to me? Because the last Sonic game I remember him being was 06 which was FAR from cool.Bad wording on my part.

I meant, his first game (which was Sonic Adventure 2) should've been his last.

aStupidGecko
01-14-2010, 05:51 PM
I was playing Sonic 3...well guess what happened to me...just watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTj-hvpeqnw

Muzy72
01-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Aww, I wish Amy wasn't out ;_;

diddyknux
01-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Mind you, Shadow IS probably the character in 06 with the best story. (gameplay, I'm not so sure..)

I don't think these'll be it, though. Its hard to see Froggy, Big, or even Shadow in the game without Tails and Knuckles... well, for sure Tails, anyway.

And wouldn't it be a freakin awesome curve ball if Mr. Needlemouse was a codename for Mighty the Armadillo for this game? One can dream, I suppose...

pikminsquad2148
01-15-2010, 06:17 AM
I figured that Mr. Needlemouse was just a joke. Mr. Needlemouse being Sonic's first name early in development.
Yeah, that means its obviously Sonic. >_> Then again if its ANOTHER sonic character, Im gonna explode. Seriously they have enough characters already. >_>

GrimsChild
01-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Mind you, Shadow IS probably the character in 06 with the best story. (gameplay, I'm not so sure..)

I don't think these'll be it, though. Its hard to see Froggy, Big, or even Shadow in the game without Tails and Knuckles... well, for sure Tails, anyway.

And wouldn't it be a freakin awesome curve ball if Mr. Needlemouse was a codename for Mighty the Armadillo for this game? One can dream, I suppose...

If you have seen the cutscene in Sonic 06 where Shadow fights Silver, it's hilarious.

Vyse
01-15-2010, 12:40 PM
The last image is out. Here's who starring in Project Needlemouse:
[spoiler:1u4fx4p5]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4276408713_b15c435ef1_o.jpg[/spoiler:1u4fx4p5]

I like that roster.

Sonic62
01-15-2010, 12:42 PM
And the bonus is concept art of what I'm calling Crabmeat 2.0! _awesome_

http://i49.tinypic.com/2chnj0m.jpg

Calum
01-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Well I am gutted beyond belief.

Why no Froggy?

Sonic62
01-15-2010, 04:03 PM
After taking a second and thinking about it, that badnik would actually be Shellcracker from Sonic 2.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Shellcracker

GrimsChild
01-15-2010, 04:07 PM
[spoiler:2rh5dbh6]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4276408713_b15c435ef1_o.jpg[/spoiler:2rh5dbh6]

I like that roster.

Like anyone couldn't see Sonic being in a sonic game :roll:

TPadz
01-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Well sonic has gained plenty of "forms" throughout the last decade, hope they just mean plain old sonic.

diddyknux
01-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Well sonic has gained plenty of "forms" throughout the last decade, hope they just mean plain old sonic.

...There'll most likely be Super Sonic too, though. Maybe even finally in-level usage.

OHH! Or maybe even Hyper... nah, that's way unlikely.

NicoCW
01-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Spikey-Eared Sonic, Tails-Colored Sonic and Sonic with a Ukelele will all be appearing in this game.

Slowflake
01-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Can we PLEASE not bring up the ghosts of Sonic Underground, please? Sonic should stay as far away from guitars as humanly (hedgehogly?) possible.

Yuso
01-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Anyone ever hear of Sonic Jump? I noticed it on my Sidekick's download catalogue and wondered what that was about. I looked it up and well. Uh.. lol
Some spin-off games are quite the wonder. :P

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/728/728048p1.html

the1stpkmnfan
01-17-2010, 11:00 AM
[spoiler:1fekj3wy]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4276408713_b15c435ef1_o.jpg[/spoiler:1fekj3wy]

I like that roster.

Like anyone couldn't see Sonic being in a sonic game :roll:

Hehe. x3

Anyways, looking back at this thing at Day 4, really, cant believe they would kick off Amy. D:

Sonic62
01-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Anyone ever hear of Sonic Jump? I noticed it on my Sidekick's download catalogue and wondered what that was about. I looked it up and well. Uh.. lol
Some spin-off games are quite the wonder. :P

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/728/728048p1.html
Hmm, interesting. Wonder if I could get it?

diddyknux
01-17-2010, 03:47 PM

I downloaded but... how do I use this? Emulators only seem to like zip files.

GoldGameMaster
01-17-2010, 03:53 PM

I downloaded but... how do I use this? Emulators only seem to like zip files.

Its only useable with cell phones.

diddyknux
01-17-2010, 08:48 PM
You're... serious? That's really crazy.

Or do you think I'm talking about the new one mentioned on this page? No, I mean Sonic Megamix that Sonic62 linked to before... and thinking about it, how would there even be youtube videos from it using a cell phone?

Edit: *Checks links* Yeah, I think you think I meant Sonic Jump.

GoldGameMaster
01-17-2010, 08:53 PM
You're... serious? That's really crazy.

Or do you think I'm talking about the new one mentioned on this page? No, I mean Sonic Megamix that Sonic62 linked to before... and thinking about it, how would there even be youtube videos from it using a cell phone?

Edit: *Checks links* Yeah, I think you think I meant Sonic Jump.

*face palm* What an epic fail on my part. Heh heh.

diddyknux
01-18-2010, 05:02 PM
So I was able to get Version 3.0 of Megamix to work, but again, that's only because it actually was downloadable as a Zip file. Do I need to convert 4.0 or something?

Sonic62
01-19-2010, 01:02 AM
So I was able to get Version 3.0 of Megamix to work, but again, that's only because it actually was downloadable as a Zip file. Do I need to convert 4.0 or something?
Version 4 is actually a Sega CD game, so you'll need the bios files for that.

Blaumagier
01-19-2010, 12:12 PM
There's far more interesting Sonic hacks than just the Megamix (granted Megamix is probably the largest effort, but it was also a collaborative effort of the biggest names in Sonic hacking, including the big guy that first ported Knuckles into Sonic 1 successfully, himself, Stealth).

If you like Megamix you should definitely check out some of the others at Sonic Retro and Sonic Stuff Research Group - I've even got one at SSRG that I'm working on.

Sonic62
01-20-2010, 09:03 PM
There's a Sonic Crackers prototype cart on eBay.
Also included is something called "Pengo".

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Sonic-4-Sonic- ... ideo_Games (http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Sonic-4-Sonic-Crackers-Pengo-2-prototypes_W0QQitemZ280452529353QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUS_Vintage_Video_Games)

Read about it here: http://www.tssznews.com/2010/01/19/soni ... e-on-ebay/ (http://www.tssznews.com/2010/01/19/sonic-crackers-prototype-cartridge-on-ebay/)

Sonic62
01-28-2010, 10:21 PM
OMG! _awesome_ http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/27/pr ... al-reward/ (http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/27/project-needlemouse-community-challenge-2-new-concept-art-and-a-very-special-reward/)

The Challenge: Submit over 100 (total) pieces of Concept Art of your favorite oldschool Badniks to SEGA! Show us which enemies you want to see in Project Needlemouse!

The Reward: If the challenge is met, next week we’ll reveal:

* Project Needlemouse’s Actual Name
* Concept Art from the first Zone
* A very cool extra bonus…

http://i47.tinypic.com/2qsqxlg.jpg

diddyknux
01-28-2010, 10:40 PM
That is awesome

NicoCW
01-29-2010, 05:49 AM
Everyone start submitting Motobugs, Buzz Bombers and Caterkillers right now!

DavyBones24
01-29-2010, 11:24 AM
OMG! _awesome_ http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/27/pr ... al-reward/ (http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/27/project-needlemouse-community-challenge-2-new-concept-art-and-a-very-special-reward/)

The Challenge: Submit over 100 (total) pieces of Concept Art of your favorite oldschool Badniks to SEGA! Show us which enemies you want to see in Project Needlemouse!

The Reward: If the challenge is met, next week we’ll reveal:

* Project Needlemouse’s Actual Name
* Concept Art from the first Zone
* A very cool extra bonus…

Needs moar Metal Sonic! Now!! X3
*goes to draw Metal*

Blaumagier
01-29-2010, 11:33 AM
I will destroy anyone who submits Bomb, Newton, or the starfish guy (forgot the name). Those jokers are... not my favorites >_>

Also, don't forget to submit Crabmeat, Coconuts, Grounder, and Scratch!

GoldGameMaster
01-29-2010, 02:36 PM
I will destroy anyone who submits Bomb, Newton, or the starfish guy (forgot the name). Those jokers are... not my favorites >_>

Also, don't forget to submit Crabmeat, Coconuts, Grounder, and Scratch!
You mean Asteron? Oh that guy has caused me so many deaths.

Anyway I better get some art in. :waiting:

Sonic62
01-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Update!

Friday Jan 29, 2010
The Needlemouse Challenge, Part II: Updates and featured art!

Happy Friday Sonic fans,

Before getting into the artwork (which is awesome) and the total number of entries (which is just as awesome), I wanted to preface this blog with a quick tip of the hat to the hundreds of people who sent in their artwork – great job! Know first that some of you are going to have yours shown internally at SEGA, so take pride in that.

Now then – on to the numbers!
Challenge Update

How are you guys doing so far in regard to our challenge? Well, let’s just say:

If our target had been a ship and your entries arrows, we wanted you to simply fire off one-hundred arrows and hit our ship. That would have been enough.

Instead, you shot one hundred arrows, fired two hundred cannons, launched multiple air-to-land missiles, detonated at least three warheads, and sent the ship splintering into the air in a grand explosion of planks and pieces – of what used to be a target – as they fell, smoking, to the ground. (Note: The term ‘blew it out of the water’ just wasn’t accurate.)

That makes all of us – including, hopefully, you guys – very happy. The challenge has been bested within 48 hours, and as a result next week is going to be the Week of the Hedgehog! The celebration will begin next Tuesday on Hedgehog Day, (step aside, groundhog!) with a special massive swag giveaway and concept art reveal, and will lead into our biggest announcement going live as we approach next weekend. Trust us when we say that February is going to be a very good month.

Now then – to celebrate your success, we’d like to offer you guys additional rewards for continuing to send in your concept art – and some very awesome concept art, at that! So,for every 50 pieces of Concept Art (past 100), we will give away one extra piece of Sonic Merchandise during our Hedgehog Day giveaway!

Oh, and as another bonus, let’s go ahead and dispel away a little rumor that we’ve noticed in the comments:

Project Needlemouse is not an HD version of Sonic 1. These may be old badniks, but when we said all-new adventure, we meant it.

Be sure to check out some of the absolutely AMAZING artwork done by the fans!
They truly are incredible pieces of art!
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/29/th ... #more-4040 (http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/29/the-needlemouse-challenge-part-ii-updates-and-featured-art/#more-4040)

diddyknux
01-30-2010, 10:00 PM
This is just like the blog the creators of Brawl did! _awesome_ But with the addition of fan content and input! _spy_

Blaumagier
01-30-2010, 10:42 PM
This goes to show that whether the fans complain and diss Sonic or not - he's got a powerful following.

Raen
01-31-2010, 01:09 AM
While a little off subject, I thought I'd mention I bought Sonic Unleashed today. It's a pretty good game, I have to say. There's too much Werehog stuff, but it isn't that bad. There's just too much of it. I don't know why the game gets so much hate. And the daytime stuff is FUN. REALLY, REALLY FUN.

GoldGameMaster
01-31-2010, 03:08 PM
While a little off subject, I thought I'd mention I bought Sonic Unleashed today. It's a pretty good game, I have to say. There's too much Werehog stuff, but it isn't that bad. There's just too much of it. I don't know why the game gets so much hate. And the daytime stuff is FUN. REALLY, REALLY FUN.

Blame IGigNortant.

YalWerdna
01-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah, Sonic Unleashed was pretty fun. I am, however, one of the people that thinks that SA2 was the last good Sonic game.

diddyknux
01-31-2010, 03:17 PM

Which version? See, the Wii/PS2 has several (3-5) Werehog acts per continent... but the 360/PS3 version has one REALLY LONG Werehog stage per continent (well, one required one, anyway). So, really, you're getting the same amount of Werehog either way, its just a different approach.

That said, I have the Wii version which is great, and I think the 360/PS3 version looks just as great and in some areas better.

Sonic62
01-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Finally sent in my art. It's actually a picture I drew when I was little. :D
http://i47.tinypic.com/x29nqo.png

GoldGameMaster
02-02-2010, 02:39 PM
http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab162/GoldGameMaster/4325485553_4986b82cf7_o.jpg?t=1265144047

Heres the update.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/02/02/ha ... gehog-day/ (http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/02/02/happy-hedgehog-day/)

Sonic62
02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Here's the concept art revealed today:

Sunflower
[spoiler:3koqwlf7]http://i45.tinypic.com/33jpel1.jpg[/spoiler:3koqwlf7]

Palmtree
[spoiler:3koqwlf7]http://i49.tinypic.com/2hrpqab.jpg[/spoiler:3koqwlf7]

Also, on Sega.com (http://www.sega.com/) is the first bit of some music from the game. They'll reveal more on Thursday, including the actual name of the game!

GoldGameMaster
02-02-2010, 03:14 PM
All the prizes have been one congrats to the winners.

(List subject to change and includes the winners up to the 500th)
[spoiler:2v7d62rk]1: sonic2D3D
5: Sunnysunnysuns
10: SonicTHP
25: LiQuidShade
50: Jbocas
100: bolt7
150: Stasis
200: Jordan
250: James
300: SSC
330: SonarDragon
331: Hatch
332: Brett
333: Darksonic
334: Anthony
400: RGX
450: Good ole JR
500: Narles[/spoiler:2v7d62rk]

The prizes include a Sonic & Metal Sonic Wall Scroll (Featuring classic Sonic – who has black eyes), a brand new Sonic the Hedgehog Clock, a Sonic Towel and more!
The 333rd commentor gets signed copy of Sonic 3, autographed by Iizuka-san, one of the Senior Level designers from the original Sonic The Hedgehog 3 / Sonic and Knuckles team and the winner's coolness is boosted by 10.
Again congrats if you won.

Edit!

UPDATE: Holy cow – we’ve never seen that many comments come in at once before. You guys literally broke our blogs for a few minutes from sheer traffic!

Please sit tight as we approve all the comments so we know exactly who our winners will be – and also, due to the amazing amount of comments that came in, we’re going to add even more prizes to the pot for every 50 comments, starting at 500 and up! We will announce our winners tomorrow in a new blog here!
So keep posting guys. You might win.

ThatGuyWithTheAfro
02-02-2010, 03:33 PM
lawl i remember in elemantary i used to always run with my arms back, sonic got me doing that x3, I love that speedy blue hedgehog and his games :D

GoldGameMaster
02-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Next update! _awesome_

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/02/03/pr ... ht-reveal/ (http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/02/03/project-needlemouse-midnight-reveal/)

What is Project Needlemouse? Well, you’ll soon know. We will be unveiling Project Needlemouse at midnight (US Pacific time) TONIGHT on GameSpot! (http://www.gamespot.com/)

That’s all we can say for now, but you’ll know more in just a few hours! So put on a pot of coffee, and stay up late for all the Needlemouse-y goodness.

Sadly this is 3am for me so i'll miss it. :cry:

diddyknux
02-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Ahh, man! Its goin down tonight! :thumbs:

KingBroly
02-03-2010, 05:30 PM
If they call this Sonic 4...
:fail:

Raen
02-03-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm just hoping they announce it'll come out this month. . .

I can hope, right?

KingBroly
02-03-2010, 05:56 PM
You can hope for 24 more days, then time runs out.

I hope it's going to be $10, but the way they're hyping it, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to charge $20.

Slowflake
02-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Sonic is a lot of different stuff, it seems.

[spoiler:2jevjtpv]http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/129096949289000938.jpg[/spoiler:2jevjtpv]

irishwinger10
02-03-2010, 09:24 PM

[spoiler:333odi2f]http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/129096949289000938.jpg[/spoiler:333odi2f]

Whoever designed that needs to get their eyes checked >_>

NicoCW
02-03-2010, 09:26 PM

[spoiler:1ov328cp]http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/129096949289000938.jpg[/spoiler:1ov328cp]What in the... What is this now? _dead2_

GoldGameMaster
02-03-2010, 09:27 PM

[spoiler:uaoo1vq4]http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/129096949289000938.jpg[/spoiler:uaoo1vq4]

Whoever designed that needs to get their eyes checked >_>

I got a feeling thats a bootleg product made by people with too much time on their hands, in need of a quick buck.

ThatGuyWithTheAfro
02-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I loved the chao garden in sonic adventure 2! So smexi and cute :D and from then i always wanted a pet chao x3

NicoCW
02-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Is Project Needlemouse being unveiled at midnight? If so, what time zone does Sega follow?

DeeVeeDee
02-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm pretty sure it is at Midnight Pacific.

Sonic62
02-03-2010, 10:05 PM
It is Pacific time. Sega being in San Francisco and all... ;)

NicoCW
02-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Crap. Now I gotta wait until morning. Why can't the whole world have the same time?

Sonic62
02-04-2010, 02:12 AM
IT'S SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4!!!!!!

For all 3 consoles, Wii Ware, Live Arcade and PSN!

Looks like it'll be coming in episodes, episode 1 coming this summer!

Here's the trailer: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/ ... e=previews (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/projectneedlemouse/news.html?sid=6249445&tag=hotslot;img;1&mode=previews)

Rust
02-04-2010, 02:18 AM
AWW YEAH HE'S BACK BABY.

Edit: What could this be? New console? The one Nintendo might be announcing at GDC? WHO KNOWS.

[spoiler:2w80s5xs]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3696/wutisthis.png

And then there&#39;s this on the official website:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2659/anddis.png[/spoiler:2w80s5xs]

KingBroly
02-04-2010, 02:43 AM
Episodic...really? I thought the point of downloadable games was to...you know, make games cheaper for the masses. If the total cost ends up being $50, what's the point?

Sonic62
02-04-2010, 02:48 AM
The website actually has content now, there's timers counting down to more stuff.
I guess that there is another system it's coming out on, simply called "???"

http://i47.tinypic.com/or2vtl.png

Oculin
02-04-2010, 02:48 AM
AWW YEAH HE'S BACK BABY.

Edit: What could this be? New console? The one Nintendo might be announcing at GDC? WHO KNOWS.

[spoiler:2u5fs4o5]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3696/wutisthis.png

And then there&#39;s this on the official website:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2659/anddis.png[/spoiler:2u5fs4o5]
PHANTOM LIIIIIIVESSS

[spoiler:2u5fs4o5]Onlive?[/spoiler:2u5fs4o5]

Triforce Saturn
02-04-2010, 02:49 AM
Just watch it be the iPhone :lol:

Oculin
02-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Just watch it be the iPhone :lol:
I wouldn't be surprised, although it still boggles my mind how Mega Man 2 can be playable on a iphone.

[spoiler:37t7msg2]ipad?[/spoiler:37t7msg2]

localretard
02-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Episodic...really? I thought the point of downloadable games was to...you know, make games cheaper for the masses. If the total cost ends up being $50, what's the point?

Technically speaking it is cheaper. If you don't care about continuing the story then you have a perfectly good...oh I don't know 3 hour game for 5 bucks. Seems like a deal to me especially if it's quality.

From a marketing standpoint though, episodic games are an easy way to maximize profits. If a dev can chop up a game into 5 pieces and sell them at lower costs...more people will buy them then instead of that same game on a single format costing equally as much. It's the same concept behind the .99 cents at the end of everything. Besides let's face it the gaming industry is suffering.

Rust
02-04-2010, 03:04 AM
If you look at it from the other way around, people will be like "O no wai man am I gunna pay full price 4 a gaem dat iz 2d il;l jus by a real gaem like moreden warfair too cos dat shiz is dope".
Episodic is a good idea, sure I'd love a hard copy of it but digital distribution is becoming the norm. I just hope they don't pull a Valve and delay Sonic 4: Episode 3 for like 5 years.

Sonic62
02-04-2010, 03:23 AM
For the story in the game, looks like it occurs after Sonic & Knuckles.
From the site:

Our Legendary hero returns! With the Death Egg finally destroyed, and Angel Island back in the sky, Sonic decides it's time to take a break and heads off to explore a new territory on his own. However unbeknownst to Sonic, Eggman has also survived their last encounter, and has begun taking measures to rid himself of our hero. Armed with his signature Speed, super Spin Dash - and powerful Homing Attack, Sonic is ready for an all-new adventure!

KingBroly
02-04-2010, 04:07 AM
By the way, the 4th platform is iPhone (I know this because Sega sucks at keep info secret; there's an image from the site on GoNintendo) and the release is July 2010.

EDIT: There we go
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/KingBroly_photo/promo1.png

skateman222
02-04-2010, 04:18 AM
YES!!! They took the same correct step forward that Capcom took with their reincarnation of the 8-bit Mega Man games. I haven't played the 2d Sonic games enough to enjoy it, but maybe with the release with of Sonic 4, I might get into it! :D

Sonic62
02-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Fun Fact: In the video when they're showing past games, the Sonic sprite used for Sonic 2 is actually the running sprite from Sonic 2 Beta! (Notice the blue swirl legs)

I bet they put that in deliberately for the hardcore fans to find.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2psf1g7.png

Carnage
02-04-2010, 06:16 AM
To be honest I'm actually kind of looking forward to this. :3

pikminsquad2148
02-04-2010, 06:24 AM
WiiWare? I was kinda wishing it would be an actual Wii Game. I'll still looks awesome though! :D

Skeletor1991
02-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Oh man, I really can't wait for the summer. I'm actually surprised this game is coming out so quickly. SO EXCITED!

championj
02-04-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm really excited too. I'm so happy SEGA is going back to the old Sonic games and making them how they used to be. I will definitely be downloading this when it's released.

NicoCW
02-04-2010, 09:08 AM
HWAH!?!?! SONIC 4!!! OMGAWESOME!!!!!

I crapped all my organs out when I saw the update this morning! I was jumping around like crazy seeing that they finally made a direct sequel to Sonic 3! 2010 is going to be EPIC! Now I can't figure out whether I'm more excited for HeartGold/SoulSilver, or this!

I'm also happy about adding the homing attack. I played the Megamix hack, and I thought it worked very well in there, as well as making the game more fun.

fredy31
02-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Project NeedleMouse seems cool... This summer... I can't wait to try it out!

With the trailer I could think that it will be a downloadable game, not a buy-in-store one. Sonic coming back to its roots should be cool, but that reveals too that they may have said "F- it for 3D sonics" which were not all that bad, as professional reviewers try to make us believe.

Sonic and the secret rings was awesome, believe it or not.

Raen
02-04-2010, 10:42 AM
fredy, I actually really hate Secret Rings. ON the other hand, I actually like Unleashed, so yeah, Sonic games get too much hate from critics.

Anyway, on the topic of Sonic 4: It looks interesting, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE WITH A PASSION episodic games, because they are never done well and are never priced intelligently. Here's hoping this game defies that, but I kinda doubt it. Basically, I won't pay more than like 5 bucks if it's a short game (like 3 hours or less), and 10 bucks if it's longer (like 4 - 6 hours).