PDA

View Full Version : [Music] Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy

wiifan_362
12-01-2008, 10:01 PM
an excerpt from the thread "Chinese Democracy"

It's been way too long. 17 years too long. But today is the day. November 23rd, it is released. Guns N' Roses monumentally delayed album Chinese Democracy finally hit shelves. I don't know if anyone cares as much as i do, but this is quite possibly one of the biggest musical events of my life. Hell, i wasn't even alive when GNR released their last material, but i was there for this.

I will keep my review brief. Let me start off by saying this album is AMAZING. The sound we know from the band is here, and obvious, even though almost all of the band has been replaced (Axl Rose being the only original member). I'm very impressed how they have managed to capture their old sound, while propelling GNR into the future. I will now take the time to review the songs individually, which i think will give you a better overview of the album. Here we go:

Chinese Democracy- very edgy, loud, and rocks! Sort of reminds me Welcome to the Jungle, but this is far more interesting. This is one of those songs you will want to listen to ten times in a row.

Shackler's Revenge- Extremely catchy chorus. Featured in Rock Band 2. Verses a different sound for Axl, sort of a dark, mysterious tone. Again, great song.

Better- Another song that I can't get out of my head, a very different sound, for everyone in the band.

Street of Dreams- Not very memorable, piano-y intro. Axl sort of showing off his vocal prowess. Not bad, just really not particularly good either.

If the World- Memorable. But not for a good reason. Far too poppy. I do not mind them trying new things though. Nice try...

There Was a Time- Like "If the World," but a little better. More guitar, Axl singing a lot. Still not a favorite of mine. Not bad though.

Catcher In the Rye- A catchy chorus again. Interesting title. I liked the song. Pretty, ummm, epic. I'm struggling to find a word, but it's a good song.

Scraped- HORRIBLE intro, but it picks up from there. Fast-paced, loud, and heavy. One of the best on the album.

Riad N' the Bedouins- The title is a total WTF, but the song is very good. Awesome guitar solo, memorable refrain. Axl sounds great. Just what is "Riad N' the Bedouins"???

Sorry- Reminds me of "November Rain." Song is FANTASTIC. Epic refrain. Pretty slow, but it is a great song. Sebastian Bach singing in the background. His inclusion was a good choice.

I.R.S- A bit like "Since I Don't Have You" and "Civil War" combined. It's fast at times, then slows down, it's weird, but good. You can hear something in Axl's voice. Listen for yourself

Madagascar- Slow like "Sorry." The middle of the song has a EPIC guitar solo, accompanied by voices, the likes of Martin Luther King Jr. All too much like "Sorry," but has the power of "Civil War." A very powerful song indeed.

This I Love- If "Sorry" is like "November Rain," just call this song "November Rain II." Very instrumental. Almost brought me to tears (well not really). If you are a "November Rain" you are in for a treat"

Prostitute- Another forgettable song. I see no relation to hookers. Like "Street of Dreams," it's not bad, just not memorably good.

I will close by saying that this sounds like it was 17 years in the making. Sure it has it's rough spots, but those songs are just not my type. Any GNR fan will find something they enjoy, and even if you are new to the band, you will enjoy. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys music.

- An OFFICIAL Wiifan review

killerwombat
01-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah... I dont like the album. G&R are not the same. I think that it sounds either like rip offs of some other songs, or something that just doesnt have soul in it. THe original G&R members need to make up and get back together.

Jackash
02-23-2009, 05:21 PM
the album is good but i wish slash was still in the band

Kilgard
02-23-2009, 05:28 PM
the album is good but i wish slash was still in the band

I wish they still had everyone, that Axel fired or quit back. But Axel said in an interveiw not long ago, that GnR will never reunite as long as He or Slash is still alive.

Baltes
02-25-2009, 09:09 PM
I agree with Rolling Stones magazine:
"The biggest disappointment of 2008"

puregamer123
03-21-2009, 11:48 AM
hey!

Yeah, I know its a while since this review was last commented, but due to my love for GnR, I feel like I should say something.

I wanna tell my story about one song that i love.
- Street of Dreams: I'll be honest... I've heard songs from the "leaked" album from this concert GnR had where they played most of the songs from this album. The song that immideatly captured me was a song with a simple, yet memorable riff/solo (sorry, I dont know what to call this part, but it's played on the part of the song that leads to the refrain). This song was called "The Blues", and I've loved this song ever since. When I eventualy got the album, I heard this song, which GnR had given the title "Street of Dreams". It was basicly the same song as "The Blues", but it was a little cleaner (not being from a concert, but rather in a studio). What I didn't notice at first was that they had removed this riff from the song. I really didnt notice it as this riff was "played" in my head every time I heard the song. After a long time, I started to notice that the riff wasn't in this song, so I started looking through the album for this riff, but as I found out: the riff was only found on the "leaked" album.

I know... the riff aint the best riff i've ever heard... it's possibly not even above average, but the thing is that the riff really got into me. This riff alone is the most memorable part of the album for me, even though it isn't on it at all...

RobZombie
03-22-2009, 03:34 AM
Yeah... I dont like the album. G&R are not the same. I think that it sounds either like rip offs of some other songs, or something that just doesnt have soul in it. THe original G&R members need to make up and get back together.

I agree I am a huge G&R fan but I must say I really did not like this album, i mean it was good to hear Axel doing what he does best but something is just missing its almost like he is more in it for the money that the music now which is really dissapointing.

Its sad because a large part of me wishes this cd was never made because it seems to smear the good name of Guns and Roses this band died years ago please let them rest in peace in Rock and Roll heaven or at least up there.....

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCKING ON HEAVENS DOOR