PDA

View Full Version : A small Lets play game to get used to making Lets play?

SOAR
11-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Hey guys,

So I'm thinking of making a lets play but some of the games that I'd want to make would be too long for a first time LPer ( some of these games would be Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon and Riviera the Promised Land). I was wondering if any of you could reccommend some small games that could be made as "getting used to" LP while still being able to have a bit of substance. Hope you get what I'm saying.

Anywho, thank you in advance. _triforce_

pkGamerB
11-22-2009, 02:14 AM
I'm no LPer, but perhaps a short platformer might make for a good first LP. Maybe something like a Megaman or Metroid game would be good. Games like those are pretty easy to get into, since there more action based than storyline based. ;)

GrimsChild
11-22-2009, 03:29 AM
I think Riviera is a good placed to start as I have completed that game and definatly think there is LP Potential.

I personally recommend Mischief makers as it's a fun quirky platformer which I doubt many people have done before and can be commented over easily.

SOAR
11-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Well I'll go to the old game shops tomorrow and see if they have any , if not I'll have to hit ebay ;)

Thanks for the ideas guys

Trombonus
11-22-2009, 08:00 AM
If you are just staring to LP, then I think the LAST type of game you want to try first is an RPG. It requires a lot of time to complete, a lot more than if you were to just play the game on your own time. I started out with a Mega Man game and a side scrolling beat-em-up game before I tackled an RPG and I am very glad I did. It got me used to recording as well as giving me a chance to learn about the programs I was using.

Best of luck!

GrimsChild
11-22-2009, 09:31 AM
If you are just staring to LP, then I think the LAST type of game you want to try first is an RPG. It requires a lot of time to complete, a lot more than if you were to just play the game on your own time. I started out with a Mega Man game and a side scrolling beat-em-up game before I tackled an RPG and I am very glad I did. It got me used to recording as well as giving me a chance to learn about the programs I was using.

Best of luck!

In terms of RPG's Riviera isn't THAT long (I breezed through it in around 14 hours in one playthrough and that was just my first time) And while I dont have much experience with LPing (None at all actually though I do want to gather a group of peopel to do a marathon of Tales of games at some point), the characters in the game themselves can do some of the talkign making commentation less concerning.

SOAR
11-22-2009, 10:33 AM
YEah, I think starting on a non-rpg would be the best. Isn't mega-man over done though?

Trombonus
11-22-2009, 02:20 PM
In terms of RPG's Riviera isn't THAT long (I breezed through it in around 14 hours in one playthrough and that was just my first time) And while I dont have much experience with LPing (None at all actually though I do want to gather a group of peopel to do a marathon of Tales of games at some point), the characters in the game themselves can do some of the talkign making commentation less concerning.
Well, I can tell you that recording an LP makes things a great deal longer. A ten minute clip can take a half hour to an hour to make. You're usually not going to get your best take the first time you record, and even if you do you still have to edit and piece the clip together. However long a game is can take five times that long to record.

Then there's the issue of nerves. When I first started I was extremely nervous while talking, and often didn't plan what I was going to say ahead of time. Meant I had to redo things A LOT. There are a lot of other factors going on besides just playing the game.

SOAR
11-22-2009, 02:26 PM
So you you say to prepare thins to say asides from the game talk?

SilverLPJ
11-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I would suggest not doing games like Megaman or Sonic because they're extremely overplayed on youtube. Try something a little less known and played

Minutes
11-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Less known and less played will be somewhat difficult to catch an attention in my opinion, but it might work.

Shadow of the Colossus anyone? =D

SOAR
11-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Never heard of Shadow of Colossus :oops:

Is it any good?

GrimsChild
11-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Never heard of Shadow of Colossus :oops:

Is it any good?

Yeah, though I think it is more popular than peopel believe

If you want something REALLY obscure and awesome, Try River City Ransom. It's short, fun and remmeerable to anyone who plays it.