PDA

View Full Version : Gama tries to help you get your pokemon in shape!!!

gama-chan
11-24-2009, 08:55 PM
So obviously you have all heard of EV training right???
Well, here are some slight helpful tips on where I have found are the most helpful places to try and EV train for your upcoming gym battles!! :D

so, you all know (it's ok if you don't) that all pokemon, no matter which, gives you something called an EV. But, there are certain pokemon that give off certain EV's, depending on which pokemon you defeat in battle. Here are some helpful spots in which you can EV train!! And anyone should feel free to add any other places and pokemon they can think of :D
NOTE: I do not have Heart Gold/Soul Silver or Platinum, so if I mention any routes in which some of these pokemon may not be in, it's because I have not played these games before.

HP EV's
HP EV's are not that tough to get, they help build bulky tanks (Darn you Blissey :evil:) that ensure a lengthy battle.
The best method I have found for getting HP EV's is...you all guessed it, Bidoofs!
You can find them anywhere really, and they're not that tough to beat!
Another place that helps to get EV's is by fighting Shellos you can find them various places and Gastrodon works great too

Places of interest for HP EV's
Bidoof(1): Pretty Much anywhere.
Shellos(1): The pokedex can help you with this one
Gastrodon(2): Pokedex as well, although there is one trainer (a tuber south of the inn near the swamp city (I forget the name :p)

Attack EV's
Ahh, attackers. The fiercest and strongest competitors around. Attack EV's help to build powerful physical Sweepers that are used to devestate teams! A force to be reckoned with indeed!
Attack EV's aren't too hard to get, they're just a little annoying sometimes, go figure. A good place to so is next to Backlot's mansion (where it begins to rain) there you can find Bibarel and Kricketune, two pokemon which each gives out 2 Attack EV's. They are very common in this area and not too tough to beat.

Places of Interest for Attack EV's
Kricketune (2 Atck EV's): Look up there ^ ha ha
Bibarel (ditto for up there)
Machoke (2 Atck): You can find Machoke at Victory road and near Snowpoint city, be careful though, they are slightly tougher in these areas.

A trainer in D/P south of veilstone has 2-3 goldeen worth 1 attack EV

Defense EV's
The mightiest and toughest of pokemon use these EV's. They also help to build massive tanks, and when used in conjunction with HP, little can get past these pokemon. Defense EV's are for physical attacks only by the way.
Defense EV's Are a little tougher to get mainly because pokemon who have these are scarce or hard to get to. The pokemon that are usually good to fight against to get these are your rocky pokemon; Geodude(1) Graveler(2) Onyx(1) Steelix(2) and if you can find one, Golem(3). The reason I give you these pokemon, is because they're not too hard to KO, but you do need something tough to knock 'em out, so come prepared for a lot of Selfdestructs coming your way :p

Places of interest for Defense EV's
All of these pokemon can be found in caves. Iron Island works terrifically though!

Special Attack EV's
These would be the special sweeping pokemon that we all know about, in fact one such pokemon is GENGAR!!! :twisted: These EV's serve as a powerful counter to physical sweepers...well not a counter, but their complete opposites!
There's only one place I use in Diamond and Pearl where I know you are certain to get plenty of Spec. Atck. EV's and that place is...That mansion place near eterna forest!!! I fail at names...sorry :p There you can all find Ghastly, which gives out one SpAtck EV and also (rarely) Haunter, which can give out 2. You may even find everyone's favorite, Gengar which gives out 3 (that is if you have any generation 3 games inserted into the DS...sorry DSi users :p)

Places of interest for SpAtck EV's
Look up there ^ ha ha

Special Defense EV's (SPDef)
Similar to Def EV's, these help you build up bulky pokemon that can withstand any Special Attack thrown at them...does Blissey ring a bell??
I feel like Tentacool and Tentacruel tend to work best here. They give out 1 and 2 SPDef EV's respectively and you can find them in a variety of surfing areas.

Places of interest for SPDef Ev's
Tentacool(1): Right above SunnyShore City
Tentacruel(2): Same as Tentacool
Mantyke(1): You can also find mantyke there as well!

Speed EV's
These EV's are essential to all sweepers, whether physical or special! With these you can outspeed any enemy and conquer them swiftly!!!
Just like Bidoof, Starly work great to gather up these EV's (1 each) and also Staravia (2). If you have a higher level pokemon that you want to EV train, feel free to do so at the Battle Frontier Area, there you can find Fearow (2) and Raticate(2) as well as their previous evolutions, each worth one each.

A fishermen next to eterna city has 6 magikarp worth 1 speed ev each. with pokerus and the right power item 1 + 4 x 2 =10 in Magikarp's case.
14 comes from Pokémon giving 3 EV's. 3 + 4 x 2 = 14

Places of interest for Speed EV's
Starly(1)Staravia(2) Backlot's backyard works great for these!
Raticate(2) Fearow(2) Ratata(1) Spearow(1): You can find all these in that little area above the battle frontier place (again not sure which route exactly :p)

Well I hope that helps a little!! now get out there and start EV training!! HOO HAA!!!

CodeZTM
11-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Just to add to your list.

A fishermen next to eterna city has 6 magikarp worth 1 speed ev each. with pokerus and the right power item, that's 4+12=16 Speed EV's against worthless pokemon.

A similar trainer in D/P south of veilstone has 2-3 goldeen worth 1 attack EV, and same math as above.

gama-chan
11-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks Code! I'll that right away!!!

Sonic62
11-25-2009, 03:28 AM

A fishermen next to eterna city has 6 magikarp worth 1 speed ev each. with pokerus and the right power item, that's 4+12=16 Speed EV's against worthless pokemon.

A similar trainer in D/P south of veilstone has 2-3 goldeen worth 1 attack EV, and same math as above.
Looks like I better set this straight before anyone goes and uses this math and incorrectly counts their EV's.

It's 14 EV's max.
1 + 4 x 2 =10 in Magikarp's case.
14 comes from Pokémon giving 3 EV's. 3 + 4 x 2 = 14.

CodeZTM
11-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Whoops. Did my math wrong. For some reason, my deranged brain late at night thinks that the power items don't go into the pokerus equation. I phail. xD

And the sad thing is that I had the correct equation sitting in front of me on the paper I use to keep track of EV's for my breeding center. :lol:

awesomedude
11-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Wow, all of that stuff looks really confusing to someone who doesn't play pokemon like myself. :lol: _dead2_

gama-chan
11-25-2009, 03:14 PM

Looks like I better set this straight before anyone goes and uses this math and incorrectly counts their EV's.

It's 14 EV's max.
Math was never my best subject either :p
*still uses his fingers to count* :lol:
I'll add that right away!
EDIT: Awesome, it's not that hard to understand, what can I do to clarify it?

pkGamerB
11-25-2009, 03:58 PM

It's 14 EV's max.
Math was never my best subject either :p
*still uses his fingers to count* :lol:
I'll add that right away!
EDIT: Awesome, it's not that hard to understand, what can I do to clarify it?Serebii's IV calculator now has a feature that allows you to add up the EVs you'd get from battling different Pokemon (including settings for Pokerus and Power items/Macho Brace). Just put in your desired settings and it'll do the rest for you. serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml (http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml)

I don't even worry about trying to do the math anymore. :lol:

ConnorTheCastform
11-25-2009, 06:17 PM
tis is why i dont ev train. its time consuming and in my case pointless since i suck at wifi all together. also if i may add in quite a few of byrons and roaks and berthas pokemon give good def evs. its worth while to re fight them for evs when you get the chance.

biscoti
12-24-2009, 01:46 PM
I'd like to add that once you receive the PokéRadar chaining Wobbafetts are an amazing way to stock up on HP EV's. And you can easily find them between lvls 3 and 4 in the grassy area at Lake *mumbles* near the beginning area of the game =D. But of course chaining is difficult to do but does make EV training easy if you aren't chaining to get a shiny. And if you actually want a challenge you can chain higher level Wobbafetts at the other two lakes.

awesomedude
12-30-2009, 02:43 PM
EDIT: Awesome, it's not that hard to understand, what can I do to clarify it?

Whoops, kinda ignored this forum after I posted :oops:

Thanks for the offer to clarify, but I don't really have an interest in learning, seeing how I don't play pokemon. I was merely just stating how big and confusing it looks to someone who doesn't play.

mr-saturn
01-21-2010, 12:20 PM
i didnt know about ev training till i just looked it up _dead2_

Wallace
01-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Question, If I were to EV train a Milotic, where should I put the EVs?

Dark_Weavile
01-23-2010, 08:16 PM
depends what you want to use it for

if you want a special wall, hp and sp def
if you want a general wall, hp and def
if you want a speciall attaker, sp atk and hp

you can play around with it a little so that you can boost more than just two stats

Wallace
01-23-2010, 08:21 PM
depends what you want to use it for

if you want a special wall, hp and sp def
if you want a general wall, hp and def
if you want a speciall attaker, sp atk and hp

you can play around with it a little so that you can boost more than just two stats

Hmm thanks.. I'm sure Milotic is a special def type of pokemon, based off of how hard he is to kill when I fight him using Special moves..

Dark_Weavile
01-23-2010, 09:11 PM
if you want advice on ev spreads u could also go to Smogon.com

nriable
06-23-2010, 07:03 PM
another place for physical EVs is in from of feugo iron works, and using the poke radar, grind defense EVs with aron of magnimite(or is it Sp.Atk?) and north of oreburg south of the cycling road, grind machops and ponyta's for atk.

nriable
06-23-2010, 07:04 PM
also tentacruel and tentacool for Sp.Def

Dark_Weavile
06-23-2010, 07:05 PM
nriable this topic is celebrating its 5 month anniversery of abandonment, i'm pretty sure that answer the question now would be moot

csadude
06-26-2010, 06:23 PM
i'm just wondering, how would you EV train post elite 4?

Ashigaru
09-12-2010, 01:51 PM
In HG/SS, an easy spot to get HP EVs is in the Slowpoke Well. While surfing, all you encounter are Slowpokes with 1 HP EV.

abyssmalstar
11-08-2010, 11:15 AM
I would also like to point out that the following berries LOWER EVs in case you mess up:

Pomeg Berry - Lowers HP EVs
Kelpsy Berry - Lowers Attack EVs
Qualot Berry - Lowers Defense EVs
Hondew Berry - Lowers Sp. Attack EVs
Grepa Berry - Lowers Sp. Defense EVs
Tamato Berry - Lowers Speed EVs

They also add to the happiness of the pokemon!
But be wary when using them when you are already almost done, because if you have 100-255 EVs It will lower it down all the way to 100, and then from 100 it will lower down 10 ev's each time
So to blank a full stat, it would take 11 of the stat's berry