PDA

View Full Version : Spin-offs

StandAlone3
03-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Are there any spin-offs that are as good as the original or maybe even better?

windows98
03-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Ace Attorney Investigations was pretty good.

Oculin
03-08-2010, 12:31 AM
I would say it is far from "as good as" but I enjoyed Dirge of Cerberus much more then Final Fantasy 7 itself.

I also thought Dragon Quest Swords was overall more enjoyable then Dragon Quest 8.

CodeZTM
03-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Shin Megami Tensai Persona 3 FES > Shin Megami Tensai Persona 3

It's what the first game SHOULD have been. And I'm talking both discs when I say FES.

Oculin
03-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Shin Megami Tensai Persona 3 FES > Shin Megami Tensai Persona 3

It's what the first game SHOULD have been. And I'm talking both discs when I say FES.
Isn't that more of a remake rather then a spin off? o.o I haven't played Persona 3, so I cannot say.

Masamune
03-08-2010, 10:52 AM
MegaMan Battle Network and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest spring to mind. :P

StopDropAndBear
03-08-2010, 03:02 PM
The Pokemon spinoffs are kind of hit and miss, but...I love Pokemon Snap forever and ever.

GrimsChild
03-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Does King of Fighters count? That was techincally a spin off of Fatal Fury

Anyways things which spring to mind are Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Pokemon Trading Card Game, Final Fantasy Tactics, Digital Devil Saga 1+2, Tales of VS, Jump! Ultimate Stars (A spin off of Shounen jump is a way), Marvel vs Capcom 2 (I think that counts as a spin off) etc.

StandAlone3
03-08-2010, 07:45 PM
The Pokemon spinoffs are kind of hit and miss, but...I love Pokemon Snap forever and ever.
I agree that pokemon snap is amazing, but, I don't think there is a spin-off game better than the main.
I've also heard good things about final fantasy tactics, but I haven't tried it personally.

Slowflake
03-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is the textbook definition of that kind of game.

GoldGameMaster
03-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Tails' Sky Patrol and Tails' Adventure are pretty good spin offs of Sonic.

the1stpkmnfan
03-08-2010, 09:11 PM
I guess Luigi's Mansion and Super Princess Peach are a few of my favorite Spin-Offs. :P

But especially Pokemon Snap as well, same with Pokemon Ranger 1-2 (soon to be 3). Very quite fun. x3

ThatGuyWithTheAfro
03-08-2010, 09:20 PM
The sonic storybook collections were both good. Kinda makes you wonder whats next..im guessing a sonic/robin hood game?

GoldGameMaster
03-08-2010, 09:22 PM
The sonic storybook collections were both good. Kinda makes you wonder whats next..im guessing a sonic/robin hood game?

Rumors tell of a Greek/Mythology setting next. Perhaps Sonic will go Hercules on us. ;)

Anyway, the Story Book series is awesome. _awesome_

ThatGuyWithTheAfro
03-08-2010, 09:37 PM

Rumors tell of a Greek/Mythology setting next. Perhaps Sonic will go Hercules on us. ;)

Anyway, the Story Book series is awesome. _awesome_

O-o Hurcules....then that means....(PEGASUSUSUSSSSUSUZZZZ!), My moneys still on Robin Hood cuz i guess they wanf to have sonic jumping around like a ninja shooting arrows into the heart of the greedy, but then...i wouldn't want sonic wearing tights and the game about running around jacking someones money and giving it to a hobo because then who would be the bad guy? So imma lean towards the greek mythology, cuz theres a 98% chance hades would be the bad guy and dobt forget the..,(PEGASUSUSUSSSSUSSUUUUSSUZ)

Sonic62
03-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Well, there goes what I was going to say. :D

Oculin
03-09-2010, 08:30 AM
I guess Luigi's Mansion and Super Princess Peach are a few of my favorite Spin-Offs. :P

Oh my, These.
I like Super Princess Peach more then New Super Mario Bros.

Luigi's mansion is amazing, but it is a completely different type of game to the main series so I don't really compare them.

PekoponTAS
03-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I love spin-offs a lot, so I have quite a few on my list.

I really like Ace Attorney Miles Edgeworth, but I really can't get into Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright. I just like Miles as a character a lot more, and I like how very little of it takes place in the boring old courtroom.

Prinny Can I Really Be the Hero is a lot better than Disgaea because it's a fun platformer, whereas Disgaea is a frustrating clunky strategy RPG type thing.

I love the Pokemon RPGs a lot, but I still to this day say that the original Pokemon Ranger, and maybe even the second one, are better than the main series. Let's face it, the Pokemon RPGs have gotten stale and have always been somewhat boring, whereas Pokemon Ranger was intense, innovative, fun, had a much better story, had much better characters, and was much harder than your average Pokemon RPG. (well, at least the FIRST Ranger game was hard.)

I'm going to have to wait and see about Dragon Quest. At this point I've only ever played Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime, (which was awesome) but I might be getting Dragon Quest IX on DS when it comes out.

As for Mario Spin-offs, there still aren't really any that are BETTER than ALL of the main Mario games. (Mario RPG comes EXTREMELY close to beating the greatness of Sunshine though)

CardiacHero
03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics, although I don't like the first one, the PSP port fixes all of the problems and Advance and A2 are amazing. I've logged over 400 hours on A2.

Kennyan
03-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Does Portal count as a spin-off considering its connection to the Half-Life series? If so, then that..

Calum
03-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Does Portal count as a spin-off considering its connection to the Half-Life series? If so, then that..
This.

Oh, and Pokemon Colosseum and XD, Donkey Konga, Luigi's Mansion and the Mario Karts spring to mind.

GrimsChild
03-11-2010, 11:11 AM
As for Mario Spin-offs, there still aren't really any that are BETTER than ALL of the main Mario games. (Mario RPG comes EXTREMELY close to beating the greatness of Sunshine though)

Damn, reading that made me remember one.

Paper Mario AKA, my favourite Mario game.