PDA

View Full Version : Getting ideas across without it looking like plagiarism

SOAR
04-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Hey guys,
Sorry for not posting much in the past two months, I've had all of my practicals for my colleges so all of my focus went onto them.

But now that I am back I am willing to take on a new project, A lets play of Kingdom Hearts : Chain of memories. I know loads of people are against doing a RPG as a first LP but I think that ,while I do know a copious amount about the series, it is a GBA game with a lot of cut-able repetition so it can end up being short-ish.

Now this is the problem I have come across
I was doing a load of random test videos to see how I would like it to be edited and stuff to include, I showed one of my friends one of the test videos to see if they thought it worked. Their reaction was something similar to "OMG, thats just like Chuggaaconroy with his pokemon data thing at the start of each area". Some research later and I see that their are some similarities between what I had planned to do and what he is doing. I wouldn't want to put this out now as it might seem like I am plagiarizing his ideas.

So my question to is:

How did you avoid plagiarism of other Lets Players in your videos?

Also, would you even care if what you planned was similar to what other people are doing?

Cheers in advance xD

Maram123
04-11-2010, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't call what you're doing, PLAGARISM. I'd say go for it. If you did a game like pokemon, it may seem like you're ripping off Chuggaa, but Kingdom Hearts: CoM is so different, it won't seem like copying.

SOAR
04-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Woops,my bad, European spellings and what not.

Thanks for that advice. I suppose it's just me being a tad bit paranoid and now wanting to get off on the wrong foot in the Lets Pay community.

Araman
04-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Plagiarism isn't copying an idea, it's taking someone's work, word for word, and trying to pass it off as your own. Many many people have had their own ideas that they brought to fruition that they swore up and down was original (myself included), but it ended up not being so. There's no problem with that. As long as that idea isn't so darn close to the original that it's suspect, I really wouldn't worry about it.

If you can make an already great idea better, that's progress, not plagiarism. Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery, no? :)

Farplane
04-11-2010, 07:41 PM
While this is certainly not the end-all solution to every plagiarism case you can find, for this particular case you should just ask and tell Chuggaa about it, I'm sure he'd be just fine with it.

Mr_Saturn
04-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I was originally going to do enemy bios for an LP, and chugga was okay with it. I mean, how many other ways are there to do it?
I never did enemy bios though, I found I enjoyed simpler LP's anyway.

SOAR
04-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Right so.

I'll try and ask Chugga if that would be okay " but to be honest I wouldn't even know where to contact him at " and see if he does not mind.

If I get no word I'll take it as a no opposition rule then, I guess

wee187
04-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Personally, I think it's fine. I mean, think about how people make AMV's on youtube, for instance. You can't just jump into making one without ever seeing one before you try. You need something to get the motivation from, and if similar ideas result, or are coincidentally the cause of that, then I say that's awesome. It's not plagiarism at all, just when more than one person does something, it becomes more or less a trend.